1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Friendly Dusting Reminder

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jed, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    This is a public service announcement...

Clean out those internal case organs! I just qualified for a terrible case of "component neglect". I hadn't cleaned my case in months, and just went through a whole can of compressed air. Filled my whole room up with dust, and covered everything outside of my case with a nice sheet of it!

My CPU fan/radiator was completely clogged with dust - after a thorough blowout my CPU idle temps dropped from 42 to 34 C... Thats 8 degrees just from dust! If you haven't taken the time to clean out your case lately, be sure to do so.

Don't be an arrogant, thoughtless, neglectful owner like me. Be sure to clean out those fans, grilles, nooks/crannys and components!

This message brought to you by the Consortium for Computer Component Abuse Awareness!

:toast:

adulaamin, PatoRodrigues and Binge say thanks.
  2. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    If there was ever a service reminder to be had... this would be it! :laugh:

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    If you leave it long enough the dust will cake and that makes it easier to remove.

4. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely... Can't believe the difference it made. I also switched my fans from two outs to one in, one out, like logic would have it. But I'm not even bothering to put that in the message, I think I'm the only one stupid enough to not make sure this was happening in the first place!

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I do it once a month.

6. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I always clean/dust comps outside.

jed says thanks.
  7. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    There's a fine idea... Y'all are too smart.

8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Also, be careful not to force dust and/or grit into components or sockets when using forced air of any kind. You could create buildup in spots that's hard to remove it from.

And when using canned air, keep in mind it's Co2 delivered and can therefore quickly chill any parts you spray it on. If those parts are hot when you use it, it could cause immediate and drastic temperature changes.

I always let my PC cool down after turning it off completely before I used canned air, and let the parts warm back up before turning it back on after using it. Of course now I have a compressor, but for those whom still use canned air, use with caution. It can also leave a film of residue on your parts.

Chevalr1c and jed say thanks.
  9. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I only use canned air in case of emergency, preferring cut-to-size kitchen paper to the firstmentioned stuff.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    Building on this, refrain from blasting air into headphone and microphone ports for a long period of time. You could push the internal pins down causing them to always be shorted. Which means your computer will mute your speakers because it thinks you have headphones plugged in even you don't. Fixing this is a wonderful mess.