1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8Gb Not running at 1066 ?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by trickson, Jan 6, 2012.

1. KapiteinKoek007

Thanks Received:
    there are several possible solutions for this. first of what mobo are you using ?
    it's possible your mobo only supports ddr2 800 speeds check on the mobo's vendor site.
    you can try to manual set the timmings according to the sticker on the ram
    don't touch the ram voltage because it should be able to run @ default voltage.
    if that does not work you can try to install just 1 or 2 sticks... just remember to always put the sticks in dual channel configuration, if using more then 1 mem stick
    if all that still does not work you can try a bios update, sometimes it's required for running more then 2 mem sticks
    trickson says thanks.
  2. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Hey trickson how's it going? Been digging through the forum's and came across this thread here! I am running a similar setup to your's (sys spec's @ left) and have 8Gb of RAM (4 x 2Gb) running @ 1066, i'll post my current setting's, still testing but these are Prime Small/Large/Blend stable for 4Hrs ++ each and SuperPi tested up to 8m so far. I just started with this setup over the weekend so hoping i can get more out of it :eek: What setting's are you running?

CPU RATIO: 8.5
    FSB FREQ: 400
    PCIE FREQ: 100
    FSB STRAP TO N/B: AUTO
    DRAM FREQ: 1066
    DRAM CLK SKEW: ALL AUTO
    DRAM TIMING CONTROL: 5 5 5 15
    DRAM STATIC READ CONTROL: DISABLED
    DRAM READ TRAINING: DISABLED
    MEM OC CHARGER: LIGHT
    AI CLOCK TWISTER: AUTO
    AI TRANSACTION BOOSTER: AUTO

CPU VCORE: 1.264v Prime LOADED 1.265v BIOS
    CPU GTL VOLTAGE REF (0/2): 0.630
    CPU GTL REF (1/3): 0.630
    CPU PLL VOLTAGE: 1.52v
    FSB TERMINATION VOLTAGE: 1.26v
    DRAM VOLTAGE: 2.2v
    NB VOLTAGE: 1.26v
    NB GTL REF: 0.630
    SB VOLTAGE: 1.10v
    PCIE SATA VOLTAGE: 1.50v

LOAD LINE CALIBRATION: ENABLED
    CPU SPREAD SPECTRUM: DISABLED
    PCIE SPREAD SPECTRUM: DISABLED
    CPU CLOCK SKEW: AUTO
    NB CLOCK SKEW: AUTO
    CPU MARGIN ENHANCEMENT: OPTIMIZED

Cheers!
  3. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Well just about the same really.
    FSB 445 My ram is at 891 and NB is 1.4V
    Auto for the CPU voltage stuff.
  4. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    What strap are you running? I read that these q9xxx & p45 like the AUTO strap the best and that leaving volt's/GTL's on AUTO can hinder OC and cause to use more vcore, especially when going over 400Fsb :confused: Have you tried setting any volt's/GTL's instead of leaving them on AUTO? Which BIOS are you running?

I think i can push to 445FSB and keep the RAM @ 1066 (would give me 3.78Ghz effective) that is my "project" for this weekend :eek: I'm on my backup rig ATM cuz i'm trying to do some house work as well as surf :roll:

I'm going to get back to testing later today :)

Can you post your setting's as i did mine for comparisson?
  5. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Strap is auto, No need to touch the CPU voltages at all. The latest bios is installed.
  6. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Did i say/do something to offend you? :confused: I'm just trying to help you out and possibly get some help for myself too seeing as we have similar rig's :eek:

I think it would help both of us, and maybe some other's in the future too, if you would/could post up what actual setting's you're using :pimp:

Your board is capable of running the RAM @ 1066, took this straight from Asus' website: 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR2 1300/1200/1066/800/667 Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory Dual Channel memory architecture. This is your MOBO right? http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5Q_PRO_Turbo/#specifications

So there is something with your setting's that's keeping you from achieving that speed, or getting close to it anyways. I'm running 8Gb @ 1066Mhz OK right now @ 400FsB and pretty sure i can get the FsB higher while maintaining 1066Mhz RAM speed, gonna push for more over the weekend :twitch:

