1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8800GT crashes

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Zeyckler, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Zeyckler New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, first sorry for my english, but I am Spanish.
    The problem with the graphic is that, in 2D run perfectly seeing videos or the desktop but when I put a game in 3D, as Bioshock, Gears of Wars, Crysis,etc depending of the game, I can play more or less, but finally the game crash, remaining the screen of the game in the display or putting on the totally black screen. What problem might be?

Bye
  2. ccleorina

ccleorina New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can show us your system SPEC 1st????:rockout:
  3. Zeyckler New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD 64 3200+ "Venice E6" (300x8)
    DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D
    512MBx2 OCZ EL Gold Edition VX
    Point of View GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    Hitachi DeskStar 250GB SATA II
    Corsair VX550W

Bye
  4. ccleorina

ccleorina New Member

Thanks Received:
    Point of View GeForce 8800GT 512MB???:roll: What your 8800GT Subvendor u buy from? And what OS u running?:rockout: What driver version u install for your 8800GT?
  5. Zeyckler New Member

Thanks Received:
    The graphic was bought in a spanish shop called "APP Informática", the OS is XP SP2 Professional and the drivers are the 169.21. I have installed too the Vista Ultimate 64, but it dont boot, only can see the loading screen and nothing else.
  6. ccleorina

ccleorina New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ic.... Did u try to use with other graphic card?
  7. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    :wtf: Err.. haven't you heard of POV? Zeyckler, its most likely your cooling thats the issue. The 8800GT cooler is rather inefficient thanks to the low CFM fan. I'd replace the cooler with something like a VF700ALCU + The Zalman BGA heatsinks (for the MOSFETs).
  8. Zeyckler New Member

Thanks Received:
    I put the fan at 60% and was ran the 3DMark06, the 1st test run well, but in the 2nd the system crashes.
    If I put Artic Silver 5, will fix it?

Bye

Edit. Before, when I run the "stress test" of Nvidia Control Panel the system throws the next error: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Zeyckler/errorvga.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  9. tostator New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you need a fresh windows install and search for the latest drivers. If the problem persists and you are sure it isn't a temp problem (use rivatuner to check it and control the fan speed), then I think your card has a major problem. You should return it to the shop.

Saludos!!!
  10. Basard

Basard

Thanks Received:
    New thermal grease always helps. But the card you own should be new enough to where the thermal paste hasn't dried up completely, some of the more "generic" vendors use the worst thermal paste you could immagine.

Run Rivatuner's Hardware Monitor in the background, keeping track of temps at all times. That way, when you've been playing a game for about 10 minutes, you can Alt-Tab and see what the temperatures are like.

8800GTs should run as hot as 100c, without crashing (hopefully). But, it would be preferable to keep temps around 70-75, if possible with the stock cooler. Normally you have to manually turn the fan speed up in the control panel. The fan speed doesn't automatically go up on a lot of the newer cards, they are scared to let you know how loud the fan actually is I guess..... So, you end up running your card at 90c, and your fan speed is still 40%, which is bad. Turn the fan speed up to 75% once (it should be very audible at this point), and keep track of the temperatures.

Stress the card for a little while, and tell us the temps. Maybe try the new BETA driver that nvidia has out right now (it's on TPU's front page).

When you install new drivers, you uninstall the old drivers first, right?? AND, you uninstall any previous drivers from any other video cards too.

Oh, yeah, and also, I had a similar problem with my x800, on an older motherboard. I updated my motherboards BIOS, and everything was fine... try maybe updating your motherboards BIOS too. After all the 8800GT was designed for PCI-E 2.0, and that wasn't even out when you purchased your motherboard, so you may very well need a BIOS update (not that your mobo will support 2.0 with the update, but it might help.)
    Zeyckler says thanks.
  11. Zeyckler New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have tried change the BIOS of the motherboard, same result. I have tried change the drivers to the last beta, same result. I have tried to underclock the DDR to 200Mhz (before 280Mhz), same result.
    I saw that the temperatures are inside of the secure range, I test with World of Warcraft and the sensor measure of about 52-55ºC when the game froze.

Thanks
  12. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thats total bs. all current generation cards have been designed for 1.x with 2.0 support as marketing gimmick. actually there are a ton of 2.0 boards out there that dont run the new cards in 2.0 mode
  13. Basard

Basard

Thanks Received:
    How is it bs? I'm just trying to hint that he should try a BIOS update, since the card was built around new technology. Maybe the 2.0 boards that wont run in 2.0 mode just need BIOS updates then? Or the cards themselves need a new BIOS? Unless the boards you speak of are just "2.0 compatible"...

