• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9800se

one2

ellow!

oky, i have R.9800se (sapphire) & instaled Catalyst 5.2 (from ati.com) ...
what do i have to do next :confused: :D ... for softmoding
what should i download & instal?

& than - the most important thing that i would like to know is: what do to, if i can't softmod my card (from 4 pipes to 8) - do i have to go to save mode & uninstal all this drivers & instal Catalyst 5.2?

well pls some comments & i'll get you more info if you'll have to know!

tanx!

A

ADV4NCED

To do the softmod, you need to go and download the ATI Catalyst Softmod drivers (from this site) or the Omega Softmod drivers. Its your Choice. ;)

If your card cannot successfully softmod, use Driver Cleaner 3 and rid your pc of all gfx drivers, then re-install Catalyst 5.2. :rolleyes:

Btw, you dont have to go to safe mode.

one2

do i need all softmodded things or only patched file?
Softmodded Catalyst Package
Softmodded Display Driver
Patched ati2mtag.sys

all this things?

& where is this Driver Cleaner 3?

-i already got ATItools - started >find max core/memory< & i got core from 378 cca + 10 (than i stopped) but if i try with my memory i only get from 290 to + 2 or 3 & than i see yellow spots on the cube ...

(sorry if there are any problems with my english - i'm not from there :p)

one2

& i see that there are new drivers every month ... should i wait 4 next one (should me in 10 days or somethin' like that) or it's cool with this 5.2?

A

ADV4NCED

Go for the Softmodded Catalyst Package.

You can also get Omega softmod drivers from here

Driver Cleaner 3 you can get from Here

J-Dragon

Processor Intel P4 - 3.0 Ghz HT
Motherboard Asus P4P800E Dlx
Cooling Thermaltake 80 mm + Chieftec 80 mm Fans
Memory 2x516 Kingston PC3200 Dual Chan Mem
Video Card(s) ATI AIW X800XL(400/500) o/ced to X850XT (540/600) stock fan
Storage 30+30+80 + 30 (external) + 250 (external) GB
Display(s) LG L1952S
Case Chieftec Dragon Blue Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Ultra 500 Watt PSU
Softmodding is really safe cuz you can just delete the drivers afterwards and revert it back to your old 9800 se. Please tell us if your se -> pro conversion is successful or not!

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
You will need:

• Driver Cleaner (from ADV4NCED's link)
  • Omega Drivers (http://www.omegadrivers.net; select the "ATI" link from the menu, then select your operating system and download them)

1. Install and run Driver Cleaner, get rid of your current video card drivers. Reboot.
  2. The "Found New Hardware" wizard will appear, just click "Cancel" until it goes away.
  3. Now run the Omega Drivers file that you downloaded, and extract the file to a specific location. Run the extracted file.
  4. Omega Drivers setup will begin. Just keep clicking "Next", and select the specific options you want (i.e. turn Fast Writes OFF, and choose the 9800 SE -> Pro softmod drivers).
  5. Once the drivers are installed, you will be asked to reboot. Click "Yes".
  6. Back in Windows, it's time to test your card. Start up a 3D game or benchmark, and if the picture looks great, your 9800 SE is now a 9800 Pro! But if you get triangles, weird color distortions etc., then I'm afraid your card has some broken pipelines... which can't be fixed :(.

If you have any problems, post in this thread!

J-Dragon

Processor Intel P4 - 3.0 Ghz HT
Motherboard Asus P4P800E Dlx
Cooling Thermaltake 80 mm + Chieftec 80 mm Fans
Memory 2x516 Kingston PC3200 Dual Chan Mem
Video Card(s) ATI AIW X800XL(400/500) o/ced to X850XT (540/600) stock fan
Storage 30+30+80 + 30 (external) + 250 (external) GB
Display(s) LG L1952S
Case Chieftec Dragon Blue Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Ultra 500 Watt PSU
One more thing to add...

If you have artifacts, don't give up right away and conclude that the softmod does not work. You should tinker around with your settings.

Download rage 3d. I've heard turning on/off Hyperichal Z, AA, AF n stuff like that, you can find a combination that will get ride of your artifacts!

one2

thanks for all this info - i'll try (allthough microsoft does not recomed it ;))
-anyways; if it won't work, i still think that this card shoud do it for at least a year and than i'll be looking for something with like 16pipes without any softmodding (from 600$ to cca 350$ in a year (and a half) i hope ;)

c ya :eek:)

SebyTheDragon

Hi there....
I've just bought a Radeon 9800SE 128MB/256 bit from Xpert Vision(Daytona....actualy.. :rolleyes: )...
Got some problems whit it while running Doom 3!
The softmoding didn't work....With 8 pipilines ive got artifact ....big oanes...even in windows....
Ok....now im back to the oficial drivers from ati...every thing went well....exept ...the folowing..
After playing abou 10-15 min of doom 3 whit high detail i start geting frames...or interuptions...They increese whit time...after 30 min...i get smth like 0.3 sec interuptions....
My computer teoreticaly can very well play doom 3 with high detail(not very high).Ive got a Athlon XP 1700+ @ 1833MHZ real frequency(a XP 2200+ if u want it :D ) plus 768 RAM 400mhz!
The procesor runs very well.It never exeds 45 degrees. I think my problem is with the cooling system on the video card...What do u think?? If so....what choices do i have??
I've heard thet the video card can be very well tunned by OC whithout moding if u change the cooling system!
If i'm about to change the cooling system....tel me a cheap one....cose im running low on cash... :eek: :confused: