1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

802.11ac: Gimmick or Legit?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Avelict, May 18, 2012.

1. Avelict

Avelict

Thanks Received:
    So as I'm sure all of you know, several large companies have now either already produced the next gen of wi-fi capable routers or announced to release one. With now seeing 802.11ac adapters, I ask this, will it flop? With this new tier of wireless networking, can we expect new security protocols? How soon can we see this standardized by the IEEE?
  2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    If its a minor change and doesn't cost much to make/sell than ppl will buy it, why not you know?

But if it does cost substantially more than I too would ask or consider is it a gimmick?
  3. Avelict

Avelict

Thanks Received:
    Thats another main concern, is the price of the supposed 'gig wifi'. I mean, I suppose the only reason you'd want it is if you move considerably large files around your WLAN often.

My prediction is ac becomes too expensive for the average SOHO consumer and becomes a niche enterprise solution.
  4. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    I love the theoretical throughput, but I am worried that the signal will have terrible range. For example, with WiFi N we got better speeds in ideal situations, but worse range using the 5ghz spectrum.