1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Wireless Access Point Question.

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Techtu, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    So this is totally new to me but let me explain what I want to do, My sister has recently moved in a few doors away from me and as a nice gesture I thought I could get her up and running on the internet... my internet connection. The thing is I've been looking at wireless access points but seems they need to have an ethernet cable to connect to the main router which would be a problem in this case. So my question is, is there a true wireless access point of any type that I could use in this situation?

Ofcourse if thing's start adding up to a big figure (ie: same as a year billing on the internet) then we'd obviously simply do that - get her her own subscription.
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    how can it be truly wireless? at some point you need a wire, or at least a connection such as 3G.

if you want an AP as a repeater it can be done, but that means your initial router must be wireless as well... which would imply you dont need one, as you already have wireless.

just upgrade your router to have wireless N, and get her a cheap adaptor. maybe $50, and range should be good? it all comes down to the distance and materials between your routers location, and her house.
  3. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    My initial router is wireless (N), my sister from her house can just pick up my signal but a bit of traffic going by disrupts the signal and loses connection... this repeater you speak of, is that something I could set up wirelessly in her house to boost my signal? that is also what I mean't by true wireless... if such thing exists.

There is nothing between us really except the road which is the problem in all fairness.
  4. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    just get better aerials then, get her a USB stick with a detachable antenna, and grab something like a 7 dbi yagi
    95Viper and Techtu say thanks.
  5. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Would I be right in thinking the higher the Dbi on the antenna the better range it will give?
  6. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    in effect, yes. the key is that you need better on both ends, and people forget this.

yagis are directional to an extent - so you point it, and you'll focus the signal giving you less interference.

FYI i shared a neighbours wifi for about a month with constant dropouts and issues (upto 3000ms ping to the router) and changing from a generic 5db aerial to the 7bi yagi solved it completely. i dont even have line of sight like you do, i'm catching a reflection off a metal fence.
  8. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    But wouldn't point to point still be a problem when lorries or buses go by as if I'm not mistaken the point to point will still be getting the interference every half hour or so?

I've never experienced using WLan over the road before aha.
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the better the signal, the quicker it recovers. yeah she'll get ping spikes, but unless she's FPS gaming she shouldnt notice - hte connection shouldnt drop out completely, so everything should keep working as normal
    Techtu says thanks.