• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A 1 ms GTG monitor vs. A G-Sync enabled monitor

• Thread starter Deleted member 138597
  • Start date
System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
The way I understand it, the gold standard as it were is to have the card locked at 120Hz vsync with no dropped frames? G-Sync helps massively with the situation where the framerate cannot maintain 120fps. I'll likely end up buying this when they bring out a 27" G-Sync monitor and I have the appropriate graphics card.

I abhor the idea of having to purchase an NV product to take advantage of another product made by NV... reminds me of what they did with SLI for so many years... greed. Yes, not arguing they do make great products.

i'm just recommending you get more familiar with what you're going to be debating in general, otherwise it ends up looking foolish if you cant even get the name right or the reason it exists (physx started as an addon card by an unrelated company, that's quite a big difference to the situation)

ugh... what are you trying to say. what is connection between new dp standard and g-sync?

the concept of gsync is the future, there is no reason for an LCD to be at a fixed refresh rate at all times, so there needs to be pressure put on VESA, monitor makers, AMD, and so on to update the display standards to get around the limitations of vsync when framerate is below the refresh (of course having it nvidia exclusive with only like 3 expensive monitor models is not a solution, it's just baby steps for now)

i'll come out right now & say that i'm not pro nvidia & have not been since early 2008, just dont like the attitude & business practices, but that doesnt mean gsync is a bad idea or that the engineers/employees/programmers are bad people

there's also something to note for physx.... it's simply a library, there arent that many gpu accelerated (& thus locked to nvidia) games out there compared to the 100s & 100s of cpu based & console based physx enabled games

that fact alone, that devs dont have to worry about coding a physics engine, that it's built into unreal3 for example, that it's multiplatform, it's just another powerful tool to make games

very few issues are clear cut

for our closing thought of the day, the irony of 'the way it's meant to be played' launching together with the failure of the geforce 5 series is pretty hilarious :D

System Name Parts Arriving Now...
Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Noctua u14s w/push-pull
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 1866
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA GTX 780ti Superclocked
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD black 2TB
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution II 1440p
Case Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-FI xtrememusic
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Software Window 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores n/a, system being built this week
i'm just recommending you get more familiar with what you're going to be debating in general, otherwise it ends up looking foolish if you cant even get the name right or the reason it exists (physx started as an addon card by an unrelated company, that's quite a big difference to the situation)

the concept of gsync is the future, there is no reason for an LCD to be at a fixed refresh rate at all times, so there needs to be pressure put on VESA, monitor makers, AMD, and so on to update the display standards to get around the limitations of vsync when framerate is below the refresh (of course having it nvidia exclusive with only like 3 expensive monitor models is not a solution, it's just baby steps for now)

i'll come out right now & say that i'm not pro nvidia & have not been since early 2008, just dont like the attitude & business practices, but that doesnt mean gsync is a bad idea or that the engineers/employees/programmers are bad people

there's also something to note for physx.... it's simply a library, there arent that many gpu accelerated (& thus locked to nvidia) games out there compared to the 100s & 100s of cpu based & console based physx enabled games

that fact alone, that devs dont have to worry about coding a physics engine, that it's built into unreal3 for example, that it's multiplatform, it's just another powerful tool to make games

very few issues are clear cut

for our closing thought of the day, the irony of 'the way it's meant to be played' launching together with the failure of the geforce 5 series is pretty hilarious :D

I disagree with the bolded statement. Any kind of "syncing" technology introduces lag, so long as the refresh rate is fast enough and you can produce enough frames there is no reason for any kind of "sync" technology. G-Sync is much lower lag than V-Sync, but it's still there and the recent review from Anandtech does a good job of explaining it. Any time you're doing processing with a signal (which syncing frames is) then you're introducing *some* lag. Lag is evil, I don't want lag. 120hz or higher lightboost IPS would be MUCH better than a 1400p G-Sync monitor...

I don't think G-Sync is a bad idea, but I will always want a way to turn it off and make sure it won't affect my performance. Unless they can completely *eliminate* the lag (which I question is even possible) then I don't want it. I'd rather have a powerful system and keep my framerates high...

