1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A good LCD monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AsphyxiA, Sep 5, 2007.

1. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want a good LCD monitor, but whenever i find, what i think, is good LCD monitor, someone shoots me down and says it crap. SOOOOOOOO! What kind of specs should a good LCD monitor have?

my guesses are these:

1. The higher the contrast ratio, the better
    2. Anything anything<=8 response time is great for gaming, more than that is ok, past 16ms ghosting is very apparent.
    3. the higher the refresh the better.
    4. the higher the colour count, the better

what else should i look for?
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The biggest thing I actually look for, is a monitor that is NOT a Tn-film panel. They're fast, but they're contrast, color, and viewing angles are all crap. Unfortunately, 99% of all "gaming" monitors are this type.

I use TFT Central to research any monitors I am considering. They have a great search feature, where you put in the model #(without the manufacturer name), and it will tell what panel type it is. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Also read their little guide to different panel types. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
    nflesher87 says thanks.
  3. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    that helps
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Serious or sarcasm? lol Hard to tell.
  5. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    no it does help, but, most of the monitors are, well, TN Film. but if those monitors that boast to have 3000:1 CR, 2ms response, 16,7 and million colours, is that really going to look sh***y, even if it is TN Film?
  6. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
  7. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    just wait for them to come out.;)
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Some of them do look quite good, as long as you look at them perfectly directly. Deviate just a couple of degrees up or down (side to side has less effect), and you'll immediately see the colors and contrast change.

The ones with 16.7 million colors achieve it thru what's called dithering. The electronics in the monitor "fool" the panel into displaying colors that aren't native. Sometimes this can come across looking very unnatural. Your best bet is to try to see a monitor for yourself, before you buy it. There are sometimes a few "diamonds in the rough" in the tn-film panels, whose dithering and overdrive are executed brilliantly. In my experience, Samsung has the edge there.

Above all, I suggest avoiding 16.2M color panels. Also, don't put too much stock in manufacturer response times and contrast ratios. There is no set standard for measuring these parameters. Response times don't really matter much on the most modern panels anyway. Almost any newer panel, from a good manufacturer, will game or play movies without ghosting, regardless of response ratings.

As a tip, ACER has a few really well priced 16.7m color panels, that aren't TN-Film, but are priced like them.
  9. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    You need to let us know what size monitor your looking at.
  10. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    My monitor treats me well.. I use it to watch movies form my bed and it works great.. mind you too off center and the picture doent look as good.. humm looking now the colours/shade do get trown off a bit even just looking a bit off center.. especially after 15 degrees... side to side. hope that dont confuse ya to much and helps lol.

I got a 226 samsung... I thin all lcds get a bit trown off when looking from diferent angles though.
  11. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    my 22in acer lcd looks sweet in all games. Other TPU members have it to and they love it...
  12. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    model numbers perhaps?
  13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received: