1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8gb only allows 4gb usable 4gb only allows 2gb usable

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by overclocking101, Dec 10, 2011.

1. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    so I know there are tons of threads like this but i have searched and none of the current threads have helped.

I had a 2X2GB ddr3 kit installed and it only allowed 2gb to be used, so I upgraded to a 4X2GB kit and now it only allows 4gb to be used. in bios it only shows 4gb installed, but in windows it shows 8gb installed 4 usable, cpu-z says 8gb dual channel. I have memory remap enabled, also tried disabling it and nothing. I have tried all sticks indepepndant and they work fine. I have tried reseating the cpu numerous times. I had thought it was my windows install so I did a fresh install yesterday, same issue. I have tried a different cpu thinking it was my memory controller, same problem. system is in specs, and yes it is a 64bit windows 7 ultimate install

2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a BIOS problem. Do you have the most current for your mobo, or have you tried re-flashing it?

overclocking101 says thanks.
  3. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    +1 for BIOS issue. Download and flash the latest, than load CMOS defaults. Must work!

overclocking101 says thanks.
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Can be caused my pushing the memory controller too far(usually the OS will show al lram ,but only 1/2 available), memory not seated correctly(common on ASUS boards that do nto have clips at both ends of teh DIMM), or CPU not seated correctly.

Can also be caused by mounting cooler too tight and flexing the board, or even just board flex from the socket.

digibucc, overclocking101 and AthlonX2 say thanks.
  5. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    I did recently flash to the latest bios, ill try flashing back, because for a while this issue was not present. I have reseated the cpu and memory tons in the past day still the same affect. my board has never had the socket tightening issue before, I use a venomousx with the preassure screw taken out so it uses minimal preassure. it is a board with the newer dimm slots, ill keep playeng with the memory slots as well as trying a older bios

6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have fun troubleshooting, OC101!
    Please let us know what resolves your problem in case someone else runs across it. :toast:

7. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried removing one stick to see if you have some bad slots?

10 Million points folded for TPU
  8. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    yes. with lynnfeild you have to have one stick in slot 4 at all times but I checked all slots one by one otherwise and all sticks as well. all work fine

9. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    so still nothing tomorrow im going to pull the board and try it out of the case, if that dont work im rmaing the cpu because if it isnt the board its gotta be a shit controller

10. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    so I took the board out and with the board out of the case everything check out perfect but somehow my mobo tray is casusing the board to flex just enough to cause the socket issue. what a PITA well now I got a good excuse to tell the wife when i buy a new case!

11. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, at least you figured it out, and you get to buy a new case too.