• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

99 Problems, crossfire is all of them.

System Name Armor
Processor AMD FX-8350 Eight Core CPU @ 4.1 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth 990fx Rev. 2.0
Cooling Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1866 CAS 9
Video Card(s) 2x Gigabyte R9 290xOC Windforce 3 PCIe 3.0
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120 Gb SSD (OS) Seagate Barracuda ST1000dm003 1Tb SATA (Storage)
Display(s) LG 27' 1080p AH-IPS pannel LED Monitor.
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black
Audio Device(s) on board Realtek Audio Processor
Power Supply Seasonic X 1250w 80+ Gold
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (Genuine
Hello all, this will be my first post here since before 2009. I've got a new system up and running, but I've met some massive difficulties in getting it to run properly. System specs are posted on my profile!

First off, I'm running (Trying to, anyways....) two Gigabyte R9 290x 4 gig cards in crossfire. I've got an Asus Sabertooth 990fx Revision 2.0 motherboard. Currently, I am only running one of my cards, as the other seems to be bad. But, since the 290x's aren't the first cards I've ran on this system, lets start from the top, shall we?

When I purchased this system, I started out with two R9 280x cards, they worked in crossfire for a few months, however, after discovering that my motherboard manual recommended using slot 1 and slot 3 for crossfire, I switched the cards to these slots. It took me a long time and a lot of tinkering to get it working again (frequent system shut downs). After a while the secondary card started giving me a lot of problems. So, I pulled the primary card and tested the secondary card in OCCT, during the video card tests it showed a lot of errors (in the thousands) after the first 30 seconds and then the system would freeze. It seemed the card couldn't hold the 3d mode clocks and the Core clock was frequently fluctuating during 3d rendering and eventually would stop the system. So, I RMA'd the card, Gigabyte sent me a new Rev 1.0 (Original cards were both Rev 1.0) and I tried it, which also froze the system.

I started to think, perhaps my PSU wasn't working properly, so I tested it, and showed 12.16v on all PCIE external power connectors even though OCCT and GPUz were showing 11.7v on my 12v rail. I wasn't sure if that was just the software reporting the incorrect values or if the motherboard is bad.

Anyway, I RMA'd the second card and they sent me a brand new Rev. 2.0 R9 280x, and I tried it, but this time, I put the new Rev. 2.0 card in the primary slot and the working Rev 1.0 in the secondary slot. Oddly enough, the Rev 2.0 card died which eliminated the possibility that the motherboard had a bad slot or something. After I RMA'd the Rev 2.0 they sent me another refurb Rev 1.0, I placed it in the secondary card slot and it was also producing errors with my system.

After the third RMA I told Gigabyte that I wanted a model upgrade, so I ended up with my R9 290x cards. Here's the kicker, When I connected the cards, one in slot 1 and the other in slot 3, I booted my system and immediately the system locked up on windows log in, I assumed this was a driver problem. Went into safemode and removed old driver install then reinstalled 14.9 catalyst drivers, it was fine at that point.

I started Firefall and tried that, it doesn't support Crossfire so there was a lot of flickering and horizontal lines scrolling down the screen vertically, after a while the game froze and I was able to recover by ending the process. I started OCCT and ran a video test in full screen mode, it reported both cards were running x16 2.0 which was accurate, but after a minute or two I started to see errors and the test froze, once again, I was able to get back to the desk top and recover.

So, I pulled the working 290x out and ran the presumed bad one by itself, it was fine in Windows, but as soon as I started running a 3d test the screen started getting horizontal black lines flashing here and there, eventually the system froze and I had to reboot. Funny thing is, after the reboot, my system thought there was something wrong with my D: drive and required a checkdisk. Every time the bad card crashed my system, I had to perform a Checkdisk on my D: drive (event viewer reported NTFS errors on that drive at shudown). Also, after system crashes, my WNA3100 USB 802.11N adapter would reinstall itself at adapter #2 like it had been connected to a different USB port but it wouldn't work after that (Code 10) in dev manager.

So, after disconnecting the USB device and using cmd to configure devmgr to show nonconnected devices and removing device #2, then reconnecting the USB adapter, it worked fine again. This also happened with the 280x's when I was running them. Anyway, If I ran BF4 with the bad card, all over the screen I'd see little blue splotches in a "^^^^^^" pattern all the way down my screen in horizontal lines. They would start to show up and then become more noticeable after a few frames went by, eventually (within 10 seconds) freeze the machine and I'd either have to close BF4 or hard reboot the PC.