Cheers! :rockout:
  7. trickson

Thanks Received:
    No you did not offend me at all. Why would you think that?
    I have tried every thing to get the RAM to run at 1066 with all 4 DIMM slots taken it is just not possible. The NB is maxed out. I have tried to set all the CPU voltages like you have them before ( a long time ago) Nothing changed in my OC no mater what I did so leaving it alone is best for me. I am at what others here say is the max for the NB on voltage 1.4V.
    I would love to have the OC I have now and run the RAM at 1066 but it just is not going to happen. At 2.2V on the RAM I do not want to take it up any higher.
    I hear what you are saying and have tried it just to find out it would not work. Sadly if I want to run 1066 on this RAM I have to have only 2 DIMM slots filled that would give me only 4GB of RAM and that is not enough to play BF3 maxed out.
  8. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: That's just trickson; he's quick and straight to the point.
    trickson says thanks.
  9. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Took it to 6Mb of RAM and now it runs just fine at 1066. Strange that it just will not do this with 8Mb of RAM! Oh well works fine and that is what counts.
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    with 6GB, you're now in single channel (yes, it has some hybrid mode - but basically your first 4GB is faster than your last 2GB, when you run like that.)
    trickson says thanks.
  11. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    have you forced T2 timings? or is it auto?
  12. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Only has 2T.

Yeah it may only be running in single channel mode but it is much faster now, Than with dual channel 8GB, The entire system is much faster and snappier, I can put the stick back and when I do the system seems to slow down to a crawl! One would think it would be faster and much better with 8GB and all 4 DIMM slots taken but not in this case!
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    lots of possible reasons for the slowdowns. system will automatically slow a lot of timings down, and possibly clock speeds so yeah - you lose dual channel (for 1/3 of your ram) but the first 2/3 goes faster.
    Super XP and trickson say thanks.
  14. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I just hate not being able to run at 1066 with all 4 DIMM slots, But I hear what you are saying so I installed the last stick of RAM in again, It does seem a bit slower but at least I have 8Gb of RAM!
  15. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    It's cool, i get it. You're happy where it's at and don't want/need any help or to share your setting's. Long as it is stable and you are content that is all that matter's :cool:

I'm currently testing 450Fsb x 8.5 w 1.275v for 3.83Ghz effective speed and the RAM is running all 8Gb @ 1080Mhz 5:6 asynchronous, everything else is same as before. I think i can get a bit more out of it, need to play around with it some more. Only running 1.3v to the NB :eek:

Cheers!

:toast:
  16. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Earlier versions of both AMD and Intel CPU's only support 1066 with 2 banks only. If you use all four Dimm, it will default to 800.
  17. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Alright as I recently acquired an additional 2x2gbs of 1066 ram, here are the outliers that worked for me:

Northbridge to AUTO. manually adjusting this caused me to have to manually clear cmos a few times.
    PCI-E speed to 100. Normally I run this at 105, but that caused me to crash with 4x2gb

FSB is sitting at 440 atm, will try to push it later if I feel up to it.
  18. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Just an update.
    Today I was messing around with my RAM and OC. I came out with this.
    I set the RAM voltage to 2.4v (2.2and 2.3 are "Normal" operating voltages.),Set the RAM to run at 1066 and wallah! It works now! Why is it working now is what I want to know. I know I never took the RAM to 2.4 Volts till now so that must have been why.
  19. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Glad you got it working
    trickson says thanks.
  20. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to dig around a bit more, I used to run a Q9450 on a P5Q Deluxe.... only ever used 2 sticks of ram in it though. I'm a bit worried about your 2.4v to the ram. Have you touched them while running to see if they are hot? I think I may have gone up to 1.45v on the NB, but make sure it has good cooling.
    trickson says thanks.
  21. trickson

Thanks Received:
    The NB is good at 1.4v never see any difference from that an s 1.45 or 1.5v.
    This is one reason why I never tried it till now see 2.4volts seems really high (even to me) but for what I understand is they can take up to 2.5volts as long as they do not heat up so much they fry. These RAM chips have some killer HS on them. and I am not sure but a .1 volt bump on some thing that runs at stock Timing Reference: 5-5-5-18 at +1.8V / 5-5-5-15 at +2.2V - 2.3V.
    So far this is going good. Fast too. a lot faster than having to run 800MHz.
  22. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, okay, just watch them then. Remember, these chips were designed from specs that start at 1.8v I believe. Higher than 800mhz chips were basically binned, and of course tested at the higher volts. But they are already at the limits at the stock specs, and will have a limited lifetime. Just watch them, are if they are doing okay, fantastic!
    Edit: wish I had the chance to try 8gbs ram on mine.... sold it to a friend.
    trickson says thanks.