1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A little help

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by stone_crash_wolf, Feb 7, 2008.

1. stone_crash_wolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

I'm currently having several questions for which i'm expecting some answers.(please :D)
    I own an Club 3D X1600 pro.
    Since i don't want to upgrade anymore , and i have plans to go on xbox360 area , i just want to squeeze as much as i can from this card.
    I touched somehow a limit right now , by overclocking it.
    The default frequencies were at 500 Mhz for the GPU and 500 (1000 effective) for the Mem.
    Right now , thanks to a bios flash with the original modified bios , the frequences have been increased to 580 Mhz for the GPU and 630 (1260 effective) for the Mem , using stock cooling.
    The card is stable at these freqs , but i was wondering if i can get more out of it.
    A thing i forgot to mention : i don't know at what temperatures is the card working , since it doesn't have a Temp sensitive diode(at least that's what i think , cause there's no software which can show me the temps. Not even Ati tool).
    Now , the questions :
    1. Will i be able to overclock it much higher if i buy an Zalman VF700CU cooler? (because if i set a freq of 590 mhz on the gpu , the card freezes. As for the memory , if i try to get closer to 1300 mhz , i get artifacts, and i don't think this is normal for GDDR3 mem chips.
    2.As i said above, the memory chips are GDDR3 , 128 bit , made by Hynix. If it helps , there are some serials on the chips : HY5RS123235 /FP-2 /638A /Y7ED2757TQ . I would like to know the maximum frequences supported by this memory type.(if anyone could find out)
    3. I am totally confused. Confused by the result of the Ati Tray tools benchmark.
    With the default freqs i was able to get only 2322 points , but with the new freqs i get 2 x stock and a little more? 5010! I did the test 2 times , and the 2nd time i got 4980 points.
    Is this normal? I just don't know what to think about that.
    4. Moving back to
    - might this be produced by a lack of power , which means there's a voltmod required? including the zalman..

P.s. if you guys need to see the card , i can make some pictures with it , having the cooler mounted/unmounted.

Attached Files:

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Since you have no way of monitoring temps, I would either try to use a infrared thermometer, or, just be safe and get a good cooling solution for it. Try to look around and see what others are getting for overclocks with your card.

3. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    give riva tuner try, it may be able to monitor your temps but Im not sure. I remember back when I had my 1600pro I had a really tough time OCing it at all.

You can download Rivatuner here!

4. stone_crash_wolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would like to know another thing. What is memory refresh rate?
    I just modded my card to an Sapphire X1600XT , but with lower frequences , cause i can't fight with the heat at the moment.
    I'm asking for that MRF , cause the original bios from Sapphire has "0x44", like my Club3d has, instead of ox45 which represents the default value of an Asus X1600XT for example.

Besides this , is there any way to lower the card's memory latency?
    If yes , could some1 help me with a guide or something?
    Does this worth a shot? Is it going to increase the card's performance?
    As i said be4 , i just want to get as much as i can from this innocent x1600pro (XT).

Another thing: Between X1600 XT and X1600Pro are many differences?
    Besides higher clocks for XT and maybe lower latency , name , bundle software etc.
    I was reading in the "GPU Database" here on Techpowerup[dot]com that the X1600XT , X1600Pro and X1650Pro are using the same core(RV530). so i can't stop thinking that is the same product with another sticker. I'm wrong?

The good thing for me , is that with a lower frequences than x1600xt , my card sometimes outperforms one of that , or in the worst case is below XT with ~100 , 200~ points in 3dmark 2005 for example.
    So i assume that with better cooling , a little bit higher freqs (or at least XT's defaults) , my card will outperform the XT in any game or benchmark.