1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9600xt and the ASRock dual sata2

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by petercintn, Jan 28, 2006.

1. petercintn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Can anyone tell me if the 9600xt is supported by the Rock MB. This card is kinda finicky so I'm wondering.

2. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if the mobo you're reffering to is a PCI-E "only" mobo. then no, it isn't.

i do know that some asrock (at least i think it was asrock.. dont remember which company does that all-in-one board that has everything...) boards have both PCI-E and AGP... if that's the case, then yeah. you can run a 9600XT on that board.

3. petercintn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanx spectre,

yes the dual sata 2 from ASRock is the (full) AGP and PCIe solution. And the one I'm thinking about. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I have had problems, (solved) with the 9600xt and newer 3D games, so I was hoping to hear from someone who had the setup already and I found the Dual Sata2 FAQ and that's where I should have posted.

But thanx again spectre, the help was very welcome.

4. Quake2owns

Quake2owns New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think your're problem is asrock well and the 9600xt get a better card,

5. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    that's probably because the old 9600's just dont cut it any more. you should definantly consider getting a newer graphics card.
    but going for the asrock that has AGP and PCI-E is definantly a good idea if you want to postpone getting a newer card for later, for whatever reason (finanical i assume?).
    you could get that board and run the 9600xt you have for the time being and then when you feel you're ready for an upgrade you could get a nice 6800GS or one of the x800 series cards in PCI-E. (feel free to ask here if you want any recommendations.)
    now, while asrock boards are by no means good overclocking boards, but they usually do what they're meant to do. as long as you're not planning on any serious overclocking the asrock should do you fine. and its a very good choice if you want to be able to run the 9600 you have until you get something better and more powerful for the ever more demandful modern games...

6. petercintn New Member

Thanks Received:
    I believe your right spectre. I've been bouncing around either a new AGP card and stick with this old week 51 Barton that i can't overclock I'm running now:( , or get this Dual Sata 2 motherboard and a XP64 3700, I have just enough to get that combo and some new cables and a nice heat sink. And one more case fan.

I think that will work for the next 6 months to year I may have to wait for a new PCIe card but I don't believe that processor will be a dinosaur in just a year.

Again thanks, spectre, it's good to get a helpful opinion before making this purchase, as the saying goes, I'm a poor, poor man.

7. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if u are pissed off with what u have and cant aford a new card as well your choice aint a bad one.. assuming the board lets u clock the 3700 properly u will have one of the fastest single core amd chips ever made.. a piece of amd history.. he he he

if the board dosnt let u work that san diego core properly its a shame..

trog

8. petercintn New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's true trog, and it's cheaper by 50 bucks than what the XP 3000+ cost me back in may 04. What a deal, man.