1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Spin-out From OLPC Aims to Create 75$ Laptop

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Jan 11, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you imagine having a laptop which costs just 75$, the current price of a 120GB mobile hard drive? Well, this may become reality if the new venture formed by former chief technology officer of One Laptop Per Child (OLPC), Mary Lou Jepsen, can deliver on its promises. Jepsen left OLPC two weeks ago to form Pixel Qi, a company that's in "currently pursuing the $75 laptop, while also aiming to bring sunlight readable, low-cost and low-power screens into mainstream laptops, cellphones and digital cameras." As Chief technical officer, Jepsen was responsible for hardware development for the rugged and power-saving XO laptop, designed for use by children in developing countries. Currently this is only a bright project, no details, no specifications, no pics, no release date were announced. We're looking forward to seeing it in the hardware stores near-by.

Source: PC World
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  2. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    The orginal olpc was supposed to be 100$ but they had to make it to 175$ and on top of that a 120 GB hdd with a slow processor will only slow it down. It may look like I am agianst the OLPC but no I do say its a good cause but this idea of 120GB is bad. Children aren't going to use 120GB. I am sure rural children wont download illeagal movies through the Internet or actually buy orginals I am sure they wont run 4 Gb+ games etc. Now coming to word files. My mothers office files are only MS word files with 1 or 2 excel files and all of them fit into a CD that too these have been there from 4-5 years.
    So 120Gb is bad idea.
  3. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Who said it was going to have a 120GB hdd? I meant that the whole laptop will cost as much as the current price of an mobile 120GB hard disk.
  4. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    R&C pwnage
  5. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    I must have read it wrong or you edited it. If its the first my apoligies
  6. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    n00 w0rries d00d