1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Simple Water Cooling Question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Chryonn, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone, I'm about to set up my watercooled loop and was wondering something about the placement of the reservoir. i have a Swiftech MCRES reservoir to be fitted in a TJ07 case. i remember reading that in a given loop, the res should be placed physically above the pump to allow air bubbles to filter to the top. Is this still true, or can the res be placed on the same level as the pump?
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I'm no expert, but I would say as long as you get all the bubbles out, the res placement isn't super important, just probably easier to be sure that you get all the bubbles out with the res at the highest point.
    Chryonn says thanks.
  3. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    the bubbles always rise,so it is easier for them to escape once the res is mounted at the highest point..having said that,bubbles can still be trapped wherever the res is mounted,so for both setups it's sensible to give the machine a good shake to free up the bubbles.

The res in my pc is mounted down low but plenty of shakes while it's running and a shake when it's not helps identify where the air is...if you can hear water sloshing about then listen keenly for exactly where the sounds emanating from and tip the case whichever direction to suit the flow of air bubbles to escape to the res.
    Chryonn says thanks.
  4. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    It helps having the res above pump/rad etc. but not necessary since the in/out with that res are at the bottom so most of the bubbles will just rise to top. Some will get sucked back in but in time all the air will be caught inside the res and then you just add more liquid.
    Chryonn says thanks.