1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9800 gx2 only uses one of its cards...

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by lurikeen, Jul 2, 2009.

1. lurikeen New Member

Thanks Received:
    yesterday i had an electrical problem in my computer (hard drive fire) and the usual stuff happened, ie cpu clock speed set to 1.6 ghz and whatnot. but my graphics card also took a hit.

under vista, it works perfectly, but under xp 64 bit it will only use one card, not matter what i set it to. i know this is the problem because i get virtually identical 3dmark 06 scores in xp as i do in vista with only one card enabled, and the same scores in xp with one card as with 2.

i tried reinstalling the drivers and messing with the control panel, but none of that worked. MSI is a terrible company (already sent in the card a few times for overheating, with no replacement), so i cant send it back to anyone.

ideas?

2. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    it's not overheating because it's MSI, it's overheating because the dual-PCB design is crappy. Mine gets really hot too, just blow the card out every month or so.
    As for the 06 score, that's not really a fair comparison because 06 mainly stresses CPU and bases your score off of that.
    Download GPU-Z from the downloads section and open it, it should tell you if the SLi is working or not.

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Clean drivers with Driver Sweeper, then re-install. I had similar problems with SLi from time to time, the drivers don't get installed for the second card, so SLi wouldn't properly enable.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:

That statement right there sums it up to be an OS issues or driver Issue....my moneys on it being the video driver.

Hope it helps. :rockout:

5. lurikeen New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only thing I do is the graphics tests, not the whole thing. So it is a good comparison. It is no coincidence that I get the exact same score (basically) with one card in vista as "two" in xp.

Tried this for the display drivers and it did not work, but it seems to be exactly what I need to do. Do I need to do chipset as well? Or any other ideas on how I might access a lower level (if one exists)? Any advice is welcome...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  6. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    No, don't do the chipset drivers. Just the display.

7. lurikeen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Edited my post. By it did work, I meant it did not work. Any other suggestions?

8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    You might have to clean the PhysX stuff also, there should be an option for it.

9. lurikeen New Member

Thanks Received:
    This didn't work either... any other ideas of where to look or what to look into possibly? This is quite strange...

10. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Humor me and post a gpu-z screenie?
    Did you go into the NVCP and manually turn off sli and then back on? It's worked for me before.