1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Quick Mouse Review

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by flashstar, Oct 29, 2008.

1. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Today, I was intrigued after finding a suspicious package at my door step...

[​IMG]

So, I opened it up and to my amazement, there was a Microsoft Sidewinder mouse!

[​IMG]

Here's what it came with:

[​IMG]

The best part is the weighted cord holder/ weight holder/ feet holder.

Here's a comparison with my old Logitech MX600 which had a dying laser (pointer flew crazily around screen).

[​IMG]

Notice how the Sidewinder is noticeably more bulky than the Logitech, however it is lighter due to its lack of batteries. I recommend staying away from the Sidewinder if you have small hands.

Finally, here's a nice comparison shot:

[​IMG]

After loading up CSS, I was able to zero in and open pwnage upon the opposing team. I'd say that my accuracy increased from 40% to 60% just by switching mice (note that I haven't played in a while and I've only played briefly with the Sidewinder). Overall, while not designed for small hands (with less than medium-sized hands, you are likely to get cramps) the Sidewinder is very comfortable for extended gaming sessions. I also haven't used the automatic macro and 360 degree spin features yet. While there are arguably better mice out there (like the Ikari laser), you will be hard-pressed to find one for such a comparatively good price.

Pros:

-Great feature set (LCD/ programmable buttons, etc.)
    -Solid build quality
    -Very light and maneuverable
    -Weight can be adjusted in 10g increments for the best feel
    -Removable teflon feet
    -Comfortable for extended gaming sessions
    -A bargain at $55 2/3 day shipped from Amazon
    -Adjustable DPI on mouse and in windows (LCD displays DPI)

Cons:

-Only for medium/ large hands
    -Only 3 on-mouse DPI settings (can be changed in Windows though)
    -Soon to be replaced by Sidewinder X8.

8.5/10 Geek Points

Attached Files: