1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9600GT SLI vs 9600GSO SLI

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by OzzmanFloyd120, Aug 3, 2008.

1. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    I have a statement and question that I've been thinking about for quite a while.
    I currently have my old motherboard and CPU in thier respective boxes in my closet. I was thinking of putting them back into action in another rig for myself. I was thinking of getting one or two cheap 9600GSOs and running them in SLI on the board, but after seeing what DOM's been doing with his GSO I'm thinking it might be a better idea to use my GTs in that PC and using the GSOs in this one.
    I know that at stock the 9600GT edges out the 9600GSO, but the GSO has more pipelines. Does having more pipelines mean that I would have more of a gain off a 10% Overclock on the GSO vs the GT?

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It depends on what you are overclocking 10%. If you overclock the shaders 10%, then yes, the GSO will gaim more. If you are overclocking the memory, then the GT would gain more.

Personally, I don't think it matters which ones you go with, both are about equal overall. I would look at what games you play the most and which cards work best in those games.

OzzmanFloyd120 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    The memory thing makes sense, I was talking to wolf on MSN and he said he 9600GT gets better FPS in the nVidia Human Head demo than his 9800GTX because the 512 ram is bottlenecking the GTX.