1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8gb ram on vista, turn off PF?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by warup89, Apr 7, 2008.

1. warup89

warup89

Thanks Received:
    well i have 8gb of ram and like the most i used was like 40% of it during crysis, so i dont know if it would be a good idea to turn off Page file [i think thats what is called] off.

2. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes its page file but its recommended to leave it alone i think it helps the OS

3. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    There is no advantage to turning it off, so unless you are really short on space I would leave it on. Some tests were run a while ago, I think on these forums even, showing that with a large amount of RAM disabling the page file still resulted in reduced performance, although that was with 4GB not 8GB.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  4. warup89

warup89

Thanks Received:
    nice to know :eek:

5. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    crysis dosnt use much ram relatively speaking.. it wouldnt run properly on 2 gig systems if it did.. but there is no gain except in hardrive space in turning the pagefile off.. windows dosnt use it until it has to.. with 8 gigs it aint likely to have to..

why people continue to think widows uses its very slow hardrive memory when it has plenty of the real stuff to work with i am buggered if i know.. luckily it aint that stupid..

trog

6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i shut mine off i have 4gigs.

[​IMG]

i tweaked vista to have minimal amounts of ram usuage..page file is off thats a fresh restart with everything laoded i normally use you can see i extended the task bar at the bottom to show you. if you look at my ram usage im idling at ~980mb with all that loaded and this was taken a good 5min after i logged in cause i had to take a crap...so theirs no jip .

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  7. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see you have Far Cry on your desktop. I had heard Far Cry won't work on a x64 os. Is that a mod you did, or did I hear wrong?

8. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    boots right up for me patch 1.4(still old)...dont even need to run it in compatibility..