1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A-DATA S805 Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Darksaber, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2009
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    a lot of flash drive manufactures like to use two sets of memory, a fast one at the front and a small one at the rear. It helps trick some benchmark apps into thinking the drive is faster than it is.
  3. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Especially since ATTO only really benches with the first 8GB of the drive. But as long as we catch that and adjust the overall performance accordingly, all is well ;)
  4. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    back in the early days, many companies used 128-256MB of fast stuff at the front, since the bench apps of the time only tested the first available data slots :( it made for some very slow drives being sold as very fast drives.

At least these days readyboost capable means it cant be too slow.
  5. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    On page 2 - I'm sure you meant 32GB, not 32MB ( Not being a prick - just had a micro flashback to 1999 for a moment there :)

Nice, functional, design, horrible write speed, but on par with many others I suppose.

Biggest thing I'm missing on most Flash Drives now is THE FF--NG WRITE PROTECT SWITCH.

My first Transcend ever had a "on the fly" write protect switch, and it was AWESOME when dealing with suspect machines.

Now days just about NO flash drive has a write protect toggle, and USB viruses / trojans / exploits are through the roof.

It always amases me how, so often, the BEST of ideas simply get flushed down the toilet.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that would be so simple to implement... :banghead: But they probably think its too arhaic...
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    more like, too easy to break. a little switch like that is easy for the contact to get damaged, making the drive un-writeable and increasing the amount of warranty claims
  8. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm gonna flat out call you wrong there. (No offense :) )

My transcend is almost 10 years old now, and I STILL use it in treating virus infected PC's today, and it still works perfectly. (Its just starting to get a little to SMALL for modern AV software :\ )

And believe me the drive is battered & beaten to hell & back , looks TERRIBLE, but still works just fine.

It's also been through a washing machine once, dropped down stairs at least a dozen times, and just dropped in general countless times.

I would estimate that I have flicked the write protect switch a few thousand times in its life, but there is really no way of saying.

The only drive I have EVER had a problem like that on is my Kingston DataTraveler - which has a SD card reader built in , and it DOESN'T EVEN HAVE a write protect switch - One of the contact "finger springs" in the card reader was a little too soft and wasn't making contact after a few removals of the SD card. - That design failed in less than 3 months & its still in mainstream production in many other brands all over the world - so i cannot see warranty returns being a realistically plausible reason for removing the switch. But I will accept that ANYTHING is technically possible

I was using the datatraveler so I could use the write protect on the SD card itself, but never got to use it as the SD reader design itself failed before i even needed to use it)
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    Sorry bud, but that is really 32 MB - ;) That stick still works too.
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i lost my 16MB :( my smallest is a 128MB, i use it for bootable DOS.
  11. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, Re-Read the page :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. leotips New Member

Thanks Received: