1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A good aftermarket GTX 465 heatsink/fan combo?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by carrots, Mar 4, 2011.

1. carrots New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I currently have a Zotac GTX 465 and I'm really impressed with the performance and overclocking, but I don't like the temperatures that I'm getting. I'm used to seeing mid to high 60s for the most part but if I don't raise the fan speed significantly with MSI Afterburner, the card will creep into the mid 80s and I don't like that at all.

I'm trying to find a decent aftermarket cooler that will fit the GTX 465 and also perform pretty well. I recently bought some MX-2 compound for my northbridge and my CPU so I'm ready to use that with it, I'm just not sure exactly what I want. I might put some of the MX-2 on the card the way it is and see how much of a difference it makes just taking off what's on there and applying something newer and better (and less of it, because when I took the heatsink/fan off when I first purchased it, it was put on there like putty for the most part).

Still, I don't really like the fact that the fan is so far away from the GPU on the card itself, and I just figured something aftermarket would be the best thing to do. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I should purchase for my card? Thanks it advance.

2. plunx New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, i've also purchased a zotac GTX 465 that runs a lot hotter than i'm happy with; basically same story you have, using afterburner anything above 800/1600/1833 seems to make it run at 85 or 86 C or so in my system (which is an open case style, by the way). that's where the card starts getting bad glitchy artifacts as well. if i have another fan propped in and blowing directly at the fan of GTX 465 i can keep the temperatures down enough in order to play a game longer than 5 minutes and it seems like this is the only way for me to keep those kind of speeds without the card getting too hot.

i've found two coolers on the market, i think, which are these:

GELID Solutions GC-VGA02-01 1 Ball, 1 Sleeve VGA C...
    ZALMAN VF3000N Enter VGA Cooler with dual 92mm fan...

they're pretty darned expensive, though.. i'm going to be getting some arctic silver, mx-2, or that antec silver stuff this weekend and i'm gonna see if that helps any more than the stuff i currently have, which it should (this stuff is silicone-based; when i originally took the heatsink/fan off, there was way too much thermal paste applied to it, it was almost ridiculous, practically the size of a large marble when all balled up). i'm hoping to be able to run this card at the speeds i want without having to pay $50 for a new heatsink and fan just because the stock one sucks so much. i know the GTX 465 uses more power than the GTX 460/470 but i don't think that should cause the temperatures to soar like they do; i think it has to do with the way the cards themselves were designed.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you want to look for the PRO version of that after market Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme;)
    please ignore the idiot behind the curtain;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  4. plunx New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  6. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    sneekypeet says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Oh shit, you are completely right, I mistook one for the other. The one to get is the PLUS version!!!!

Sorry for the confusion.

8. plunx New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow, that thing is huge! yeah i think if there's one to get it's definitely the Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME Plus.

9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Here's a pic of the AXP on my old 470. It will give you an idea of what it would look like on your 465. Temps will be right where you are wanting at ~60C depending on case ventilation.

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
  11. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    +1 to ZALMAN VF3000F(GTX470/465) VGA Cooler with dual 92...

I have one on my 470, install the fan controller and I can run this thing at 10% most of the time.. Much better cooler in both the temp department and noise than the stock. Temps are comparable to the accelero without the massiveness

12. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Zalman is a good pick too. It has a better VRM cooler than what AC gives you, thats for sure. My one issue is the color of the fan shroud (the zotac cards that have them use a black shroud that looks 10x better) :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i have paint for mine it looks dumb as fuck in green

14. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I have no window on my case.. so neon puke green is fine for me