1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A note from stanhemi

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, May 6, 2010.

1. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    CP, I think that is a little unfair. I understand the symbolic gesture here, but work done for WCG contributes whether its in your name, my name, or in no one's name at all.

Im going to continue crunching on my own account, guilt free. I know that Stan declined the offer, but if someone sets up a fund raiser like Paul did for loonym I will definitely contribute again. That is how I will choose to show my support for Stan.

KieX, GREASEMONKEY and Chicken Patty say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Points r secondary!! The fact of the matter is R U CRUNCHING OR NOT!! R u doing your bit or is it just words of sympathy towards those who die of this dreaded disease?

Stan,

Tread on bro!! We are all prayin for u. With all the good things that we r doing...something good will happen. As Panther said, Positive Mental Attitude does miracles. PMA has baffled damn doctors time and again. Show it to them this time!!

Crunch on!! Fold on!!

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No need to feel guilty, I had no intentions of coming on as unfair or mean or anything of that sort. I know work is getting done either way. But I don't see a reason why not everybody should have contributed at least a bit since our goal was to keep him alive and get him to be one of the top crunchers. The few peeps that didn't switch over could have made a bigggg difference. Stan didn't want the fund raiser so we didn't do it. Regardless of how broke I am I would have contributed. He didn't even take books and stuff like that like somebody suggested. Doesn't have to be money, but he doesn't want anything.

theonedub says thanks.
  4. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY

Thanks Received:
    I don't think "bragging rights" is a fitting description.I myself have a personal GOAL that i am trying to achieve in a certain time frame.SELFISH and GREEDY....yes. Most definitely not for bragging rights though.As far as crunching for stan goes.I have helped him out on a personal level in the past as far as donating hardware a couple times to keep his rigs crunching(you being included also in this CP):toast:
    During the last crunching/folding contest we had,I also assisted numerous people in getting their minimum required point's to get entrance into the drawing.Not bragging at all here,just felt the need to justify why I chose not to crunch for Stan Hemi.

mjkmike says thanks.
  5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I just switched the Sempron 2100 rig over to Stan. If nothing else, that will keep his name going. I too will probably switch my main rig back to myself once he breaks 3 million.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I crunch to cure cancer, feed people, etc. Anonymously and for no team. Team to me makes things sound like a sport. There's nothing sporting about getting sick or hungry, etc. I need no credit or thanks or even for people to know I'm doing it. I just do it. Really though, doing it for any reason is reason good enough.

DrPepper, Nick259, n-ster and 10 others say thanks.
  7. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Has anybody heard of Stanley lately? I don't see any thanked posts from him and my last PM was not answered. I sent another one. HOpefully he's just been offline.

8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Once I get my rig running, hopefully by next week, I'll only crunch under his name :p Not that I can contribute alot since I blew all my money in a power hungry PC and left with not that much to help my dad pay the bills lol. Can't find a f***ing job atm, but once I do, I could probably contribute more than I will

like erocker said, the goal of crunching is to help others. So if the reason is to show off, PLEASE SHOW OFF EVEN MORE :roll: I'll crunch to help the others, but by being under stan's name, I also keep the name of a fellow montreal TPUer alive (great idea thanks to hat and implementation by CP). Whatever the reason, it helps others!

Healing is time-consuming, he obviously can't be online too much xD He's been offline since June 11th... I'm sure it is because he has more important matters to attend to

I'll try to get more info, perhaps even go meet him with aCid888*, I'll let you guys know

9. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Well, after a fresh install of Windows, and some thinking, I'm going to go back to crunching for myself for a bit.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Puzzles me I haven't heard from stan in a bit now. Anybody got anything to say on that, seen him around or something?

11. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    I hope something hasn't happened... Didn't he say his sister would contact us if something did?

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Yeah and that hasn't happened either. Just really hoping he's alright right now.

HammerON, Solaris17 and Mindweaver say thanks.
  13. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Milestones Today
    stanhemi passes 3,000,000:toast:

Black Panther, KieX, mjkmike and 5 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    any news ?

15. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    7 days... :(

[​IMG]

16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    that's actually good news, he came back to see on the 17th, when last seen was 11th before... I'm guessing he has no time to come on the forum though...

On another note, it strikes again, one of my uncles has only a few days to live... Worst is that he isn't that old, his children (my cousins) are a bit younger or older than me... idk what I would do if my dad were affected by it... Its hard to see your family, people who have been at your side since forever, just disappear or suffer like hell..

Fucking life isn't fair... :cry:

EDIT: oh yea, btw I'm 17

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  17. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Damn, seems we can't even go a week without hearing about someone dying...

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    He's still gone for a few days and that's terrifying to know period. He hasn't answered any of my last PM's, since before the 11th probably. :( Really hope he is just not sparing much time to come on here.

I'm really sorry to here about your uncle bro. My prayers go out to him/you and your family. This is hard stuff, we are here for you even at your hardest times, you know how to find any one of us. Wish you the best! :toast:

n-ster, HammerON and (FIH) The Don say thanks.
  19. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My Q9550 has been down most of the day and all last night. It hasn't been stable... after alot of tests it's came down to my powersupply (corsair 750tx) or possibly my other 5850. Not tested the other 5850, but I did pull it and it hasn't crash yet. So, I'm hopping it's just my powersupply. It's back up crunching strong for stanley! :toast:

If so I'm think about getting the corsair 850hx or the 950tx. What do you guys think?

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I'll sell you my not yet used HX850 at full price :p :roll: But yea HX850 should be great, or XFX 750W. I wish the AX line would come fast :(

Mindweaver says thanks.
  21. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How about 1/2 price..... :roll: :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. onepost

onepost New Member

Thanks Received:
    i've got the 950tx - it is a great unit if you don't mind it not being modular.

23. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I didn't use it yet... I could still get full refund :roll:

but the XFX 750W is ~125$ IIRC

24. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    Amazing, really did not expect this kind of honest to God kindness and charity from the Internet of all places. Reading this certainly raised my faith in humanity a notch, keep up the amazing job guys. Here's hoping for stanhemi's return to good health :toast:

25. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the kind words man :respect: