1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Spider in XP..

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by trog100, Dec 4, 2007.

1. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well praps not a fully fledged spider it only has an X2 at 3330 and only two gpu legs.. but it does have an 790x motherboard and a pair of 3870 cards and four gigs of memory..

so far it seems a pretty pathetic specimen.. at first i thought it was in total hibernation as regards to its second gpu leg but it is doing "something"..

the fur bench thing exactly the same as with one card..

the lightsmark thing.. again exactly the same as with one card..

3Dmark 2005.. a slight gain up from 18000 to 19000.. at its default resolution its quite clearly system bottlenecked..

3Dmark 2006.. a slightly better gain up from 11000 to 13000.. again i think its system bottlenecked at its default resolution..

crysis.. well.. hmmm.. a 20% drop in frame rates with the cat 7.11 drivers..

cod 4.. hard to tell but i think its running the same as with one card fully maxed out at 1680 x 1050..

so far it looks pretty crappy.. but there is one redeeming feature.. 3Dmark 2005 fully maxed out on my monitor 1680 x 1050.. 8 x AA still pulls in a score of 16600 not that far behind its (system limited) default settings.. one card manages 11000 at these settings..

so the spider is capable of flexing its extra gpu legs but until some games/drivers come along to let it.. the poor thing is a waste of space..

this is in XP by the way..

trog

2. Exceededgoku

Thanks Received:
    get vista and a phenom

3. cefurkan New Member

Thanks Received:
    i didnt understand anything

could anybody state it more clearly and simple

4. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    do u want a real answer to that one.. it would go along the lines of "you must be f-cking joking" :laugh:

i might put my msi 790x board and second 3870 on ebay thow.. that sounds a better idea.. :toast:

trog

5. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    trog YGPM

6. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    Bad news there Trog, makes me think I should cancel my second card and stay with one. Maybe you should re-try the 7.10's before dumping the card. It has to be a driver issue :(

BTW I don't know about Fur but Lightsmark does not support multi-gpu's. I have emailed them about my LM performance issues and they stated that about my old 1900 x-fire setup.

7. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i have tried a couple of different drivers with no difference.. disabling the cat AI brings crysis back up to where it was with one card.. but it also brings 2006 back down to where it was with one card.. :rolleyes:

one problem i have is no games to test things with.. the 3Dmarks are so outdated they have become nothing but system benches.. bloody good adverts for intel systems but bugger all use for anything else..

crysis is the only game that might benefit from two cards (at my max resolution of 1680 x 1050) but two cards just dont work with it.. so no gain there.. that dont leave much..

for benching two cards with an amd system is no good.. any half decent intel system blows the lot out of the water..

for games.. well.. the only game i have that would benifit from two cards dosnt bloody work with two cards..

so yep i recon two cards are a waste of time.. so is the amd spider system.. sad to say..

i bought this to future proof.. but from where i stand amd has no future.. the future is intel..

i loved the idea of cheap and cheerful crossfire.. but unless ati get their act together the idea is dead on the ground before it starts..

praps there is only one way to learn but in retrospect i would go back to my single 3870 card sat in my abit na52 nvidia chipset motherboard..

trog

ps..and please no more buy a phenom comments .. at their current speed things would just get worse..

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  8. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the spider body (MSI K9A2 CF 790x mobo) and one of its gpu legs (HIS 3780 card) are now on ebay.. didnt take me long to dismember the poor bugger did it.. he he he

trog

9. cefurkan New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just understood

good morning bro
    welcome to realities ;)

10. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    he he he he :cool:

trog

11. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    did you get that crossfire patch they released for crysis... I read about it the other day on here.. Did it help at all??

12. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    hey nice system trog! let us know how CFX works out for you once it gets unlocked :)