1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8800GT as a Physics card?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Yin, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Yin

Yin

Thanks Received:
    Hi TPU'ers,

I vaguely remember reading somewhere on the internet that it is possible to make Nvidia cards as physics while having an ATI card as a primary video card.

What I'm thinking of doing is getting a new ATI card and using my current 8800GT as a physics card, is this possible?

Thanks all
  2. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Yes it's totally possible even with the 195.xx driver. You will need to download a crack for it though.

I use a 9600GSO for physX right along with my crossfired 4870's.
    Yin says thanks.
  3. ERazer

ERazer New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes all 8000 series, need xp/win7 os tho
    Yin says thanks.
  4. Yin

Yin

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your quick replies,

Q1. Are there any known\common issues they I should be aware of?

Q2. Does a 5870 even need a physics card?

Q3. Does a Corsair HX750w have enough juice to run both cards and my I7 system?
  5. ERazer

ERazer New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. well its was a pain to set-up for me anyways
    2. thats really up to u bud, i put physx card b/c i got spare nvidia laying around
    3. well i dont have i7 but psu can run both
  6. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    1. I haven't run across any issues at all.

2. PhysX is Nvidia proprietary so it's not that a 5870 might need a something additional to process it, it's that certain games, like Batman Arkham Asylum, will be missing certain visual features like smoke/fog, realistic cape movement, etc.

3. That PSU should be enough to run it, but I'm not sure how much juice your water cooling takes. Most likely you'll be fine.
  7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Its possible but if you have a Radeon Video card as the Display unit ur gonna need latest drivers and also the Latest Physx driver for the GF card and the hack patch for it.
  8. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Or you could just run the 185.xx nvidia driver and not have to worry about hack/patching it. ;)
  9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    eventually the driver will have to be updated to meet requirements of newer games. And there is a Hack around these forums somewhere that allows you to use NV latest and the ATI latest Drivers at same time.
  10. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    I dunno about all that. Hell for the longest time while I was still using Nvidia GPUs' I ran the 175.xx driver because it looked 1,000,000 times better. There isn't a game that I own that requires me to run a certain driver.

Although it is very possible that they'll make updates to the PhysX engine where it might require it. It seems that Nvidia is taking Aegia's PhysX to the next level.
  11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    well you even stated to just run the 185s, but in all sense newer games will require the drivers for bug fixes etc. after 185/186 NV started disabling PPU support when a ATI card is used as the Master.
  12. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    The 185's were the last driver that allowed an ATi card as the primary. I got pissed at nvidia when the 180.xx drivers came out because it screwed my video up in certain games like BF2/BF2142. There would all sorts of artifacts all over the place. Not to mention that nvidia sacrificed visual quality for frame rate.
    eidairaman1 says thanks.