1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8800 GTS / GT and power supply query

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Munkul, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi, all, its been a long time ;)

anyways, i NEED to replace my now venerable X800GT02 with a new card, for obvious reasons.

the thing is, my power supply is a crap generic 500w one, it has a connector for PCI-E, but theres no way im plugging a 8800 into it :laugh:

so im confused, some people say i need a PSU with 2 PCI-E connectors, but others say i need a single one, but with a good ampage on the 12v rails, so could someone set out a list of CHEAP PSUs that would do the job nicely, please?

also, its a choice between the GTS and the GT, i know that the GT is faster, but its unreliable....?

and also i have a waterblock already for the GTS, bought it for my cousin's build, but he hasnt got the cash to buy it all at once, so by the time he gets a card (he only wants the best, so it wont be a GTS anymore that he wants)

so, the best option for me would be the GTS, is there any chance that i could get a 8800GTS and a good PSU for around ₤200?

cheers all :toast:

2. xman2007

xman2007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Munkul says thanks.
  3. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually thats perfik. il just buy that now :)

is there anything against buying new or almost new cards off fleabay?

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    8800GT and GTS us a single PCI-E power lead. 8800GTX and ultra use two.

I have seen a GT running on an older 500W PSU, if i were you i'd give it a shot, but be prepared to get another PSU if anything goes wrong (its far more likely to crash/slow down in games, than it is to damage any hardware)

ebayed cards may not have the full bundle you'd get retail, yiou cant return if its broken... and warranty is a bitch. some companies wont accept an RMA if you dont have the original purchase receipt, and dont accept ebay since its second hand.

Edit: stealthXstreme will own the GT, i've SLI'd GTX's on one before, and it ran perfectly with (with molex to PCI-E adaptors, of course)

Munkul says thanks.