• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A REAL, air-tight duct from side of case to CPU fan?

Studabaker

System Name Built Entirely With Parts From CompUSA
Processor E7400 2.8 @ 3.6 [9.0*400/1.31v]
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 800 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) BFG 9800GTX+OC; GTS250 BIOS
Storage 2x WD 250GB AAKS in RAID0!
Display(s) 19" I-Inc LCD @ 1440x900
Case Ultra X-Blaster Clear Side
Audio Device(s) Audigy with X-Fi drivers; Logitech X-540s
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Vista 32-Bit
I wanna know about this. I bet this would be insanely hugely beneficial, but has anyone done it? Yeah yeah, the cases have ducts and grilles, but what about a truly vacuum proof intake or output of air directly to the side of the case? What about making air-tight ducts for other things like video cards?

I think I'm on to something here guise.

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
Sure, you could do it, but you mean air tight to the top of the CPU cooler right? Kind of impossible for a "vacuum seal."

Studabaker

Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Software Vista 32-Bit
Sure, you could do it, but you mean air tight to the top of the CPU cooler right? Kind of impossible for a "vacuum seal."

why not? you could put just a little bit of pressure on a rubber o-ring around the edges of the fan and mesh it up with the air duct.

I've done it a couple way's with good results in regards to CPU temp only: A side panel fan with a duct mounted between the panel fan and CPU heatsink "no fan mounted on the CPU heatsink" and a front mount fan with a velocity stack made out of a plastic flower pot. Velocity stack was taped to the the front of the chassis fan inlet and sealed to the front bezel with hot glue, then a cardboard duct sealed onto the back of the case fan, leading to a PAL HS "also no fan mounted to the heatsink". In both configs the duct was sealed off from the rest of the system, except that it vented from the heatsink, into the case. Sort of neglected the rest of the system in regards to airflow.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
^^sounds ghetto.

No reason it shouldn;t work, but good airflow in your case is probably easier and would yield the same results, if not better as the airflow would also cool the other components on the video card.

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Motherboard MSI Meg X570s Ace Max
Cooling D5 Pump, Singularity Top/Res, 2x360mm EK P rads, EK Magnitude/Alphacool Blocks
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600Mhz @ 16/19/20/36 1.35v
Video Card(s) MSI 3080ti with Alphacool Block
Storage 2 x Corsair Force MP400 1TB Nvme; 2 x T-Force Cardea Z340; 2 x Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Acer 32" Z321QU 2560x1440; LG 34GP83A-B 34" 3440x1440
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL; Synology DS218j w/ 2 x 2TB WD Red
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro+
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850G3
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Das Keyboard 6; Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
^^sounds ghetto.

No reason it shouldn;t work, but good airflow in your case is probably easier and would yield the same results, if not better as the airflow would also cool the other components on the video card.

+1 for good airflow. If the case moves air well, and efficiently, no need for a duct.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Air ducts are used in pre-builds like Dells where low airflow is a concnern and extracting heat from the heaviest heat output source is required (i.e. cpu cooler), if you have decent case airflow and decent airflow @ the cpu cooler itself there would be no need for a duct and gains from it would be minimal or not even noticable. I made a duct out of cardboard and tape once when i had my e6300 @ 3.5ghz/1.35v and AC F7P, I actually got higher temps with the duct...which went from the intake fan to the exhaust fan. So it really depends on the overall rig, the amount of fans and airflow, and the quality if the cooling imo.

^^sounds ghetto.

It was definately ghetto, but the paint job kinda hid the ghetto-ness! That was back when top of the line processors were Thunderbirds n most video cards had passive heatsinks, so yeah, bad idea to neglect the overall case airflow... One of the systems wasn't neglected in regards to case airflow, I added a bigger front intake fan, a bigger heatsink to the chipset and a blowhole with fan on the top case panel. A side panel intake fan was ducted to the CPU heatsink to supply the heatsink with fresh air; Gave pretty good temp results on a 1.2Ghz athlon at 1.3-1.4GHz with relatively tight memory timings. Without the additional fan the CPU was unstable when overclocked. With the fan, it ran solid.

My current ghetto PC is using the outlet of my radiator fan to cool the board/chipset/ram, with only the PSU fan for exhaust.. I still need to put in some other intake for cooling drives/ passive ramsinks/board/chipset, and possibly another exhaust fan or passive blow hole.

Overall case airflow is imporatant and shouldn't be overlooked. Keeping the stock case intake/exhaust, or adding to it, to increase case flow, use good wire management, then add another fan to duct fresh inlet air to the CPU heatsink, This SHOULD give you lower CPU temp results compared to just increasing the exhisting case airflow...