I assumed the card was bad, so I removed it and put in the working 290x, which was fine the first day, then on the second day, I was playing Firefall and noticed little black squares in a "^^^^^" pattern that were showing up one or two rows at a time, but would blink in and out at different elevations on the monitor. I close Firefall and saw that the card was running at 1.18v in OC Guru, so I over volted it to 1.24v and the problem went away. But I'm still seeing some artifacting, like black sections in the game where there should be geometry, they don't have sharp edges, they're very smooth black areas on the screen, like the texture is missing or something like that. But it's not as bad, I had it running at 1.25 at that point, so I downed it to 1.21 and it seemed to go away.

Also, GPUz says under VDDC Current in 11.2A under load, but VDDC Current out says 94A. My 12v rail is 104 A, I'm concerned here as I'm not sure where this 90A reading is coming from, I thought these cards had a TDP of 290W, 94A would put it way over that. Anyway, I find it odd that I go through two Rev 1.0, one Rev 2.0 and a brand new 290x with the same or similar problem without there being something else wrong with the system.

Ohh, by the way, when I use Crossfire, or when I'm running the bad card by itself, most of the time now it forced an immediate shutdown without a crashdump or error report of any kind. After the system immediately shuts down, the power button doesn't work, I have to reset the switch on the PSU to get the system back up and running. Could this be a problem with the Motherboard that's frying the cards? Would it be relevant to say that it's not the motherboard as it always kills the secondary card in my crossfire configuration regardless of whether or not I put it in the secondary slot or the primary slot or that it only kills one of the cards and not the other?

I'm so confused here and I'm not sure how to proceed! I'm sorry for the long post as I'm sure 90% of you won't bother to read it, but those of you who do, any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm completely worn out on RMA processes and I'd like to avoid it entirely. Hopefully someone has had a problem like this before!

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
As the motherboard/PSU has killed or almost killed 4 cards, perhaps it's time to stop throwing expensive hardware at it and take either part somewhere to be tested. Either your MoBo has some borked PCIE slots, or your PSU is on the blink. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and take it to a comp shop and ask them to test something.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 13900ks
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
As the motherboard/PSU has killed or almost killed 4 cards, perhaps it's time to stop throwing expensive hardware at it and take either part somewhere to be tested. Either your MoBo has some borked PCIE slots, or your PSU is on the blink. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and take it to a comp shop and ask them to test something.

To be honest diagnostics at my shop are free for example. We are a smaller shop only have 3 stores. and all of us would be excited to see an actual rig come in. Since most customers only bring us dells and incredibly old HPs they might even hook you up for making their day.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
I feel your pain man. I once went through this with my system and went from 2x XFX Radeon 6950s to GTX 570s (Both MSI and Zotac). I had a full custom water cooling at the time. The post I made is around here some where. I would rule out the video cards being the issue. I would start with the power supply. I went through and changed everything single piece of my PC out except that. I gutted my water cooling and everything as I had issues for almost 6 months.

I would definitely start with the power supply. If you can see what the readings in the BIOS are for all the voltages. The BIOS is usually really good about that kind of thing. The other thing you can try is a power supply tester (Thermaltake and Coolmax make some nice ones for about $25) to see what the base voltages are for all the rails. The other thing you can do is jump the power supply into starting and then use a multimeter to test the voltages. Again get a base going. I would then use something like AIDA64 or other monitoring to check the voltages of the system and not just the video cards under load.

All of my voltages were good at idle but as soon as I put any type of 3D load on the system, my 12V would drop to 11.6-7V, my 3.3V would drop to 2.8V, and my 5V was around 4.5V. That was causing a problem the entire time but I didn't notice as it was gradually getting worse.

As you stated, this is a new system. I would start with the power supply and then move onto the motherboard. I would test one card in each PCI-E after switching the Power Supply out just to then rule out the board.

System Name Armor
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120 Gb SSD (OS) Seagate Barracuda ST1000dm003 1Tb SATA (Storage)
So you're suggesting that I RMA the PSU and the Motherboard? One more thing, no matter what cards I have connected, there has ALWAYS been a High Definition Audio device under System devices in device manager that reports a Code 10, out of the three that populate, there is always one.. No matter what I do. With or without drivers... So, perhaps it is the motherboard...

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
To be honest diagnostics at my shop are free for example. We are a smaller shop only have 3 stores. and all of us would be excited to see an actual rig come in. Since most customers only bring us dells and incredibly old HPs they might even hook you up for making their day.

