1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A+ Certification Help

Discussion in 'General Software' started by BondExtreme, Oct 27, 2011.

1. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    So I am studying for the A+ certification test and my buddy gave me his book which seems decent and covers about 95% of what would be on the test. What I would like to know however is could anyone recommend me to an online type class where you actually take a course for this and then at the end, you take the exam?

Would think an actual class would be helpful since you don't have the best guidance with this book... Thanks

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'd look at your local community college and see if they have an online class you can take.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    I would recommend doing a practice test somewhere the a+ isnt super hard if you fairly competent with whats in that book you should be good to go.

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  4. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    true, not to belittle people with an A+ cert, but saying you have one is like saying you can turn on a computer and operate it. you should be able to find some nice tests online that will help in not embarrassing yourself.

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    When I took the A+ it was full of ass backwards shit that you don't need to know at all(like IRQ numbers) and some of it wasn't even true.:laugh:

I actually think it is easier for people with no computer knowledge to just study and take then test and pass than it is for someone that actually knows their stuff to try and unlearn somethings they know in order to give the answers the test wants...

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    it all comes down to what you would like to have a career in. if you want to be a tech monkey then go ahead with certs and apply for jobs doing the same damn thing over and over again. if you would like to actually participate in the profession and contribute to it then get a degree.

7. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    I just took the A+ practice test on the disc that comes with the book. I was roughly 20 points away from passing lol but what messed me up was a lot of these multiple answer multiple choice questions if that makes any sense...

And these types of questions messed me up... "What is the minimum processor requirement for Windows Vista?" I put 825MHz instead of 800MHz... :shadedshu

8. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    yea, generally those certs focus on things nobody cares about which is why nobody in the industry takes them serious except for basement dwellers.

BondExtreme says thanks.
  9. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I would skip the official class, unless it pays for the A+ exam fee. Just study from the book and practice sites(plenty of them online).

The thing with the A+ cert is it's crap by itself. To do much of anything, and literally it wont be much, you'll need a matching pair of IT or Microsoft Cert's to get you anywhere.

I'd suggest the certs route rather than a 2 year 'technical' degree like DeVry or even some Associate's of Science programs. The certs are learn at your own pace(no pressure to take the exam, totally when your ready) and you can add them individually.

More on certs here:
    http://certification.comptia.org/getCertified/certifications.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-overview.aspx

More complete list of outside certs:
    http://www.mcmcse.com/othercerts.shtml

from linux to Cisco

10. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't say certs are totally worthless. It shows that you have the drive to learn. The A+ was a little bit of a joke I must agree, however, other certs most notably Network+ would look better on a resume. However, for me, I just took the newest Network+ exam and passed barely. It was filled with so much information, sometimes ass backwards like others have said, so don't rely 100% on book answers. They actually give you 2 tries (at least the place where I took the test) I think in order to get a passing score.
    However, when all is said and done.....experience is KING no matter what.

11. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    if you really want to impress a future employer then take the initiative by learning an emerging technology. nobody cares if you can navigate your way around tcp/ip in windows server. they want to know what kinds of new things are out there that they can leverage to their competitive advantage.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    this course when i took it it was hands on based.

13. ZakkWylde

ZakkWylde

Thanks Received:
    How useful would these certs be to someone that isn't going into the IT field but just as proof of computer competence, for say an engineer/ chemist/ biologist etc.

14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    A+ cert is for troubleshooting and building computers, i was already building computers and took this course to further my knowledge in them, if my school at time had networking+ i would of taken it.

but you will need to have MSCE, A+, Network+ and a few other certs to mean anything in the market, being A+ certed means you can work in a PC repair shop/parts warehouse, example being Directron or Frys electronics.

This course does not incorporate Code writing/Computer Science.

I learned how to convert Binary into Decimal thanks to Electronic Principals in the AF

15. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    The A+ is absolutely not worth spending any money on a class for. As long as you have half-decent and up-to-date study materials (again, not worth spending much money on), you should be fine. Practice tests are great too.

Many entry-level jobs require the A+ just because it's so basic that they feel like everybody should have it.

16. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    So get this... Called the school up today and they said they do have the online class through CompTIA and the course is over $1000 JUST to prepare you for the exam. :twitch:

17. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Like I said, not worth spending money on a class.

18. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Dont enroll, just study yourself if your that interested.

19. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    Agree!

This way you can take your time... And save some cash!

*Side Note: If you can turn on a computer, printer and spin around in a chair... You should be fine.

20. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    man i wish it worked that way here... I've been trying to get a tech job and they're like, you need so and so certs. I then look over and see one of their techs that don't even know the difference between a sata cable and a pata cable.... and others that think laptops can't display 1080p. I had to sit there and listen to some "expert" tell a guy looking at laptops that "blu-ray drives in a laptop are useless because no laptop screen can display bluray res." and the guy ended up buying both an even higher priced laptop along with a blu-ray set top box. (TigerDirect Jefferson, GA Store >.< ) :banghead:

I tried to mention that laptop can in fact display bluray just fine but the "expert" proceeded to talk over me... so i left the store before i had to explain to the cops why i :nutkick:

21. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/qosmio/X770/X775-3DV80
    Next time show him this link, if he still does not believe you then tell him I must have the ONLY laptop that is able to display 1080p and I will sell it to him for $3000 :roll:

22. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    nah i just ask for a girl that works there now... she tends to "get bored" and likes to see what i'm planning on getting lol. unless she's not working, then i just come back another time as she's the most helpful one there...

still i'd like a job there...

and damn those test for certs are expensive.

23. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Just a note on experience, it all depends on the position your applying for. Sometimes over-experienced applicants can be turned away because management may not want a career climber in that position. Also experience can be shown in more ways than just work.

24. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    At Chattanooga tech, CompTIA testing is 300$ a test. I called to get it and CCNA before I went to college and it seemed like It wasn't worth it so I just got a degree in electronics engineering. Employers like to hear that over "I got a A+ cert"

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Why do you have to choose one or the other? It's better to have a degree and certs. Also, a cert is something you can get right now while you're working on a degree, instead of waiting however many years to be able to put something on your resume.