1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Simple Thank You: Orange Box Giveaway

Discussion in 'Games' started by DannibusX, Feb 25, 2010.

1. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I have found this community to be more than helpful over the last few months. I'm a gamer and a computer guy, but I don't know a whole heck of a lot and that is where TPU has helped me quite a bit. I have had a lot of good advice from many different members, so I came up with an idea to show how much I appreciate this community.

I have one (1) digital copy of The Orange Box from Valve to give away to someone on this forum.

The contest is this: Intel v AMD. Post what CPU manufacturer you chose, and why you went with them. Please do not respond other people's posts in this thread.

Now a description of the prize for those who may not know what The Orange Box is:

The Orange Box is a collection of five games from Valve Corporation.

Included in this package:

Half-Life 2
    Half-Life 2: Episode One
    Half-Life 2: Episode Two
    Portal
    Team Fortress 2

DISCLAIMER: I am not a representative of Valve Corporation, nor do I have any sort of affiliation with Valve Corporation other than being a fan of their games (TF2 in particular). I have discussed this giveaway with W1zzard, just make sure I had permission to do it.

Thank you to everyone for helping me not fry my components and keep my system up to date. The knowledge and utilities freely available on this forum have been most invaluable.

Good luck all! :D

2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    contest is approved

DannibusX says thanks.
  3. AKlass New Member

Thanks Received:
    I chose the Intel e2180 Pentium Dual-Core because it was cheap and easily overclocked to 3.16 GHZ At that time AMD was still playing catch-up so Intel it was

4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I chose the Phenom II X4 955 because it was comparable when overclocked to a Core i5, but substantially cheaper

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I chose the Intel Core i7 920 because AMD has nothing to go against it when it comes to raw number crunching power (exp. BONIC/WCG/F@H). So i chose the i7 because of having 8threads to crunch on and is a overall faster chip.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I choose the Pentium D 830 cause even tho it has netburst, it still can clock to 4ghz on just a small 0.05v bump in voltage :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    I Chose a Q6600, because it had/has a simply legendary price to performance ratio, and even today for £100 you still can't find a better offer it was the first True Quad and handles any Task with ease even today!!

8. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    I guess you could say I'm an AMD fanboy and have been since the K6-2 300. Intel is too expensive anyways... :shadedshu

9. MK4512

MK4512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I chose AMD because I've been using it ever since I've had a computer, and it always offers the best price to preformance ratio around, and it seems like components that work with AMD are cheaper aswell. (Also, AMD mascot FTW!)

10. xrealm20

xrealm20 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I went with the Core i7 920. Was able to snag one at 199.99 from Microcenter with a good price on motherboard as well. Wanted to try out tri channel memory as well =)

11. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    i chose intel because ive always had pc's with intel in and feel comfortable with them. Plus, like you, when i sought advice from this comunity this chip was wont hat was suggested quite allot so i decided to take the advice. I was told large amount of cache is important for gaming. I dont regret my choice or money spent in it, and the same goes for all other pc related purchase that members on here have suggested :toast:

12. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Picked the q9650 because my q6600 was to hot and had a hard time hitting 500FSB. With watercooling the q9650 is awesome and running 4.5Ghz for almost 1.5 years has kept my system a top performer, and still very competitive even against the new i7's.

13. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    I have picked the Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 because it was the first CPU i have bought in my first build 2 years ago,but last year i have pushed its potential even further and i am loving this CPU and hope it can last even longer since parts are expensive these days but i am happy with this old conroe CPU.

14. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I went Intel (i7 860 specifically) for crunching power. Got it at a steal as well :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    I chose the AMD Phenom II X4 920 because I have always been a big fan of AMD due to their excellent performing processor's at low costs. Also AMD supported components are much more affordable as well and still provide great quality and performance.:toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. yaji New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got the Intel E5200 because it was cheap as hell and i thought it would overclock well. Oh and I never had Intel CPU before, so I was just curious.

DannibusX says thanks.
  17. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I chose AMD.

I only owned 1 Intel CPU. All the rest (8) were AMD CPU's

AMD always had the guts to stand up against the big blue bully (Intel).

18. marvelous211

marvelous211 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel E5200 because it performs much better than E2xxx series or anything in it's price range. Good overclock ability to 4ghz.

My next chip will be 1156. Yes another Intel. I can't stand AMD chipsets.

19. Zehnsucht

Zehnsucht New Member

Thanks Received:
    I chose Intel because it was easiest at the time to find information about their chip to overclock and so on.

20. Pyeti New Member

Thanks Received:
    I chose an e7400 because at the time I got for very cheap through my work and OCs fairly well (like pretty much all of the core2 series)

21. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I chose AMD 2 days after the 1366 socket came out from Intel...

For me Intel MotherBoards are to expensive...

I have no problem with Intel's Cpu prices...and Intel Cpu's generally out last the Usefulness of the Best out at the time Mobo's/sockets

If Intel boards were priced similar to AMD mobo's and used the same socket longer I'd go back to Intel

I generally do 4 Mobo changes a year So in that respect AMD is the way to go

Look at it like this an $80 AMD board is generally pretty good whereas a $130 Intel board is bottom line junk and since the cpu itself is generally not the reason I upgrade I have to consider what other components would be best to upgrade and I like to have the money for better other stuff.

22. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had AMD For my first ever gaming PC at 12-13 years old, it was a when i was around 14-15 years old i decided to go to Intel.(im going with intel)

Why?
    Because of my overclocking needs and strive to get up to the top with any processor, which was very easy with intel processors. I had At least 4-5 Different Amd Athlon X2 cores from 2.0Ghz to 3.1Ghz and 1 Single Core Athlon at 2.5Ghz. But when i wanted to overclock, and have fun tweaking it wasnt really possible with those processors, and the motherboard that i was using had a locked bios and i was so bummed because i couldnt get any performance increase.

I now love Intel processors for there overclocking, tweaking, and the color blue which matches my antec 902. Intel caught my overclocking eye as simple as that. They offered the results on the sites, and i had the motherboard and platform to handle the tweaking freeness of a intel processor.

Amd finnaly caught up, but its to late for them really in my opinion and i will always use Intel for the overclocking and low voltage.

:D

Sincere,
    3volvedcombat (HAVE FUN WITH THE CONTEST MY FREIND AND GLAD WE COULD HELP)

23. troyrae360

troyrae360 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I choose AMD Athlon 6400+, becouse it all I own :laugh:
    Its a good solid CPU and hasnt let me down yea not to mention I have the ability to upgrade to the latest and greatest Phenom as my AM2+ Socket allows me too :)

24. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i chose AMD because they chose me. shortly after i went through a tray of 945 engineering samples i was contacted by AMD@austin and since then i have not looked back.

currently i have a phenom 550BE RB-C2 that i purchased (not an AMD gift) it unlocks to a quad and overclocks to 3.8ghz easily on air this is something you wont see having on an intel making it a huge value a 3.8ghz quad for $100 is insane. i also have a phenom 910 (a gift from a certain friend ;)) it sits very comfortably at 3.6ghz on a DDR2 board. unluckily bus's play to much of a roll for DDR3.

honestly all in all i think its a brand preference more than anything else now. i have never been let down from an AMD chip and i have owned every socket from socket A to socket AM3 including servers. same thing goes with Asus none of the board i have owned from them have let me down in the past and hopefully they wont start anytime soon

25. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    I choose AMD! Why? 12-cores!