1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9.7 (8.630) Vista/Win7 WHQL

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by rflair, Jul 8, 2009.

1. rflair New Member

Thanks Received:
    In Vista scaling definitely works. You guys that are missing scaling, I presume this is on Win7, is it grayed out or not there all together?

I'm wondering if this is WDDM 1.1 thing.

Edit: Just saw Mussels pics, its grayed out, I assume that is on Win7.

The new GUI doesn't bother me one way or the other, it has more of Win7 look to it, and once you know where things are its OK.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  2. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    *twitch*

...bad move ati :shadedshu
  3. dieselcat18

dieselcat18

Thanks Received:
    Can't you install just the new 9.7 drivers by themselves, with out the new catalyst control center and just continue to use the older previous version of it ? ...Or is that not possible now ?

*+
  4. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm on Vista 64 and nowhere can I find the option to enable GPU scaling, its not just on W7

Correction!!!: Found it, but wow is it buried! Click Desktops and displays, select display, click on arrow, select configure, select scaling!!!!! Jesus, what were they thinking of. Please let this not be final....
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its greyed out on 7, but its not like it doesnt work. it worked in ~cat 9.3/9.4, that era.
  6. lck516 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still disappoint !

Using ATI HD4770 and vista x64
    Catalyst 9.4 / 9.5 / 9.6 / 9.7 same bug !

Under hardware acceleration,Vector Adaptive break down when aero mode enable in Vista.(1080I H.264 Files)
    Besides, Color vibrance and edge-enhancement also break down under Aero.

Here is the 1080I H.264 Video
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VY77YIPZ

Pay attention on upper right head corner !
    The logo of the upper right head corner is shake because break down of Vector Adaptive, color vibrance and edge-enhancement also can't use under Aero.
    Problem fixed when use vista basic mode, but why forbid me to use aero ?

The similar situation has not appeared on Nvidia.

Catalyst 9.2 seem can solve the problem but HD4770 can't use 9.2 .
    Reported to AMD, but no positive response.:banghead::banghead::banghead:
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    lck516: i'll test that here.

That video played back flawlessly here. You sure you arent having a codec problem?
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  8. lck516 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Quote AMD forum administrator:
    As far as I am aware a future driver will take care of this issue, not allowed to say which one though.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=111597

Nearly confirm that this is the driver bug.
    Catalyst 9.6 seem fix some model (HD4850,HD4870) but not overall,
    color vibrance and edge-enhancement still break down under Aero.

I want to ask AMD, what is the future means ?
    one month ? half year or over one year ?
    9.3 / 9.4 / 9.5 /9.6 /9.7 etc.
    maybe 10.6 can fix this issues:):):)
    AMD:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    AMD's tech support is terrible, i went there and asked about scaling and why it was disabeld and the reply was "oh that setting wont show up if you're on native resolution"

brilliant answer... if that was true, you cant turn it on for games etc, without having your desktop res not at native. smart.

(its false actually, the setting does not work on DVI connections with ATI branded HDMI adaptors - changing res does nothing to enable the setting)
  10. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    These run very smooth on 7x64 RTM(or 7600 if it's not RTM). I actually like the new UI in some ways. The menu at the top could be spread out to where all the menus are selectable without the drop down box. I like everything else tho :)
  11. newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I've tried the majority of driver versions in the 9s range, and none have given me any particular problems.

The one game I do play particularly on the ATi GPU rig, is Age of Conan, yet I'm still using 8.11 Hotfix 2 (farcry fix). I have no massive visual anomalies or odd behavior.
    However the big bit is the performance. Whether it's XP, Vista or 7, anything after that version, they cut the framerates in half on average.

Now, this is defiantely odd, as most drivers give a margin of negative / positive of about 3%, with some real world applications benefitting up to maybe 15%. But I'm seeing 40-60%.
    So either something about AoC is conflicting with later versions, or ATi has changed something that's inadvertantley damaged the games' performance.

I've tried to get through to both Funcom and ATi about this, and have never heard back.

This is also a shame because the 4870 x2, and a set of 4870 in crossfire, seem to bulldoze everything else out there, especially at 1920 and even more so at 2560 resolution. The only other competitors are a pair of SLI or tri-SLI 280s(not 285 or 295 oddly enough). And even then the ATi cards are much more smooth as well.

Something about the 4xxx series and AoC fit like a couple spooning in bed together, but then everytime the ATi cards get too excited, get too powerful, and pops a woodie, it all comes crashing down(figuratively speaking, fortunately no crashing).

Because there's no big problems with the drivers and stability, I can continue using them, but I'd like to get up to speed someday with the latest versions.
  12. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    New layout blows.

Please ATI get in contact with the very people who keep you alive before it is too late.
  13. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    Man, I thought it was my computer failing me. I glad to see I'm not the only who had problems. I'm going back to 9.5 and will wait for what you guys say about 9.7.

Now that I think about it, all the sudden I starting having problems with my controller when I install 9.6 and thought my gear went bad. Needless to say, I took it apart and destroyed it. All the memories!:(
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  14. rake

Thanks Received:
    Huge performance drop:

Switching from 9.6 to 9.7 on Windows 7 x64 RC cost me 50FPS and 3000 points in FurMark. I'm hoping to have a copy of the Windows 7 x64 RTM by Monday and will see if that helps me get back some of the lost performance.

edit: FurMark Performance under W7 x64 RTM was the same as with the RC. Noticeable improvement in video encoding performance though. (and better rating in Windows Experience Index)
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  15. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    i'm running vista 64bit

these drivers seem to be running fine. been using them for about 12 hours, and have had 0 driver recoveries. the old 9.6 drivers would recover 3 or 4 times a day. my gpu's stay fully loaded 24/7 so its nice to see it working properly again.

i've never really noticed much performance gains over any previous drivers. only things i play are silkroad online, and been playing a fair bit of COD5.0
  16. roadie New Member

Thanks Received:
    These seem like brilliant drivers for my PC. Fallout 3 even runs acceptably at Ultra High settings with 4xAA and 15xAF at 1680x1050 on my 3870!