Last motherboard that broke I took to a shop, and they tested it for free too. Sure, I'd never buy anything from my local shops, but they are capable of testing hardware, otherwise they'd be out of business!

So you're suggesting that I RMA the PSU and the Motherboard? One more thing, no matter what cards I have connected, there has ALWAYS been a High Definition Audio device under System devices in device manager that reports a Code 10, out of the three that populate, there is always one.. No matter what I do. With or without drivers... So, perhaps it is the motherboard...

Not necessarily RMA both, but get both tested in a computer repair shop. They can tell you which one is broken, just tell them the details they need to be testing for. Then when you have an answer, you can RMA whichever component is broken.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 13900ks
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

I agree its the board or the PSU and im leaning at the mobo. a quick explination of a few points earlier.

you sad the multi meter said it was 12.xx and that the sensors said it was 11.x this is normal 1 OCCT meanures 12v rail it may not actually be the GPU rail that has the sensor on it. Also voltages drop under load. so if you bench thats why you see voltage dip.

Also expanding on the RMA process further. Understand we think your issue is the mobo or PSU that said its entirely possible you manged to kill your 290x too. We are simply trying to find the root problem. So at the end of the day you still may need to send back the

-mobo
-psu
-graphics cards.

because like some have said simply replacing them isnt going to fix this and if they have already been damaged getting a new board and PSU wont fix them either. You are essentially playing an expansive cat and mouse game.

my suggestion if you lost it in their. Dont buy anything else until you have RMAd everything in this order

-mobo
-psu
-graphics cards

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Have you re-installed the O.S. yet? I would do that first with the supposed bad card in the primary GPU slot and the slave card out until after the O.S. is installed and the drivers are installed as well as the CCC suite. then after your reboots go ahead and install the Slave card (the known good one) and re-test for issues if your still having issues it is probably the mobo that is in need of an RMA.

Reactions: XSI
System Name Armor
@Solaris17: I am in KY, so, a little too far for that.

@kiddagoat I've tested the Voltages for the PCIe connectors during load as well... They didn't change at all with one card on there. I'll have to test it with two cards and see.. Also, I work in a Wireless Device/Seismic/NEBS/Telecom Certification lab, so I do have access to equipment for testing electronics. I've run my system PSU through a machine called a Yokogawa WT210 to show the wattage/current draw from the wall, everything looked fine. Are you suggesting that I need to get a PSU tester that can run from the other side of the PSU? Also, my BIOS says my 12v rail is pushing 11.75v, hardwaremon shows the same and ALL other software including AIDA64 shows 11.75v but the MMeter on my PCIE connectors shows 12.16 no matter what I'm doing with my system. So, maybe the motherboard is bad because it's showing incorrect voltage readings and every time my system crashes I have a hardware problem somewhere else.

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Processor 7700k @5.0 delid
Motherboard Rog Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Memory 32 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200 xmp
Video Card(s) MSI RX 480 Gaming x 8G
Storage Samsung960evo250GB os Samsung 860 evo 500GB (Games)Samsung 840 120 (Storage)
Display(s) Viewsonic XG 2701 Freesync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) On board Supreme FX
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
Benchmark Scores 11+12=19?
Last motherboard that broke I took to a shop, and they tested it for free too. Sure, I'd never buy anything from my local shops, but they are capable of testing hardware, otherwise they'd be out of business!

Not necessarily RMA both, but get both tested in a computer repair shop. They can tell you which one is broken, just tell them the details they need to be testing for. Then when you have an answer, you can RMA whichever component is broken.
This is exactly what I did when my Mobo had a bad x16 slot. Was without my pc for a bit when they Rma'd my board but it was better than killing my card and lord knows what else.

System Name Armor
Also tested the 8pin EPS for external CPU power under 100% load using java rocket on all 8 cores and voltage on MM tests showed 12.16... My PSU has a single 12v rail and it does a bunch of load balancing so it could also be the PSU since I only see it with two cards connected... I'll test it with them both in there tomorrow and see where that gets me.

System Name Armor
@Tallencor I don't think it's specifically one of the PCIe slots as I've run my single working card in all four of the slots without any problems...

