1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8800GT stock cooler fan not working

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Paulieg, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I got home last night and decided I was going to try to OC my BFG 8800GT a bit more. So, I opened up ATI tool, to find that my card was idling at 93c..:eek: I thought this had to be a mistake, so I opened Rivatuner to find the same thing. I went into the Rivatuner fan control and increased the fan speed to 60%. I knew there was a problem when I didn't hear the fan ramp up at all. So, I got a flashlight out and opened the case to find the fan was NOT spinning at all. Great, I've got a dead fan, making the card currently useless. :banghead: Here's the questions: If the cards spent a few days idling at this toasty temp, do you think it would have any permanent damage (didn't notice any before I uninstalled it)? Should I RMA it, or should I just buy aftermarket cooling (assuming it is still working properly)? My concern about RMA is that it's through Best Buy. If I return it to them by mail, it may be three weeks before I see a new one. If I take it to my local Best Buy, they will NOT replace it. They instead will give credit for the purchase price. Problem with this is that I got the card on sale in december for $237, and now it's $279. What should I do guys??
  2. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    i would RMA it , but if you don't want the trouble just by a cooler for it, you will soon see if the card has damage, you mite be lucky the the G92 can take same heat, usualy when they over heat your system will freeze or BSOD and restart, my 8800 Ultra uses to run at 80c on a hot day
  3. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    the stock coolers suck, I'd just get an aftermarket cooler instead, unless you think you've done damage to the card from the lack of proper cooling