1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A "clicky" keyboard suggestion?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, Jan 13, 2010.

1. dna1x

dna1x New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Polaris if you are interested... This is the Model M and you can buy em new.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/customizer.html

Polaris573 says thanks.
  3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Binge, that German keyboard you listed, how exactly are the keys like? More specifically how is each row (left to right) of keys placed? I'd like a keyboard that has a steady (albeit slight) increase in height from the space bar all the way up to the function keys. I've seen (and bought) some keyboards where the middle is either equal in height or actually lower than the bottom/top rows, sort of concaving inwards.

4. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    They will be tiered as you are asking about, most keyboard I see are like that.

Kantastic says thanks.
  5. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    It's standard spacing. The keyboard is only made in Germany, but that model is designed for English standard typists. It also is very generic in form.

Kantastic says thanks.
  6. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
  7. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    If you want a keyboard you can really abuse, grab an old Dell Quietkey off eBay. These things can really take a beating, and sound like a little typewriter while doing so :D

8. DarkEgo

DarkEgo

Thanks Received:
    I just want to say: THANK YOU! After looking through this thread, i went in the basement and found my old Moddel M. You know you have a quality key board when you can use it for bench pressing!

9. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I too would recommend the model M. In fact, I am typing on one at the moment and it is perhaps the best typing experience possible. I know that I can sit down for an entire day and hammer out 3 1000 word essays without my hands getting tired. It would be perfect if my desk were larger or I had one of the wrist rests too but the model M itself has revolutionized my typing exprience.

Before moving to the M, I would eventually get sore fingers after bottoming out on every letter just to make sure that I didn't miss a letter. Now, I know when I have typed a letter due to the characteristic click of the model m. My roommates (I emphasize this because this keyboard has indirectly caused one of them to leave) didn't exactly like the clickiness of the keyboard but when they tested it out, both agreed that my keyboard was superior to theirs'.

FYI, I opted to go with the Space Saver from Unicomp since it saves a bit of space compared to the classic model M. Since this is a new keyboard and is in my mind not a true model M, I didn't see why I needed one which took up more space.

The only possible candidate for a better keyboard might be an ALPS-based keyboard like the Avant Stellar, but these go for around $180!

Flashstar

10. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kan if your still looking, a generic cheap keyboard would work great by the sounds of things.

I'm using one by " labtec" right now!