1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A comment with every vote for the case gallery

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by tkpenalty, Jan 6, 2008.

?

Should we have comments with every post in the case gallery?

1. Yes

78.6%
  2. No

21.4%
  1. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    So guys hey, who agrees with me that we should have a comment with every vote for the case gallery? Its not nice to not know why you got that score, don't you all agree? This is also to prevent people from randomly doing 1 votes, etcetra. I really hate it when people try to vote as low as possible, trying not to get their comments entered (example 9.0, max vote 10, min vote 6.0, and people who don't want to be identified vote 6).

Yes there is a privacy issue behind it but, don't you think we are letting people off for this? It just shows that some people here aren't so honest. Those who cause it won't vote anymore if this is to occur. See, some case mods, you see an abundance of people trying to vote as low as possible, just to not get their comments posted and be identified, which I have to say is very cowardly.

PLEASE VOTE YES.
  2. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I agree completely.
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i agree. i've had systems posted in there, people say its great but give a 1.0.

Slightly off topic, but i think it needs sections too - i post systems in there and get lots of low scores just because the CASE isnt modded (imo, it should just be a PC gallery, mods or not)
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think that this forum is bound by any "privacy constraints" plus, I'm all for it. +1 :rockout:
  5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    Actually, i think i have more of an opinion now :) the last 2 minutes spent on thinking gave me insight!

Simply put: if you dont have anything nice to say... dont say it. If people are concerned about their 'privacy' and 'right to say one thing and do another' - then dont post. win.
  6. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 agreed, specially with people who are trying to unvale to the world "THE NUMBER 13", they need comments on why they get 1's :laugh:
  7. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll vote yes... but only because you said please
  8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i searched for that case... and honestly stated why i thought it was crap. At least he can message/PM me if he wants tips to make something less likely to cause seizures.
  9. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1.
    I admit to have voted without commenting, but only when I give fairly good marks, cause most of the times others just cover what I have to say.
    But, If, for some reason, I see something that spoils it for me, I comment and then vote, even if the vote is 1/10.
    :toast:
  10. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I agree entirely.

And as people have said, what privacy? If you vote a 1 than you can at least have the decency to explain yourself instead of running away and hiding.
  11. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think is best to not use specific cases as examples... because everyone is going to start referencing to some bad vote, and there is no point in doing that as we all know what we are talking about... We have all seen it happen. :toast:
  12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i was making the point that although i dislike it and gave a low score, i stated reasons why. This behaviour is the what we want to encourage, and discourage random low scores.
  13. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know, friend, we both agree to that, didn't mean to target you, I'm just trying to get people to avoid refering to specific cases... :toast:
    Mussels says thanks.
  14. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    See, the thing is those people who do vote for the lulz factor/e-terrorist reason, aren't voting because it would make it rather obvious who they are. Mods, please have a discussion together and implement it :D
  15. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    this is definently a yes.
  16. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    i always thought this was a must for case mod section
  17. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are any moderators ever going to make this happen...?
  18. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    This is a W1zzard type job.
  19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    go PM him for us :p
  20. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    I vote no on this....

Why is it always the little yellow car and the case gallery:)
  21. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    lol, true
    and i don't have patience to comment on every case i see
    i just comment the best or the worse :)
  22. reverze

Thanks Received:
    about to stick my case up here soon, would like to have fair and constructive voting..

I agree with the vote.
  23. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Gonna take more than 21 votes ....
  24. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    What yellow car? *stab*
    This all seems too suspicious. E-terrorists I see?

Provide a reason as to why you voted no please; the three of you. anticlutch, AthlonX2, DaMulta... the first two probably voted that on ego issues... ahem.

You see guys, I've noticed a lot of people getting pissed off when the first voter gives a very low vote, and gets away without posting a message or even leaving and indicator of whom it is.

PT's reason was reasonable, while DaMulta... not really; somewhat rude. And Athlon and Anticlutch havent commented... please do.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  25. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish multiple choice was allowed. It's both yes and no for me.

The "both" part: People start a case gallery thread expecting good ratings forgetting the meaning of the word "good". What is a "good" rating? 5/10. People voting below 5 mean "yuck", those above 5 mean "wow", those at 5 mean "ok, I find nothing wrong with it, neither do I find something extraordinary with it"....they're just being frank.

The "yes" part: People doing "hit and run" with a 1/10 or 2/10 need to state concrete reasons, if they don't, it's best for the thread starter to ignore his rating than make a fuss about it, genuinely I don't think it would affect others' rating just because someone gave a 1/10 without stating a reason. Then again, keep in mind who gave such a rating.

The "no" part: people doing 5/10 or simply giving any rating (barring insanely low ratings) need not state a reason as such because most people who come in to cast a rating/vote are sometimes either too lazy or too busy to make a comment spanning a few sentences. For example, when I last ran a poll on which video cards I should buy, 100 people voted in all, 50 people commented, people gave like 2~3 line comments but the interesting part is, people like W1zzard who is too busy to comment, at least took the time off to cast his vote. So the thread starter is the key. He/she has to look at who voted for what and draw a consensus and not make it mandatory for people to write a comment, not to force the system to draw comments. That way not too many quality minds would spare their time to comment. For example, when DaMulta casts a low vote, he's not spamming, he has lots of brains put to use before casting the vote plus he's too busy for a comment.

Bottom line: You have to adapt to the system and make the most out of it and not expect the system to change for your convenience.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008