The temps don't seem bad at all, are you measuring all through gameplay? Or just once at the end when (or after) it crashes? It happens with ALL 3d? XP or Vista? How many video cards have been in and out of your system, and how well do you get rid of old drivers and stuff? Maybe you just need to "clean" your hard drive out real good or something, or reformat like said above.:confused:
  14. Zeyckler New Member

Thanks Received:
    In my desperate attempt of looking for possible failures, I was ran the memtest86 of the my motherboard BIOS and I have a some errors: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Zeyckler/memtest.jpg
    This errors are "important" or errors that dont have importance?

The temps are measuring through all the gameplay, and crashes randomly. It always happens with 3D, seeing videos or simply seeing the desktop never have a crash.
    Before, I have an Ati video card, an X850XTPE, but before I put the 8800GT I unistalled and cleaned (with Driver Cleaner and a reg cleaner) the drivers of the ATI. All of that I say happens in XP.

Edit. I tried to run Crysis with only stick of ram,first one and before the other, and both crash before or after but crashed
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  15. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    All memory errors are "Important"......all your Data travels through your memory....so bad memory equates to bad overall system performance.....stop looking at the Vid card and replace your Ram....I think you'll see your crashes are a thing of the past.....and you should do a fresh Install after replacing the memory.....no telling what corruption has occurred.

Hope It helps. :)
  16. xt198 New Member

Thanks Received:
    take your 8800gt fan with RivaTuner to 80% and it will be no problem, if yes, dont overclock your card, if you didnt, take it back to the shop
  17. Basard

Basard

Thanks Received:
    Maybe run Memtest on one stick of RAM at a time.... then you don't HAVE to replace both sticks if you don't want to.... Maybe your overclock isn't stable?
  18. tostator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seeing your memtest capture, your memory timmings seems a little bit aggressive. I don't know if that memory is able to run as such timmings. Try to modify in bios to 3-3-3-6 and pass memtest again... If you obtain no errors, then check a game...

Download an run CPU-Z from TPU and look in the memory tab the timmings that your memory supports....

Good luck

Si necesitas que te aclare algo, envíame un mail. <---- If you need further explanation, send me an email.
  19. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Even though that is in Spanish, the given driver (nv4_disp) is an nVIDIA driver issue.

I agree with the fresh install of Windows. Backup all important data and wipe the drive clean. Make sure you install ALL current drivers for everything.
  20. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd go for 0.1v more for memory and run test 8 in memtest some passes (I found it the fastest way to spot too aggressive timings or too low memory voltage). You should not get any memory errors in memtest. If you get those it means that ANY program can crash and those error messages don't have anything to do with that hardware or driver.

If a bit more voltage doesn't help, try more relaxed timings (2.5-3-3-8 BH5 sticks won't boot with cas3). Also see if you have 1T or 2T timing set for memory. If 1T drop to 2T and see if it fixes errors.

Once you get memtest to pass without errors and still get crashes, you can rule out the memory at least.
  21. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    First off, if one stick of RAM has problems, I would immediately replace the RAM, why? Isn't it bloody obvious that your RAM is the problem? Replace the RAM already. How warm the card gets doesnt seem to be one ounce relevent to the reason why your system is crashing.

But, one thing though crashing while watching video... I'd expect the IO of the video would use the RAM in a way.

A whole system wipe? Whats with you guys... Uninstall driver, reboot, install new driverr, reboot done...? I wonder what you guys do to end up with corrupted drivers :wtf: Anyway, reinstalling windows is irrelevant to the fact that his RAM is faulty.

In all, half of you don't seem to know that RAM faliure is important... and are just thinking about the drivers.

Same story... RAM issues during load, even mem test spurted out errors.

Zeckyler, please listen, replace the RAM if one stick is dying it causes shitloads of problems? (and please the next guy, dont post something thats along the lines of "fan speed or drivers") If you want to test cooling capacity, I would have set it at 100% on the first go.
  22. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    If it wasnt due to the RAM then I was saying to do a reinstall of the OS.

When it comes to a corrupted anything, I format. I dont bother doing a repair or anything like that. However, the one time I did have a bad video driver, i did uninstall it and reinstall the driver and all was fine. But when it comes to system files, I just format.
  23. Zeyckler New Member

Thanks Received:
    News, I have tried rising the voltage of the RAM from 3.1v to 3.2v, and I have had fewer errors, but the problem persist.
    I have probed to put the settings of the BIOS to the default values and the games continue failing.
    Finally I have format the hard disk, and with the XP newly installed, the games on having put them, to a little time the screen freezes.
    My brother was bought a new PC, and I a few days I will be able to try his RAM of the old PC.

Bye
  24. Zeyckler New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, in other attempt to search the possible error I have tried another ram and similar result, the game crashes (Crysis in this case). I do not know that it can be, already I have tried everything...
  25. syncrod

Thanks Received:
    raise the ram timings to 2-3-2-5 or 2-3-3-6
    i had similar 2-2-2-5 errors on ram that was tested at 2-2-2-5.
    my problem was my dimm voltage only reached to 2.8v max