I disagree with the bolded statement. Any kind of "syncing" technology introduces lag, so long as the refresh rate is fast enough and you can produce enough frames there is no reason for any kind of "sync" technology. G-Sync is much lower lag than V-Sync, but it's still there and the recent review from Anandtech does a good job of explaining it. Any time you're doing processing with a signal (which syncing frames is) then you're introducing *some* lag. Lag is evil, I don't want lag. 120hz or higher lightboost IPS would be MUCH better than a 1400p G-Sync monitor...

I don't think G-Sync is a bad idea, but I will always want a way to turn it off and make sure it won't affect my performance. Unless they can completely *eliminate* the lag (which I question is even possible) then I don't want it. I'd rather have a powerful system and keep my framerates high...

alright so the future standard should also be optional as that's another thing i highly value, user control

this way the user can use fixed refresh mode, or framerate based refresh mode, & some new card+cable can support older legacy monitors with the sync type feature disabled, this is tech standards done right :cool: similar to usb3, pcie3, sata3

Processor Intel i7-4770k
Case Corsair 750D
alright so the future standard should also be optional as that's another thing i highly value, user control

this way the user can use fixed refresh mode, or framerate based refresh mode, & some new card+cable can support older legacy monitors with the sync type feature disabled, this is tech standards done right :cool: similar to usb3, pcie3, sata3

Yep, as long as I'm able to turn it off and have no impact to performance for it being included with the monitor, knock yourself out...

I'm not against something that will help people on the lower spectrum of the FPS curve have a more playable experience. I think it's a great idea, and everything I've heard said it looks AWESOME. Maybe the lag will be unnoticable and I'd even see a benefit at high FPS, I haven't gotten to see one in person so I can't say. Unfortunately, the trend is all matte finish monitors and I can't stand them...so even when they start launching it will probably be quite some time before a model I would consider becomes available. I hope I'm wrong though since I'm still very interested in seeing it...

Processor Intel i7-4770k
Case Corsair 750D
are you saying you prefer glossy? i'm the opposite, cant stand reflections

Yes, I prefer glossy. I get headaches and eye strain from monitors with heavy matte finishes, which is nearly all of them these days. No one makes a semi-glossy finish anymore and it's really annoying. Reflections are only an issue if you have a lighting source directly behind your monitor. I don't even notice reflections on mine, but I do notice it's nice and crisp and doesn't sparkle like the matte IPS I have at work...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Yes, I prefer glossy. I get headaches and eye strain from monitors with heavy matte finishes, which is nearly all of them these days. No one makes a semi-glossy finish anymore and it's really annoying. Reflections are only an issue if you have a lighting source directly behind your monitor. I don't even notice reflections on mine, but I do notice it's nice and crisp and doesn't sparkle like the matte IPS I have at work...
I hate the sparkly effect too, really detracts from a sharp picture.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
I hate the sparkly effect too, really detracts from a sharp picture.

G-sync any day of the week. Not to mention that G-sync monitor will be 1ms. At least the specs I've seen and the Asus/Gsync monitor I have.

D

Deleted member 138597

When will that FreeSync from AMD coming? And I don't see any monitors with G-Sync except ASUS. Did they stopped its production?

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
1ms monitors? when did they come out with those?

G-sync any day of the week. Not to mention that G-sync monitor will be 1ms. At least the specs I've seen and the Asus/Gsync monitor I have.

Wow, Are you on a mission to resurrect any old thread that has to do with G-Sync.

Can't wait for the next thread you spam.

When will that FreeSync from AMD coming? And I don't see any monitors with G-Sync except ASUS. Did they stopped its production?

There was no monitor just a Do-it-Yourself Kit which was made for ASUS VG248QE and isn't being sold any more.
Monitors are suppose to be available Q2 2014

1ms monitors? when did they come out with those?

Couple of companies have them. There all on TN panels.

Last edited:

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Oh come on, when did irony die? .... what kind of monitor do I have?

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
I'm running the G-SYNC: ASUS VG248QE and its 1ms. the ROG swift will be 1ms GTG as well.