1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8120 stock at 39idle 60load

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by lordjohn, Jul 22, 2012.

1. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

I called the shop, the shop will send me a replacement mainboard, I will test on that one with coolermaster with 2 fans, if not working, then I have to go with water cool.

2. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wait, why?

Your temperatures are fine I don't understand :S

FX processors have a turbo mode, on your chip turbo runs the chip at 4ghz and runs 1.42 volts through it. So your maximum temperature of 47 degrees is when that is happening.

That's a good temperature for that amount of voltage! Infact you could probably run 1.35-1.38 volts through switch turbo off and have your maximum CPU speed for all 8 cores be 4ghz-4.2ghz and never go over 50 celcius : /

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
    lordjohn says thanks.
  3. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

the max temp for 47c on core was not stress testing, it was bf3 for 3 mins, I turn off OCCT after 1min when seeing the socket temp got 62c, my socket temp is always 20c+ above the core temp, either cpu is hot or socket senor is not correct. I hope I can do a stress test.

4. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

Final results

THANKs every one for the help, 8120 is fast and running happily

I did not ask for mainboard replace just cause of the temps, but there was few scratches on the back of the board, the bios was set by someone(surely not msi), such as fsb, vcore, etc, it was not auto at the first time, I had to clear bios to get default setting.

any way the new board arrived, I set up with asetuk 90mm all in one water cool, now, for cpu demanding game, bf3 core max at 37c, socket max at 55c, OCCT 20min core max 38c, socket max 56c. I added 1 fan for water cool, total 5 case fans(2x120,3x80). 2 cpu fans(2x90) and 1 power fan(1x120)

idle temp is good 36 to 37c socket

the cooler master is now on i7 960, which i used to put the asetuk 90mm water cool on, the cooler master is working, occt 20min max core for i7 at 69c, socket at 56c.

above tested all at room temp 26-27c

for 8120 everything i use auto in bios, only vcore i set to 1.312, and the fan speed 100%(pump speed)

Web shopping is good, we get best price, save gas, but we can not check the product before paying, for things with out a seal, such as camera, mainboard, etc, it may happen that the shop send us a returned product.
    I had set up many system before, most low end and some high end system, I used to go to IT shops, and carefully select the parts that has no seals, but it become more and more difficult with web shopping nowadays. manufacture date can only tell us that the product is relatively new, but whether the product was returned by someone totally depend on the trust of the shops

5. lindy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good to see that you got everything sorted out. :)

6. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Idd, good to hear:) The only thing i'm wondering about is why you customised your Vcore while leaving the rest on stock/auto?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    lordjohn says thanks.
  7. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    there was nothing wrong with what they sold you period
    your temps where within safe limits to begin with

Mathragh says thanks.
  8. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

I did few tests with OCCT yesterday, I had to lower the NB volt and the CPU NB volt as well, Now CPU is not hot, but NB is hot, under OCCT my NB can go to 70c, and one time the windows freeze under OCCT, I think NB related.

NB at 1.045
    CPU NB at 1.12

I will put a aftermarket heatpipe on that NB,

8120 is fast for CPU demanding game, but for Tom's Future soldier, I still got only 25fps on 1080p, high setting, most effects off.

9. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    one more question

I have high temp of temp 1 on HW monitor, cross check with msi monitor
    temp 0 is cup socket
    temp 1 not sure, don't have on msi monitor
    temp 2 system, i assume system is NB

so temp 1 is VRM, it become hot when cpu is under load,

in air con room, temp of 27, VRM can be at 68c after 20mins of OCCT

I even put a 70mm fan there

VRM is hot, how hot is the max?

someone say it can go 125c, so 68 is safe?

Thanks in advance