• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8800 GTS Temps worrying

uhhhh?

What? How the F would they know if you used it in that state or not. It is your card now, you can use it however and wherever you want.

simple. because i told him. i informed him that the temprature "monitered" wa high. he said and i quote that it's "dangerous and harmful". I coudn't refuse the unwanted RMA because it would raise suspicion. (am I right in saying that nobody has said this before?)

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I Know it might seem mad but I am looking for something in midrange performance category of 2008 (4770s, 9600s,...) to replace my 260. I had a Leadtek 9600 s-fanpipe and it had green PCB. and single slot cooler and it was lovely. and I mainly like the bottleneck to be on the GPU. I am funded enough to get a 560Ti or a 6870 but I don't like them at all. black pcb on everything nowadays...

So you are going to sacrifice performance for color of PCB......

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings
black also means higher temps....

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
LOL maybe if your videocard is in direct sunlight :roll:

that was a joke right? You are really trying to pick a card with a green PCB?

GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI V3 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) ...

That's greenish... there ya go.

First that's got a gigabyte badge on it and that around here (secret) adds about 70-80% to the list price. then that's not green or greenish. that's the usual ridiculous gigabyte blue.

black also means higher temps....
That is actually a brilliant idea! why don't they make pcbs and paint them white, as we know white color reflects heatwaves right? and black ones absorb it... anyone know anysources about how green material behave when heat hits them?
On that subject, the green PCB that the 8800 GTS had, when i touched it it would take 15 seconds to start to burn my finger, but now that I have the 260 inside, it's almost instant, maybe about 2-5 seconds.:wtf:

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
That is actually a brilliant idea! why don't they make pcbs and paint them white, as we know white color reflects heatwaves right? and black ones absorb it... anyone know anysources about how green material behave when heat hits them?
On that subject, the green PCB that the 8800 GTS had, when i touched it it would take 15 seconds to start to burn my finger, but now that I have the 260 inside, it's almost instant, maybe about 2-5 seconds.:wtf:

They do make white PCBs (Galaxy does) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006J41W5I/?tag=tec06d-20.

There is no light to reflect in your case/not enough to make a difference. The color black absorbs LIGHT, not HEAT, big difference.

Touching two completely different cards, and then attributing the difference in their heat output to the color of the PCB is not valid.

"If objects appear white (or any other color) (reflective in the visual spectrum), they are not necessarily equally reflective (and thus non-emissive) in the thermal infrared; e.g., most household radiators are painted white despite the fact that they have to be good thermal radiators. Acrylic and urethane based white paints have 93% blackbody radiation efficiency at room temperature[6] (meaning the term "black body" does not always correspond to the visually perceived color of an object)."

They do make white PCBs (Galaxy does) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006J41W5I/?tag=tec06d-20.

There is no light to reflect in your case/not enough to make a difference. The color black absorbs LIGHT, not HEAT, big difference.

Touching two completely different cards, and then attributing the difference in their heat output to the color of the PCB is not valid.

"If objects appear white (or any other color) (reflective in the visual spectrum), they are not necessarily equally reflective (and thus non-emissive) in the thermal infrared; e.g., most household radiators are painted white despite the fact that they have to be good thermal radiators. Acrylic and urethane based white paints have 93% blackbody radiation efficiency at room temperature[6] (meaning the term "black body" does not always correspond to the visually perceived color of an object)."

thanks for the response and clarification. but how does your shirt get warm if it's dark colored on a sunny day? is it light? it absorbs the energy of the light? but there could be waves of infrared/xray/uv energy emitted from the say heatsinks or gpu/cpu?:shadedshu

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
thanks for the response and clarification. but how does your shirt get warm if it's dark colored on a sunny day? is it light? it absorbs the energy of the light? but there could be waves of infrared/xray/uv energy emitted from the say heatsinks or gpu/cpu?:shadedshu

The big chunk of the sun's energy is concentrated visible light, for which color makes a difference. There is no such concentration of visible light in your computer case. Your computer case makes it like a person with a white shirt and a person in a black shirt sitting in a dark room, or at night away from the sun... The temperature difference between their shirts is nothing.

When you start talking about infrared, X ray, and UV, or BANDS THAT YOU CANNOT SEE, then visible color doesn't matter - since all a the color of an object tells you is how it reflects VISIBLE radiation. You cannot tell how a object will react to NON-VISIBLE radiation by LOOKING AT IT.

Think UV light over a room to find bodily fluids, or UV reactive invisible ink. To your naked eye, you have no idea how much UV that room is reflecting or absorbing, until you turn on a blacklight. Same thing with the other bands... something might be black in color but reflective as fuck to everything else.

Last edited:
System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11
Hey, i was kidding before. Though, it had to do a lot only with "light"
The heat is produced from electricity. Why didnt they make the sun white! :p

The big chunk of the sun's energy is concentrated visible light, for which color makes a difference. There is no such concentration of visible light in your computer case. Your computer case makes it like a person with a white shirt and a person in a black shirt sitting in a dark room, or at night away from the sun... The temperature difference between their shirts is nothing.

When you start talking about infrared, X ray, and UV, or BANDS THAT YOU CANNOT SEE, then visible color doesn't matter - since all a the color of an object tells you is how it reflects VISIBLE radiation. You cannot tell how a object will react to NON-VISIBLE radiation by LOOKING AT IT.