Completely sealed ducting, like with tape, or glue will make it more difficult to change components. Try to make the duct so that it has a foam gasket between the fan/duct, or CPU heatsink, so the duct can be easily removed when you need to get in there to change something.

EnglishLion

Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
Cooling Akasa EVO 120
Memory 2 x 1Gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1066Mhz 6,6,6,18
Video Card(s) GeCube ATi X1950Pro 512Mb PCIe (Accelro X2)
Storage Samsung 320Gb SATA2
Display(s) Samsung SM206BW 20" Widescreen TFT 1680x1050
Case Coolermaster Centurion 532
Audio Device(s) On board AC'97
Power Supply Hiper Type-R 580W
Software Windows Vista Home Premium
Benchmark Scores See my OC Blog @ http://www.rowan-house.net/
I think a duct from the outside (drawing air in from outside the building) to your intake fan would be beneficial especially in cold countries and during winter. You would probably also need to reverse the airflow so that the rear of the case was the intake.

But the internal ducting has limited success in my experience - better to 'let it flow'.

Studabaker

Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Software Vista 32-Bit
Well, I pulled down the duct that came with my case from where it was (about 3+ inches from the CPU fan) to just over the CPU fan, about a half inch from it, and I think it has made a difference of a couple of degrees. When I put my hand over the hole for the duct temps immediately jump 1-2 degrees. I don't understand why you guys don't/didn't/wouldn't think that drawing the coldest air (straight from the room) would help with CPU temps. IMO it's sort of like a cold air intake.

crtecha

System Name Coolin Runnings
Processor AMD X4 Phenom 9950 B.E. @ 3.3ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790x-DS4 BIOS Ver. F6
Cooling CM Vortex 752
Memory apacer PC6400 800mhz x 2
Video Card(s) Two ATI Radeon 4850's in xfire
Storage Seagate 7200.9 320gig+250gigx2
Display(s) Acer P191w 19' wide
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Antec Power trio 550watts
Software Windows 7 x64 Build 7100
Pics brotha. I dig your idea. I think I may try something similar myself. Im more soo leaning towards the gfx card option though.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Glad it worked - nowadays most heatsinks are to big to be able to use the side intake vent. Not many people using the standard style hsf anymore.

I don't understand why you guys don't/didn't/wouldn't think that drawing the coldest air (straight from the room) would help with CPU temps. IMO it's sort of like a cold air intake.

Because with good airflow the air inside your case will be the same temp as the air outside, with the added benifit of being able to cool more components.

EnglishLion

Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
Cooling Akasa EVO 120
Memory 2 x 1Gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1066Mhz 6,6,6,18
Video Card(s) GeCube ATi X1950Pro 512Mb PCIe (Accelro X2)
Storage Samsung 320Gb SATA2
Display(s) Samsung SM206BW 20" Widescreen TFT 1680x1050
Case Coolermaster Centurion 532
Audio Device(s) On board AC'97
Power Supply Hiper Type-R 580W
Software Windows Vista Home Premium
Benchmark Scores See my OC Blog @ http://www.rowan-house.net/
Well, I pulled down the duct that came with my case from where it was (about 3+ inches from the CPU fan) to just over the CPU fan, about a half inch from it, and I think it has made a difference of a couple of degrees. When I put my hand over the hole for the duct temps immediately jump 1-2 degrees. I don't understand why you guys don't/didn't/wouldn't think that drawing the coldest air (straight from the room) would help with CPU temps. IMO it's sort of like a cold air intake.

If you run a tight duct to your CPU and then cover the intake you starve the cpu of almost all it's air, hence the rise in temps, I'd expect more than a few degrees. This is not the equivalent of having no duct. If you use a duct you really need to be using a fan that draws in from the vent and blows down on the cpu, problem then is where does the hot air go? Usually it spreads in all directions and is not funnelled out of the case.

On the other hand if you encourage a linear flow from front to back and use a cpu cooler that also pushes air in that same motion then all air is quickly vented from the rear of the case. With a case that has good intake at the front there really shouldn't be any reason for the air to be any hotter when reaching the cpu than if drawn in through the side, unless you have a huge number of HDDs. The only additional cooling I'd add to my case atm is an additional fan on the rear of the 5.25" drive bays to speed up the air intake to cpu.

