1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9800GX2 poor performance

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by chickennoob, Sep 27, 2009.

1. chickennoob

chickennoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    One more question, I think I need an after-market cooler for this GPU, it's too hot. After hour stressed with Crysis, the 1st GPU reached 97*C. What kind of cooler I should take for this GX2, it's different from other card that I used to have.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, the smaller cache and overclocking performance is why I chose my dual core E8500 over it, even though I really wanted a quaddy. As my PC is gaming oriented this makes sense and I made the right choice. My E8500 sits at 4.11GHz 24/7 and can even go to 4.75GHz, but then I don't have the appropriate cooling for that and my rig will just burn out sooner anyway.

BTW I haven't forgotten your post to me in GN. It's just that large posts like that demand more concentration and time than I can give now. Speeks later!

3. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    When i had a 9800GX2 and my e8500, i got 17k, everything was overclocked. (4ghz CPU)

Having a quad, you should be seeing around 18k at normal clocks I would think.

4. chickennoob

chickennoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    18k is impossible score for my rig, are you sure it's normal? Sound impressive!

5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    The resource difference between Vista & 7 is really noticeable, isn't it? Looking forward to seeing if re-installing 7 fixes this for you.

Finally, I'm a cat lover too and I've just created a thread especially for people like us in General Nonsense: MEOW! The CAT lovers thread

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, games still show better performance with a high clocked Dual-Core than a lower clocked Quad. However, if you do tasks that use all 4 cores, the quad will smoke a dual even if the quad is clocked significantly lower.

For gaming as a primary purpose, getting a dual-core would be a better choice, unless you can afford one of the extremely high end quads(Q9550 and above).

Try using a program like Rivatuner to force the fan speed to 100%. It might not help a whole lot, since the 9800GX2 is a hot running card, but it can help. Because of its design there aren't many after market coolers for it, unless you want to go water cooling.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    Single 9800GTX+.

Clock that quad up some more and your score will easily beat mine above. :)

chickennoob says thanks.
  8. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heres a couple of pics.....1 with my 9800GX2 with my Q6600 at 3500Mhz....the other is my 9800GX2 with my E8600 at 4400Mhz.

The 9800GX2 is a BEAST....but it needs a fast CPU to push it to it's limits.....and oh yea...Use Nhancer...great app to handle all the SLI profiles for your games and Video apps....an essential tool if you wanna get all you can out of any SLI setup IMHO.

Hope it helps. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    chickennoob and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  9. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    amazing what high clocked duals can do for ya :)

10. chickennoob

chickennoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, I almost forgot the Nhancer. But the Clock of your GX2 is really impossible to imagine with my rig, btw, my GX2 temp is really high, above 100*C when loaded. I don't know why, the air flow inside my case is kind of Ok, may be it have some dust inside the fan :confused: or maybe I need some AS5. Do you think the AS5 really help, I mean the construction of this GX2 is really strange to me. I've tried AS5 with HD4850 and it really worked.
    One more question about Nhancer, is it right that if I run my VGA without it, the performance my keep dropping down suddenly during the progress? That's what I'm being faced now, don't know it's because of CPU bottlenecking or lack of Nhancer???? Really hope it's because of the 2nd factor.

11. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Must also see why it has the graphics card run damn hot 88 degrees in idle ... ! Even if the fan runs !

If you have this graphics card for a long time in use, can 'is also possible that an excessive accumulation of dust in the heatsink, not all are able to disassemble and check but try where you can to blow air around the graphics card.

chickennoob says thanks.
  12. chickennoob

chickennoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, after removed the cover, it's temp at idle is ~65* but fulload with Crysis still above 100*. With ATItool it can never go over 80* for both GPUs.

13. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    in gpu-z select the drop down menu and choose the second 9800GX2 then tell me what the fan speed is in gpu-z under the sensors tab

14. chickennoob

chickennoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    61% at idle and 100% when load. The fan is working completely normal, trust me. I can adjust the fan speed in Riva Tuner and whenever I push it to 100%, it screams like a Monster, gosh.
    PS: Tonight I'll re-paste a bit AS5 for both GPUs. I've tried with HD4850 and the temp drop really noticeable.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  15. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    chickennoob says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    well then im out of ideas for the temp issue. your right time to rebuild.

chickennoob says thanks.
  17. chickennoob

chickennoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wait for my new result :D hope I can make a big change.
    My friend got 2xGTX285 SLI and he told me to use Nhancer too, he said it can keep the GPU perform its best performance in game like Crysis (Kind of surprise me because I think Crysis can take the full advantage of SLI by itself)

18. chickennoob

chickennoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I'm out of idea. I've took the GX2 a part, re-pasted the AS5, and now the Fullload temp still hit 100*C, can't go above but still 100*C. Awful. More over, 3dmark06 is a pain in the neck, the latest test gave me 13xxx point (???), but the Vantage performed better when fullload temp is lowered abit: 11555 GPU score is a noticeable jump from 10k. The final score of vantage is 13755 >>> Higher than 06, damn.
    What should I do now? Is there any after-market cooler for this GX2? It look kind of freak and I don't think I know any cooler that can be the replacement for the stock one.

19. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    lap the hs 2000grit....also.......for your proc...do you have speed steep c1 or anything like that enabled? because if your clocked low..that explains your poor score...but if you throttle and speed up..that explains the diffirences. as for graphics card overheating..that needs to be lapped or replaced

chickennoob says thanks.
  20. chickennoob

chickennoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean Intel Speed Step, it's enabled, of course. My CPU scored just 4k point in 3dmark 06.
    About the 1st problem, you mean I should lap the surface of the heat sink? Hmm, I'll think about it. Do you think that I need to paste more AS5? I mean maybe GPU isn't like CPU, maybe they need more glue to free from heat.
    Btw, ilde temp now is: GPU#1: 62, 57. GPU#2: 57,53.
    When fulload, GPU#1 hit 100*C and GPU#2 never go above 83*. Even when I didn't change the glue, the GPU#2 always cooler.

21. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    I has to be defective. Forget the score. Those temps are too high. I used the voltage tuner an upped voltage from 1.125v to 1.200v I believe. And max temp was 78 degrees with the fan at 80%.

chickennoob says thanks.
  22. chickennoob

chickennoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I run the test just to warm up the VGA.
    The main problem is still the overheating :D
    May be I should find a good place to place some fan which will blow air into the VGA.

23. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    ya its hard to tell i mean it gives a %age but without RPM readings its hard to tell if his fan is failing...i know this may seem odd but chickennoob can you take a pic of your pc with the side panel off so i can see the inside?...o and if you want better scores...turn off speed step.

chickennoob and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  24. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Yeah guys it's just weird. We need to cofirm if his fan is working properly and then take it from there.

25. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    well the problem is is that not even a voltage reading will tell us...because the bios is going to try. the easiest way to tell but in its own right the hardest way to tell is by sound...if the fan is clogged shes going to sound like their is a sock over it or it will make a swoosh sound like its in water....if her bearing is bad shes going to click or grind...if its working right its going to sound like a planes perpeller. the unfortunate part and no offense to you chickennoob is that you need to be relatively experianced to be able to tell the diffirence...i mean..its easier to know if the card worked 100% fine when you got it..the problem is..it hasent...so its harder to tell.