1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9600GT: Raise the PCI-E bus? or the core, or both.

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by naokiakira, Apr 5, 2008.

1. naokiakira New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, just had a question and hoped some of you guys could give some advice or thoughts about it. I've been tweeking with my 9600GT, OCing and such, as well as my cpu and PCI-e bus. Now as im sure most of you know, Nvidia has that link trick thingie that links the Pci-e bus to the core clock of the GPU, thus raising the pci-e bus by 10% will increase the core of the card by 10%. With that said, I've read and seen people -not- touching their pci-e bus because of that and just OC the card it's self. Currently I have the pci-e bus running higher than stock, as well as the core of my card. Would I see better results if I left the core of the card untouched and tweaked the pci-e bus or vise versa, left the Bus untouched and just OC'd the card. Or should I find a reasonable medium with both. Temps seem to be fine OC'd with load at around 67 degrees, idling around 46-50. Thanks :)

Edit: I realized after I posted this could probably go in the Overclock forums, Mods if you see fit, feel free to move it :)
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I just got my 9600GT and I'm considering messing with it. I currently have mine OC'd to 760core/1900shader, and memory at stock 1000 (Palit Sonic 9600GT, it's somewhat pre-oc'd, 700 core, 1750 shader, 1000 (2000 effective) memory). I've been using Rivatuner 2.08 for now, I am also going to try Palit's provided OC program also.

I'd say you should run some game benchmarks and even some synthetic benchmarks and see what your findings are! I'm definately interested myself, I suppose OC-ing the PCI-e bus could also give the card some more "theoretical" bandwidth...and maybe give an extra couple of FPS at the same OC in comparison to 100 locked PCI-e and OC'd via program.

:toast:
  3. naokiakira New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool :), let's see if we get an answer :)
  4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i wonder...maybe ill try but you see upping the pci-e freq OC's it...so if your already maxing it via RT you may end up with an unstable card.
  5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    leave the PCI-E bus locked at no more than 110. Mine is 101.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, it's just fine here! :)
  7. naokiakira New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could you elaborate?

Yeah, you don't -actually- see the difference, as in, visable higher core clocks. but W1zz was able to prove that upping the PCI-E bus increased the performance of the card.