1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8.71.3 Catalyst 10.3 Preview (Press Drivers)

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by rflair, Feb 19, 2010.

1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cat 10.3 should install on most other cards with no problem. As pointed out already they may have already maxed out performance with the older cards. I wouldn't tinfoil it with a conspiracy that they are trying to hamper performance on those older cards. From what I've read around the next is that there is either no performance gain or little performance gain with some 4000 series cards. That tends to prove that point IMO.

2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    What for when they are already running at max performance? You can only milk a cow so much man.

3. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    My point was that the 10.3 drivers dropped performance on my 4870. If they increase performance hey that's great but don't decrease the cards performance. So far all the 10 series drivers have been a problem with one or more different cards. The 10.2 drivers are good for my 4870 but dropped performance on my brothers 5670. He had to revert back to the 10.1 drivers.

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ what he said

remember, these are leaked betas for the 5K cards - they could be using year old drivers for the 4K cards, internally

5. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good Point. :)

6. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    You maybe having a problem. I'm not reading that kind of issue on the other forums. One sign is that a specific previous Cat driver is working just fine (I've been there myself). Could you check to see if there are other devices that your OS is recognizing? Here is how to do it:

1. Type: CMD in start's search box
    2. Right click on CMD from the list and Run as Administrator
    3. At the dos prompt type: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 (this will show all hidden devices in Device Manager)
    4. Type devmgmt.msc (this will take you to Device Manager). Click on View and select show hidden devices
    5. Look in Display Adapter for any grayed out duplicate video cards or other video cards
    6. Goto Monitors and look for gray out monitors or any old monitor devices.
    7. Goto to Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Are there duplicate ATI High Definition Audio Devices?

If you are finding duplicates or other previous installed devices that are grayed out you should uninstall them. But that's the cheap and dirty way of doing it. There is no guarantee that your OS won't re-install them on next boot. There is a more in-depth way of doing this. But this should at least show you if other devices are present or not.

Also as already mentioned the beta 10.3 Perview drivers may not be using the most current drivers for your card.

Exeodus and sweeper say thanks.
  7. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, found some duplicates and older hardware under the video card and monitor.

8. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    If you delete them it may cause you to lose your backup Cat Driver which kicks in once you've uninstalling your current drivers. Your desktop resolution and appearance will change (no Areo for example). However, once you uninstall your current monthly driver (in this case Cat 10.3 preview) you should be able to force a windows update to get that 4800 series driver and install it, then reboot. Then install Cat 10.3 preview drivers

At this point however, I suggest that you remove all duplicate and old grayed out devices mentioned earlier. I also suggest that you disable your pagefile then reboot your PC. Check again to make sure they are gone then re-enable pagefile.

9. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Mussels says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  10. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    I deleted all the duplicates. I'll wait till the 10.3 full release comes out. Right now with the 10.2 drivers it runs very well. Gaming is great with this card and my budget. So really can't complain to much. I did a full reboot and so far so good.

11. REVHEAD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Easier way is to go into -
    1 - Device manager
    2 -select view, then select show hidden devices
    3 - look for old devices and then delete then along with old versions of the drivers.

Exeodus says thanks.
  12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i like the look of this 'ghostbuster' app, to be honest..

13. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    after seeing EastCoasthandle's results in vantage/crysis I just have to try these, downloading now.

14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Post back with results man.

15. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    My experimentation with manual manipulation of the registry for Windows 7 has been equivalent to eating defecation. Even naming yourself part of the operating system causes issues with hardcore registry edits like we used to do with XP and even Vista to a point. Guess I better polish up my coding skills.

I used to cleanup a system and could recover a system with issues back to clean install status almost, now no more.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  16. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Definitely faster in crysis and vantage as EastCoasthandle's results showed, I'll see about getting some comparisons up

17. dies900 New Member

Thanks Received:
    themailman is right everyone who are using not the 5000 series drivers dont install yourself beta...
    it has no use for you...hd 4000 series users had their drivers optimized long before hd 5000 came out!so dont expect any performance increase anymore its allready performing very nicely!
    hd4000 users one question for you do you have any problem running games maxed out except offcourse crysis and warhead? and if you do then call a professional to tweak your machine!So dont install any betas!and official drivers will be no performance improvements for you also!
    Sorry if I posted this a littlebit late but everytime I see new drivers come out betas or official hd 4000 users are complaining over nothing Its just not polite towards ati!you want perfomance improvements?buy a new graphics card:D (not offensive post I´m actually laughing):D

18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    dies900: we actually DO get improvements in these new drivers, its just that these drivers are SPECIFICALLY aimed at 5K cards - no one else should use them.

19. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    these things are giving me the same issues as 10.2, No CCC when my nvidia card is enabled. So now im using the 9.12 CCC with these new drivers. Kinds sucks cause you need the new CCC inorder to use the new opencl stream sdk. I hope they dont continue doing this.

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    its no different to physX being nuked when you run ATI cards. Neither company is playing nice for dual-vendor setups.

21. Shadowdust

Shadowdust

Thanks Received:
    I haven't downloaded 10.3 for my desktop but I did for my laptop which only has a little 3450 in it. Surprisingly, I did get a small performance improvement on The Last Remnant and Left 4 Dead 2. Both are running about 2-4 fps faster though it is still in the low 20's most of the time. Nonetheless, an improvement. I'm interested to see how this update will affect those with higher end mobility cards.