1fastbullet

System Name The Black Hole
Processor P4@3.0MHz
Motherboard ECS 945P-A
Cooling Air, via 5 fans on a Sunbeam controller
Memory maxed@4gig (Kingston SuperX)
Video Card(s) EVGA nVidia 8400GS
Storage (2) Barracuda 250s
Display(s) LG Flatron 19"
Case CS-51
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply Logisys 480w
Software Linux ONLY
Benchmark Scores Haven't a clue
I'm fixin' to find out

I just started a project that should shed some light on the subject.
I was given a 4+ year old Dell Dimension about a year ago. Since then, the (only) fan in the machine has become obnoxiously loud and I decided to do something about it.
If y'all aren't already familiar with a common trick Dell uses in it's computers, it is that the only fan in the machines are ducted with the intention of pulling air in from the front of the case, past the vertically arranged hard drive(s), and then through the fins of the CPU heat sink. Finally, through this proprietary duct arrangement, the hot air is ducted out the back of the machine. The fact is, it must work, because they've done it for a long time, successfully. (Granted, the anemic qualities of these machines probably make this technique more able to handle the heat generated than a machine of any power).
At any rate, the factory installed fan had to go and I didn't care to find and install an identical fan into the machine, so I opted to install a 120mm into the roof of the machine. I have completely eliminated the original fan and duct, so I may find that there is a problem with airflow across he passive CPU heat sink and temps try to skyrocket.
My intention is to run the machine without the duct system for a while and see what happens. Meanwhile, I am in the process of designing and fabricating (or finding and adapting something from a commercial source) a duct system that will blow air onto the CPU, instead of draw air from it as the original duct did.
At this point, the project is in it's infancy- kindly forgive the lack of "finish" evident in the enclosed photos. That will (hopefully) come at a later time. Also, let me mention that I had to do a bit of structural surgery on the machine to facilitate placing the 120mm fan in the roof, forward of the PSU. It required that the optical drive be moved down one bay and the chassis had to be cut back.

Attachments

• 3Dell (PostHack2).jpg
    3Dell (PostHack2).jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Dell (Post Hack1).jpg
    Dell (Post Hack1).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 835
  • Dell(Pre-Hack).jpg
    Dell(Pre-Hack).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 761
  • 4)Duct over CPU to fan.jpg
    4)Duct over CPU to fan.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 892

Studabaker

Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Software Vista 32-Bit
I just started a project that should shed some light on the subject.
I was given a 4+ year old Dell Dimension about a year ago. Since then, the (only) fan in the machine has become obnoxiously loud and I decided to do something about it.
If y'all aren't already familiar with a common trick Dell uses in it's computers, it is that the only fan in the machines are ducted with the intention of pulling air in from the front of the case, past the vertically arranged hard drive(s), and then through the fins of the CPU heat sink. Finally, through this proprietary duct arrangement, the hot air is ducted out the back of the machine. The fact is, it must work, because they've done it for a long time, successfully. (Granted, the anemic qualities of these machines probably make this technique more able to handle the heat generated than a machine of any power).
At any rate, the factory installed fan had to go and I didn't care to find and install an identical fan into the machine, so I opted to install a 120mm into the roof of the machine. I have completely eliminated the original fan and duct, so I may find that there is a problem with airflow across he passive CPU heat sink and temps try to skyrocket.
My intention is to run the machine without the duct system for a while and see what happens. Meanwhile, I am in the process of designing and fabricating (or finding and adapting something from a commercial source) a duct system that will blow air onto the CPU, instead of draw air from it as the original duct did.
At this point, the project is in it's infancy- kindly forgive the lack of "finish" evident in the enclosed photos. That will (hopefully) come at a later time. Also, let me mention that I had to do a bit of structural surgery on the machine to facilitate placing the 120mm fan in the roof, forward of the PSU. It required that the optical drive be moved down one bay and the chassis had to be cut back.

Nice. Good post and welcome to TPU. Definitely keep us posted! :toast:

1fastbullet

Processor P4@3.0MHz
Motherboard ECS 945P-A
Case CS-51
Audio Device(s) none
Software Linux ONLY
Thank you

Your acknowledgment is appreciated and I look forward to learning and sharing what I've learned.

1fastbullet

Processor P4@3.0MHz
Motherboard ECS 945P-A
Case CS-51
Audio Device(s) none
Software Linux ONLY
Wow, has it really been this long since I posted here? I intended to return and update before now.

My efforts to create a duct system failed- the little Dimension 3000 case simply doesn't afford enough space to accomplish what I envisioned.

In addition to the roof-mounted fan, I ended up going with a CPU cooler and fan and a newly installed 120mm fan in the front of the case. I considered ducting the CPU fan to the side panel but, from past experience, knew it would raise the noise level and decided against it. My new theory is that filling the case with fresh air from the front, forcing it across the CPU and exhausting it out the top would provide sufficient cooling. I found a couple Panaflo 92mm fans at Frozen CPU for 99¢ each, so I bought them in the event I needed additional air flow from the back. I've not needed them.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 732
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 714
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 574
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg