1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A couple questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Omnisome, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Omnisome

Omnisome New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to buy an AMD Deneb 955 BE, and will be putting it on an AM3+ socket. What do I need to do to make this works other than put it in the board?

Another question, what is the difference between these:
    -HDZ955FBK4DGM
    -HDX955FBK4DGI
    -HDZ955FBGMBOX

Thanks

Another thing, someone told me that 4Gb DIMMs run slower than 2Gb ones, is that true?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    1. I usually check to have latest bios on motherboard, after install the cpu, in bios give "load optimized" option.
    2. I know that HDZ955FBGMBOX it is the retail/box version,with box+cooler+sticker
    3.No , it is not true, but the deneb have some problems when you have more than 2 sticks of ram on your motherboard, so I prefer to use on phenom II with 2x4GB dimm in dual channel and not 4x2GB dimm

3. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

HDZ955FBK4DGM is an oem [sold in bulk tray] with no heatsink and fan [C3 revision] unlocked multiplier

HDX955FBK4DGI is an oem [sold in bulk tray] with no heatsink and fan [C2 revision] locked multiplier

HDZ955FBGMBOX is a retail box sold with heatsink and fan [C3 revision] unlocked multiplier

source - http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/22...AMD_Phenom_II_X4_955_(125W__rev._C3__BE).html

Make sure the AM3+ socket motherboard chosen is backward compatible with the AM3 socket - Using the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 as a reference point, this will be possible
    Source - http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/#CPUS

4Gb Dimms and 2Gb Dimms [swings and roundabouts] populating two dimm slots with 8Gb would allow a higher OC in most cases , populating four dimm slots with 8Gb may effect how high an OC is able to go; you also have to consider lower latency and high frequency [just make sure it is compatible with the motherboard chosen]

nb: use a good quality TIM [thermal paste] and good quality heatsink if you intend to OC

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    Norton says thanks.