Think UV light over a room to find bodily fluids, or UV reactive invisible ink. To your naked eye, you have no idea how much UV that room is reflecting or absorbing, until you turn on a blacklight. Same thing with the other bands... something might be black in color but reflective as fuck to everything else.
Thanks for, well, detailed explanation.
for the first paragraph, what if you have your case side open, or you have a light bulb or LED (yes, kinda confused) in there?
What if we calculate the radiation of an invisible band using physics? surely there's a formula for calculating or a constant for different material or colors and how they reflect or how much do they absorb invisible radiation.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Thanks for, well, detailed explanation.
for the first paragraph, what if you have your case side open, or you have a light bulb or LED (yes, kinda confused) in there?
What if we calculate the radiation of an invisible band using physics? surely there's a formula for calculating or a constant for different material or colors and how they reflect or how much do they absorb invisible radiation.

OK so... if you leave them in the sun or you put a stadium light in your case the black one will run a % hotter. LEDs and consumer lights don't produce enough light energy to matter.

There is a formula/expression that will define how a given material reacts to non-visible radiation, but it literally has nothing to do with visible color.

It's not like "Well this Radiation Suit is BLUE so therefore its way safer to take into the zone." "Here ya go, Bob" (Bob's face melts)"

At this point I am just going to assume that you are trolling your own thread. Nevertheless there are people out there who believe that black absorbs heat so im going to leave the responses up.

Last edited:
OK so... if you leave them in the sun or you put a stadium light in your case the black one will run a % hotter. LEDs and consumer lights don't produce enough light energy to matter.

There is a formula/expression that will define how a given material reacts to non-visible radiation, but it literally has nothing to do with visible color.

It's not like "Well this Radiation Suit is BLUE so therefore its way safer to take into the zone." "Here ya go, Bob" (Bob's face melts)"

At this point I am just going to assume that you are trolling your own thread. Nevertheless there are people out there who believe that black absorbs heat so im going to leave the responses up.
No I'M NOT TROLLING. I would agree that we have gone a bit off topic from my original question which if I'm honest doesn't really matter now.
and when I'm saying that different color or material I mean the object that has been subjected to invisible waves of energy. not the color or material of non-visible waves of energy.

Last edited:

CaptainFailcon

A; isi you have no clue what you are talking about hush while attempting to make you're self look smart you made you're self look like a idiot
B: the heat pipes on the cooler are probly defective sometimes they get bad welds and all the vapor leaks out making the pretty much useles
C: a 8800Gt is fking old and belongs in the garbage bin TD2 is probly maxing the poor old pos out resulting in high temps 90c was common for single slot 8800's and its not a good thing I hope it melts

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11
A; isi you have no clue what you are talking about hush while attempting to make you're self look smart you made you're self look like a idiot
B: the heat pipes on the cooler are probly defective sometimes they get bad welds and all the vapor leaks out making the pretty much useles
C: a 8800Gt is fking old and belongs in the garbage bin TD2 is probly maxing the poor old pos out resulting in high temps 90c was common for single slot 8800's and its not a good thing I hope it melts
That thanks was to you for calling me an idiot. it's nothing about wanting myself to look smart my dear, i don't care if you think i'm smart or trying to be a smart person or an idiot.
second of all, the 8800 That i had WAS a GTS, Not a GT. GTs had single slot coolers with blowers and would get warm. but GTSs had dual slot coolers with heatpipes and were supposed to be cooler.
third of all, you belong to garbage bin.
and all those things about different PCBs having different thermal characterestics, if anybody took them seriously or even half as seriously, I'm telling ya, is one apocalyptic dumbas*.

I don't remember the clocks being that high on the 8800GTS 640MB. You have it OC'ed at all?

Don't get me wrong, these guys were pretty solid overclockers. You could easily pop all clock speeds up at least 100-150MHz without any issues. I used to run two of these and they OC'ed like champs - almost to an 8800GT performance level.

If that's the case, remove the overclock and see if that helps. I could be mistaken though since it's been about 3 years since I played with one of these.

lol my 8800GT was so loud. it was literally like a blow dryer at ALL times. Lasted a good 5 years without much problems. My current radeon 6870 is a ton more quiet.

Corduroy_Jr

Processor Phenom II 965
Motherboard Biostar TA870+
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Performa
Memory Kingston hyperx 1600mhz 2x8gb
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon HD 6870 DirectCU II 990/1250 stock volts
Storage Seagate 500gb, Wd 1tb black
Display(s) SAMSUNG 2433BW 24
Case Thermaltake v3 black edition
Audio Device(s) onboard, Logitech x540
Power Supply Antec true power modular 650 watt
Software Windows 7 x64 ultimate
eh i have two 8800gt there still good good cards and can play all new games without a problem there by far not worth tossing out in the garbage. even though there collecting dust in the box

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
That thanks was to you for calling me an idiot. it's nothing about wanting myself to look smart my dear, i don't care if you think i'm smart or trying to be a smart person or an idiot.
second of all, the 8800 That i had WAS a GTS, Not a GT. GTs had single slot coolers with blowers and would get warm. but GTSs had dual slot coolers with heatpipes and were supposed to be cooler.
third of all, you belong to garbage bin.
and all those things about different PCBs having different thermal characterestics, if anybody took them seriously or even half as seriously, I'm telling ya, is one apocalyptic dumbas*.

8800GT was actually newer and cooler running than the 8800GTS, at least if you're talking about the 320/640MB versions.