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Processor 7700k @5.0 delid
Motherboard Rog Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Memory 32 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200 xmp
Video Card(s) MSI RX 480 Gaming x 8G
Storage Samsung960evo250GB os Samsung 860 evo 500GB (Games)Samsung 840 120 (Storage)
Display(s) Viewsonic XG 2701 Freesync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) On board Supreme FX
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
Benchmark Scores 11+12=19?
@Tallencor I don't think it's specifically one of the PCIe slots as I've run my single working card in all four of the slots without any problems...
That's not my point. My point is as @RCoon mentioned in my quote of his words is to take it to a shop and have them test your hardware on a bench or with their own tools of the trade. It will save you time and stop the additional cards you are getting from blowing up.
Edit: This sounded rude. I am sorry if you read it that way.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
@OP I was not aware you had access to that kind of equipment. Your voltages are still within ATX specifications unless they are spiking heavily during loading/unloading but that usually would mean just a hard system crash/blue screen. You would get the flickering/horizontal lines momentarily before the system restart/turned off. At least in my experience anyway.

Given the equipment you have access to, other symptoms, and what the others have recommended here, I would start with the motherboard as well. Again as others recommended, I would go to a local shop and have them test the board with a video card that doesn't require power other than from the PCI-E Slot. If their card is doing the same thing, that would be the motherboard.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
You need an oscilloscope to measure the ripple. That is what kills hardware. Multimeters doesn't capture that. Power analysers might be able to see it, depending on your surroundings. Measuring at the wall means just that, measuring at the wall.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
saber tooth 990fx is plagued with problems. pretty much everyone has had problems with them here. one of my juniors has one and his keeps breaking every 2 3 months and taking a component with it.

PSU might be an issue as well. but if your PSU was bad you should have killed the motherboard as well instead of just the cards since its all single channel nowadays. So i am leaning more towards the motherboard PCIe slots.

i have been to the asus service centre here quite a few times with my previous motherboard(4 times in 2 years) and the way they fix these are very poor. no one has anti static equipment so many returned products had ram slots or pcie slots borked.

there is also a slight chance you have killed it yourself with static.
make sure your houses earthing is proper. and if you have carpeting, touch bare metal in your chassis with power supply connected, with your hands to remove static.

Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
Cooling Deepcool GAMMAXX S40
Memory Kingston HyperX Beast Black 8gb @ 1600 cl8
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 670 POWER EDITION
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Caviar Black 500GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2420T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3
Power Supply FSP 650w
Madness, asus amd mobo`s are garbage.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Madness, asus amd mobo`s are garbage.

That's a rather generalised and rash statement to make. Granted, their BIOS support for pre-release is never great, but considering thousands of people use them, and the company still exists, I'd hardly call them garbage.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
That's a rather generalised and rash statement to make. Granted, their BIOS support for pre-release is never great, but considering thousands of people use them, and the company still exists, I'd hardly call them garbage.
they are in really poor state here with their amd boards. people are getting fed up.
performance wise they are fine but reliability has become iffy. hope they will do better with the next gen.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I'd just RMA the board. Asus make great boards, heck that's all I run.. I've read most of this thread and your beating a dead horse. Tell RMA you want to cross ship.

System Name Armor
I have an oscilloscope at my disposal and I can test the ripple with it, but I won't have the ability to do so until tomorrow afternoon. Ultimately, the question here is, should I keep testing to narrow down this issue and risk damaging other hardware, or should I just go ahead and RMA the motherboard? Given the fact that all my voltage readings in windows and in the bios have been lower than what my calibrated voltage meter reads from both the PCIe connectors and the 8 pin EPS connector, what is the actual likelihood that my PSU is having problems? Also, given the fact that my PSU has OVP and OCP, when the system has an instant shutdown and I can't power it back on without power cycling the PSU, would that indicate the one of the OVP or OCP features was triggered, or is that my motherboard preventing a power on?

System Name Armor
@fullinfusion What is cross shipping? I send the replacement at the same time I send the damaged one?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Given the fact that all my voltage readings in windows and in the bios have been lower than what my calibrated voltage meter reads from both the PCIe connectors and the 8 pin EPS connector, what is the actual likelihood that my PSU is having problems?

You can't trust software.

That's from a previous, rock stable system I had. It even overclocked nicely.

System Name Armor
@Frick Holy WOW! That's really off!! But, don't you think that the voltages in the BIOS would be closer than what software says?? Because the BIOS voltages agree with the software voltages.. They both say 11.75v...

System Name Armor
@de.das.dude I always use anti-static equipment in a Level II ESD lab. I have static mats and I use wristbands that are verified with a tester. I'm completely aware of the damage that static discharge can do to electronic equipment. After all, I DO work in an electronics testing lab. You'd think I knew what I was doing! :D