1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8800GTX upgrade to a ATI HD 4870 512Mb?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Shadow_ID, Dec 8, 2008.

1. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    +1

some fans seem to think its the be all end all of cards at the moment.

i get that you guys like it, but it doesnt need to be suggested to everyone looking for a card.

ESPECIALLY upgrading from an 8800GTX, thats a lateral move..... come on!
    flyin15sec says thanks.
  2. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    I don't know, the G80 isn't known for it's ability to run very well in SLi (hence the reason we don't see any 8800GX2 cards) I think the real power of the RV770 is in xfire, in fact I'm willing to bet that two RV770s working together would eat a G80 (I'd like to see some bences of it in fact.)

As for the OP, I would stick with your NV card for now or get either a 4850X2 (or two 4850s) or a GTX260 216.
  3. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    A GTX260 is no different than a HD4870. Not a worthy upgrade over a 8800 GTX OC, not when you can wait a little bit more, till the day we can see, at least, how Nvidia is really responding to RV770.

A 4850x2 or a GTX280 too are an upgrade, but much more expensive and still waiting is the better option.
  4. Shadow_ID New Member

Thanks Received:
    well iv been thinking about it, and what do people think about me getting a new motherboard and another 8800GTX to go sli with?
  5. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you really need more performance so desperately that you have to upgrade now? That you can't wait some weeks? Is there something we don't know, like that you have a bigger screen than the one in your specs or something?? My 8800 GT can run everything maxed out except Crysis at 1600x1200, which is a bigger resolution than yours. The GTX is faster too, so you should not have any issues with any games right now, except Crysis very high as I said. And if Crysis is what you so desperately need to improve then SLI isn't so good neither. In that situation if you had to buy something, yeah, your best option is to sell your card and buy an overclocked GTX260 216SP, which I suppose it would cost you as much as a new mobo+8800GTX.

My recomendation is still WAIT.
  6. Shadow_ID New Member

Thanks Received:
    There isnt anything im not tell you all, its just its going to cost me £250 to get a 4870 and so i though a new nfoce 780i and a 8800GTX costing me £180 would be better because i would get more performance out of that
  7. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm just trying to help you and I think that waiting is the best you can do. A 780i + 8800 GTX will surely improve performance, but I'm just asking if you really need it, and specially if you really need it NOW. The new Nvidia GTX 2xx cards will come later this year (that's 2 weeks!!) or in January and if nothing else they should make existing cards cheaper in the worst case scenario. The best case would be that those cards are faster and cheaper, better performance/price ratio in any case. The thing is that we don't really know about them, Nvidia is being more secretive this time around, but I think they're are worth a wait.

New super-RV770 cards will follow them soon too, but their future, their nature, and performance is even more uncertain.

EDIT: It would help us help you a lot if you tell us why do you want more performance, with specific examples. We want to really help you, so if you really need or want more performance, we are no one to tell you to not upgrade. Also depending on where do yu need more power, a different upgrade path will be the best choice. That's why I'm asking.
  8. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Why would you call me out on my suggested upgrade and then turn around and suggest the same thing two posts later :wtf:
  9. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    None of them are a worthy upgrade IMO, but if he DID have to take one, following the logic explained in the last post you quoted the GTX260 would be better. Just that. IMO the only reason to upgrade a 8800 GTX on a 20" screen right now is for playing Crysis. There you would notice the difference and the GTX260 is much better than the HD4870, but not overally to which I was talking the first time.
  10. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually from my understanding Nvidia GPUs are better at curing cancer - better for use with the GPU folding@home client anyway :roll:

I would agree with the others on here - it's not much of an upgrade, stick with your 8800 unless you are just getting bored and fancy a change. If you do upgrade then a 1GB card is essential now IMO.
    Jeffredo says thanks.
  11. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    i would not buy a 512 card at this stage.

the 896 on a GTX260 is acceptable, but really we want MOAR :rolleyes:
  12. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    I keep forgetting about that - I need to download the software and get going on the TPU team.