1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A book for installing and setting up windows server 2003

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Rexter, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Rexter

Rexter New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, in short i want to learn how to setup and install windows server 2003 starting from the very basics.

[​IMG]

Ive been thinking about buying this book since ive flicked through it once before, and it was indeed very good. It started with the very basics from installing the OS, and then moved on getting more and more advanced.

I want to learn how to make an active directory and email server, both for the fun of it and to learn more about it so i can use that knowledge at work.

What do you guys think?

2. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    I usually find the MCSE books very dry with only the "how", and not the "why, when, and where".

But if you're starting from the beginning, this might not be a bad book.

If you have a decent box to run virtual machines, I'd go that way. Can pop out a couple servers and clients so that you can get a feel for the interaction between them in a domain.

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Windows Server 2003 is pretty easy to install. If you've dealt with Windows XP, there's only a few questions that are different. The only thing that requires a lot of learning is Active Directory. The schooling I had on it was far more complex/ineffective than just putting me in front of it to have at it.

If you can, I'd recommend just installing it and playing with it on a spare system. Google can answer most of your questions. ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Rexter

Rexter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the reply's :)

How different is server 2k3 from the old server 2k? i have a server stowed away with a fresh install of server 2k, so i thought i would start with that. I will install 2k3 later though.

But i was hoping this book could help me with the old 2k as well.