1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A lesson in the importance of good thermal paste and keeping the heatsink dust-free

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by [Ion], Nov 13, 2009.

1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    As some of you may know, I recently purchased a used 9600GT. When it arrived, the heatsink was reasonably dusty, but it didn't look too bad. Well, the short story is it was. I had to run it at 50% fan speed to keep the idle temps under 65C, and the load temps would fluctuate between 70C and 75C. I decided today to replace the thermal paste with OCZ FreeZe and blow the dust out of the cooler. End result? Load temp (F@H) is about 55C at 35% fan speed. Total time taken: 10 minutes :p
    Here's a SS of it at load after the dust removal/new thermal paste:
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    im planning on doing that but with MX-2 paste i have a tiny drop of left

should make it run just as good as it used to

it used to run at 35c idle now its like 40odd c idle big difference to me is that it gets to like mid 60s during games when it never batted above mid 50s

3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    i got a 7600GT not too long ago and the heatsink and fan were seperate due to him watercooling it but when i mounted the HSF i lapped it alittle and used Arctic silver 5 and but washed it in the dish washer first to get that orange scent LOL! worked like a charm LOW TEMPS. i will post a screen shot maybe tonight or tomarrow but its great!

Crunching for Team TPU