1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A small question on RAM and PageFile

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Black Panther, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This has long been bothering me.

Let's take the scenario of a game, Oblivion.

What I don't understand is this:

Sooo... pagefile is the memory which applications and Oblivion use which is on the hard disk, and hence is slow.

Now I've got 2GB RAM.

IF my system has got enough RAM to run basic XP (clean-booted) and Oblivion comfortably, how come if I check the task manager during the game it shows that my page-file usage soared to 1.5GB , 1.3GB of which is used by Oblivion?

Does that mean that the game has used up all my available 2GB of RAM and had to resort to a further 1GB+ from the pagefile of my hard-disk?

Does a game like Oblivion really use up 2GB RAM? People play the same game on 1GB RAM and even less.
    But if not, why has it resorted to my slower pagefile... and using 1.3GB from that as well?

:confused:

2. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    abolutely %100 not.. windows is just set up to confuse.. its a long story but when task manager says pagfile in use it dosnt mean your swop file.. it simply means total memory in use..

basically irrespective of what anybody tells u or u have read.. windows will only use its hardrive memory when it runs out of the real stuff..

so as long as the amount of pagefile in use is less than the amount of real stuff u have windows aint useing its swop file..

when it does run out the real stuff.. u will know... take my word for it.. your machine will grind to a hardrive light flashing halt..

most of what is written about windows and its pagefile use is years out of date and goes back to the day when 32 meg of ram was lot..

trog