1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8800 GTS 512 low fps or normal?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Gamax, May 22, 2008.

1. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got a new xfx geforce 8800 GTS 512 and it's been working really well on FPS's. I just tried Company of Heroes and running it on everything at max (ultra textures) at 1280x1024. Did the performance test and it showed a 105 fps on average. Expecting to see decent results in game, I played the first couple of missions, with an average of 35-40 dipping into the 20's under firefight. Running it on dx9 on windows xp 32 bit.

The nvidia panel is at defaul (everything's controlled by the application).

Is this normal, or should I expect more? Rest of system is

Opteron 170 at 2.0ghz
    2 GB ocz platinum dual channel pc3200
    enermax liberty 500W
    msi k8n neo4 platinum motherboard

Ps. every driver and game is patched up to date.

2. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    No that sounds very low.

Check my stats
    <===========

I get constant 75 fps all settings max , resolution 1024x768.

Maybe your opty is bottlenecking your system ?

3. Temps_Riising

Temps_Riising New Member

Thanks Received:
    Disable "Force Verticle Sync" in control panel, then check the FPS....you should see a decent improvement. Also the 1GB of RAM wont be doing you any favours in COH.

bigtye says thanks.
  4. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    Vsync is disabled. My specs are updated (2gb and the 8800 GTS 512)

it's only on the missions though, I played skirmish and was getting constant 80 FPS with the settings I mentioned. Was also using fraps to see the fps.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the best way to check if your GTS 512MB is up to par is to run 3dmark06 benchmark and see how it compares with other systems with same card and same/similar pc specs.

6. Focus182 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yours processor will be bottlenecking it ... i had a amd sempron 3400 @ 1.8Ghz and it was even bottlenecking my 8600GTS alot ! so your 8800GTS will be bottled like crazy

7. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    i agree. my core2duo can even be a little bit of a bottleneck at times

8. Temps_Riising

Temps_Riising New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed but if he is getting 80fps in skirmish but then a huge drop in missions that just seems stange to me.

9. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I think it might be the cpu. Skirmish maps are alot smaller than the campaign one's and alot less AI than the campaign one's too.

10. Temps_Riising

Temps_Riising New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fair point there!

11. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    I would say it is your CPU. The 170 is a highly OC'able chip. Anything you can get out of it will be a big help to feed that video card.

12. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    truth. I'll be overclocking today as well as downloading 3dmark06 and checking out. Thanks all, I'll report the results later.

13. Xaser04

Xaser04

Thanks Received:
    It definately sounds like a cpu bottleneck to me (rts are known for being more cpu bound than gpu bound)

As a quick quide the pc in my specs (not the laptop) scores 12.5k with a 8800GTS. :)

14. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya, I haven't really seen that much of an upgrade in game if at all (I was using a x1950 xt) also WoW, not really any fps increase. I'm guessing both games are more CPU dependant than GPU.

HL2 Episode 2 I'm running at max all 8XMSAA 16XAF full HDR 1280x1024 and it's never been below 45 fps even on intense firefights (Just dipped into 30's on that vortigaunt reviving alyx animation thing). Can run STALKER pretty good too.

15. 3xploit New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's probably your cpu, my e6300 at stock speeds bottlenecks my 8800gts 512 a lot. Try ocing your opteron and it'll lessen the bottleneck.

16. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Too right any games with AI in it e.g RTS and RPG are a bit more dependant on the CPU than other games. My GT is bottlenecked by my 6000 and I get about 30 fps when I know it can do more in company of heroes.

17. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been getting some really strange issues since today, for example, I play WoW in windowed mode, and all of a sudden the cursor in wow (the little silver hand) will appear instead of the default windows cursor or vice versa in games, and it's really annoying. Before it started happening my system froze I remember and I had to manually reboot.

There's no temp issues with my card, I was playing and it was hitting 55C while it happened, also the CPU temps are below 40C. Ran the stability thing on the Control panel and it all passed, but this cursor thing is really annoying. It has the latest drivers and all. I may reformat later today though when I installed the new RAM and the gfx I did a cmos restart, just have no idea why this happened, does anyone have any idea?

18. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    I had some strange issues today as well with company of heroes; latest drivers, temps 40's, stock speeds etc. My problem was that CoH would display a black screen and crash, the drivers would restart itself and I could continue and sometimes it would make me manually restart my pc aswell. I would suggest that before you reformat is to uninstall the nvidia drivers and reinstall them again because that is what fixed my glitches. Temps look really nice for that card btw.

19. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I had an ATI card before, and I'm pretty sure I removed all the ati drivers before physically swapping the cards. But I will format just in case.

Also the CD that came with the card freezed my system =/ so I downloaded the drivers from the nvidia website. Heh WoW was in windowed mode so I dunno I should see the temps when it full loads while playing STALKER. What software do you use to measure the temps on your card?

And yeah my card is getting bottleraped by the CPU, only a crappy 8000 points on 3dmark06. I saw similar results with same system configurations

20. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    I ran the FurMark stability test for 35 minutes and it was all good. The max temperature was 67C. So it's probably drivers that are causing that to happen?

21. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Could be a driver issue, check the nvidia and WoW forums to see if anyone else is experiencing the problem. Format if you want and reinstall drivers etc then if the problem persists try modded drivers on 3dguru. 67 is way better than my temps on stock lol I used to get 95 at idle because the fan broke.

22. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya, I have tested all my parts for stability and errors and everything's good. Hasn't happened though for a while so I guess just wait and see.

23. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    CPU bottleneck. An opternon 170? What the heck?

24. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Do the optys use AMD's Dual Core Optimizer? If so, make sure you've got that installed too; a must have for some games.

25. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    Huh?