1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A ? about adding a PhysX card to my system

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by sttubs, Oct 10, 2010.

1. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    like others stated 240 is ideal, i used 240 "green edition" no issues at all

sttubs and JD15 say thanks.
  2. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Is there a GT240 Green Edition? Pretty sure that all of them have similar power consumption & no external power requirements

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    lol yeah I was the first to suggest a GT240, still seems like a better go then the GT430, just thought it was worth a mention.

perhaps the green edition is passive? as [Ion] stated theres no pci-e power conector anyway.

4. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    its the same, i just hate having extra power source if u dont really need it

"green edition" i meant no xtra power source

5. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
  6. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea what language that site even is, but this would be my choice: http://www.alternate.es/html/produc..._GeForce_GT/Asus/ENGT240-DI-512MD3-A/389709/?
    It's an Asus, which I've had good luck with, it's one of the cheaper ones, and still plenty quiet. I'd rather save the extra money and get a card that would still be inaudible when compared to the rest of your setup.

And there's certainly no need for 1GB for a PhysX card (although my PhysX card is a 2GB 9600GT, but that's only because it's my old primary GPU)

Mr McC says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    The site's in Spanish ;)

Thanks for the input.

8. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Aha, guessed it might be with the .es domain name, but wasn't sure.

Really any card with 96SPs or more would be plenty for this purpose :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Good to see that it is that easy to run PhysX with an ATI card...

One question GTX240 512MB or 1GB?
    I guess 512MB would be more then enough for PhysX , right?

EDIT: Well i guess i'll pass on PhysX , still not enough games that would justify a $90-100 on GTX240 IMO
    http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_home.html

Oh! well in a few years down the road when more games use PhysX... maybe? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  10. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    9600GT and above, better thing look for something have high GPU clock will be great and very useful for physics

11. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Im using a GT240 512 at min its def the one all physx games runnable in high except just cause 2 that dosnt play right due to apex physx( newer physx but not sure its any diff) i had an 8600 gts 32 shaders and it wasnt enought for high, my gt240 was £52 from microdirect and the only advice ive got is go for the 512 ddr5 not ddr3 as its obv bit quicker and fit in any pcie slot even x4 makes no diff ive had it in the x16 crossfire only port and it still worked fine just dont use driver sweeper at all ive had to reinstall twice cos of it, no need just over install drivers -apply 1.04ff physx patch

a v good link to lots of info/from the maker of patch :toast:
    http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-04ff.html

12. RockON

RockON New Member

Thanks Received:
    How About a 9800GT

13. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    9800gt would be fine

14. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    ;)

When nvidia bought Ageia , they intentionally made interception code to de-optimize any CPU , hence the Physx card > $ into nvidia pockets :)

Don't tell me stories about semiaccurate , im there for 2 years and i know how it is (i know how it is , he's wright 90% of the time but when he makes little mistakes everyone goes skyrocket , and he admits and fixes any problems when he realizes mistakes. http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/nvidia-purposefully-hobbles-physx-cpu/

It's fudzilla that's a bit weird sometimes , but semiaccurate is fine.

EDIT: not only that , the research and discovery was also proven by another party Real World Tech

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  15. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    He's not right 90% of the time, he's not even right 50% of the time. But when his BS is caught and challenged, or doesn't come true, he usually removes the story from the site.

And nVidia didn't de-optimize CPUs by adding any code, the base of PhysX has changed very little from when Ageia had it. They just ported it to CUDA.

Not using SSE for PhysX makes perfect sense, and somewhere on here even W1zard himself says this. Why? Because the original PhysX card was essentially a modified GPU. It did not have SSE, PhysX was never meant to run on anything that had SSE, it was never meant to run on a CPU at all, so coding PhysX to use SSE would be totally stupid. Ageia coded PhysX to use x87 instead of SSE, not nVidia. So right there, the article is wrong, throw it into the 50+% of other wrong artiles form Charlie. Most of his articles are wrong because he is usually blaming the wrong person(nVidia) for whatever he feels is bad without knowing a damn thing about what he is talking about.

Another interesting thing is that nVidia actually just added SSE2 support with the latest PhysX SDK, where is Charlie to talk about that? He makes a huge stink about how nVidia purposely didn't use SSE, when that was really Ageia's fault, and now that nVidia has added SSE/SSE2 support, no news from Charlie...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  16. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    mistake

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  17. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Come on we all know how nvidia plays , good for him he removes the untrue stories , keeps unsuspecting trolls away and also doesn't make up bumps in search engines what isn't right or severely outdated but i never seen deleting stuff ... it's more the other wannabe sites that delete articles a lot (that's like every day event)

It doesnt' matter at most , since it's all quite evident from the circumstances , there is a motive , a goal , a way , it's all clear how nvidia operates. You really have to be a noob to believe what they put on advertismens and their PR , it's all old news , so it's not surprising , plus there goes the puppy there. Sometimes puppies feel like they aren't alive :rolleyes:

18. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    No, you have to be a real noob to believe Charlie when he says nVidia purposely didn't use SSE when it was obviously done by Agiea because the technology was never meant to be run on anything with SSE support.

But keep up the good anti-nVidia fight, they are so terrible.

19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sttubs says thanks.
  20. AmigaWolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Question, i have a ASRock X58 Extreme3 MB with 2x PCI-E 2.0 16x slots and 1x 4x slot, and i have 2x Geforce GTX 460 1GB in SLI, now can i use a Geforce GT 430 in my PCI-E 2.0 4x Port as PhysX Card?

21. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yes. Though you probably won't notice any difference if you add a dedicated PhysX card, the two GTX460 1GB cards can handle the minor PhysX load without any real performance hit.

22. nailzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I assume an 8800GT would work since it's virtually identical to the 9800GT? I have Physx installed via Steam, so all I'd need is the patch, or the Hydra chip on my MSI motherboard to get an ATI and NVIDIA card to work together?

23. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-physx-hack-amd-radeon,2764-4.html

There you have one more proof to that "he is right 90% of the times" :rolleyes: (that's irony if you didn't get it)

A 10%-20% improvement. So much for the headlines. So much for spending millions of dollars updating it, especially since it's not meant to be run on the CPU.

*Edit: Oh and that's Bullet BTW, a CPU physics provider that is closely working with AMD so it should be good and use SSE2, yet it looks like they use x87 too. Maybe there's a reason for using x87 other than crippling performance on the CPU?

And the other question about it running on multiple cores.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh a 4 Ghz ~$200 6-core CPU "comes close" to a dedicated card, a dedicated card that could have been a cheap GT240 or used 9600/9800.

And sure that they could use all the available cores on a i7 or Phenom x6 and be close to what GPU physics offers, but what about the 90% of the rest of people who only have quads or lower? What about the 60% that still has dualies? It's just not profitable to create something for such a small number of people, especially when at least half of those people have Nvidia card anyway, and many of the other half would not mind buying a $75 Nvidia card to accompany their $500 CPU and $500 GPU...

Ultimately what most people forget is that for the consumer, should he want to take benefit of the added details, it is also better to "be forced" to buy a Nvidia card next time he upgrades or "be forced" to buy a cheap Nvidia card as dedicated card, than to "be forced" to buy a new $200 CPU + $150 mobo + $80 memory every time that a new game uses more details than what his current CPU can handle.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
    AmigaWolf says thanks.
  24. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    just a quick question.. all i had to use for physx was an 8800gt.. was it worth it.. or no?

25. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends. It does make a difference in Mafia 2 and the few select games that use GPU PhysX, hence the question you have to make yourself is if it's worth it to buy a cheap card for only those select games. If you have it lying around sure, use it.