1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9800 PRO MOLEX Possible short circuit - anyone help??

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by philibad, Aug 25, 2005.

1. philibad New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi guys

i have a problem with a 9800pro graphics card i did flash it to an xt about 3 months ago, yesterday i was playing battlefield 2 medium settings i have 1gb 400mhz ram and 3200xp AMD, anyway, gamplay stopped and the computer reset, on next boot i get on the screen that the 9800pro's power is not connected ! , but its i was , i reset a few times... still didnt work. took the card out i notice a "burn mark" and was slightly melted on the molex socket, i tried to remove the cable it wouldnt budge!, in the end, i had to break it off! which i didnt like doing. i cleared socket up a bit removed some of the soot on the PIN, i replace and different molex cable , turn the pc on system boots , 1 hour later smae thing happenes only this time its not working ??? any guess's :)

i was thinking about taking the socket off and soldering a molex socket from a fan on to the main board.

o yeah warrenty is voided on account of the flashing DAM IT! :mad:
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  2. AceFactor New Member

Thanks Received:
    This i quite common with graphics cards of its time!

Could be either that your power supply has decided to over-volt you card, or your card has drawn to much power!

Either way it would seem now as if circuitry on your card has blown!

If you can, use the old PCI card trick, flash back to the original bios, and RMA the card!

If you cant get that to work, it seems like you should buy another power supply, and you will have to invest in another graphics card.

If you have any friends who have knowledge in electronics and repair, get them to have a look at it, and hopefully a capasitor or resistor has blown, and the core and memory are still fine! :)

Tell me how it goes. . .

Adam
  3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    so much for ethics ..
  4. AceFactor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, the card either way shudnt have become defective in that way! :D

And even if he has re-flashed it, the card should still easily be able to handle it! :)

Companies make millions from making cards that fail- and they hardly refund, so you got nothing to lose anyway! :p

Adam