1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

a6-6400k, driver issue?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jpierce55, Jun 16, 2014.

1. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    I bought an a6 black edition, and Asrock fm2a55m-vg3+ motherboard for a new build. It is using Vista 64 (because I have a copy).

After installing Catalyst the g-card shows installed. If I go to display settings it shows a cat. control center link in the settings. If I go to CCC it does not show gcard options. If I try to run Windows Index Rating it rates the graphics at 1. I tried running Futuremark Vantage, and it says the hardware is not directx 10 compliant.

I tried cleaning the driver off, but when the system reboots I only get a black screen. I tried my 5770hd card, but it only gets a black screen or a BSOD hardware error screen. I booted on the apu, with the 5770 installed, and it did show gcard options in CCC. I tried a removal of the driver again with the 5770 and I only get the black screen. The only recovery after the black screens are a system restore.

I contacted Asrock and they claim the processor is compatible with the board.

Has anybody seen issues like this before? Any recommendations?

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I could be wrong, but I believe I've run into problems like this before. Turned out I was downloading half of the drivers required. I think there is an additional driver you need to have installed for the APU work as intended. Mind you, this was for a mobile APU.

3. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    I would love to know what the other driver was.

4. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    I'm assuming you're using the CCC 13.2 from the general APU download page?

It may be worth downloading the Win 7 drivers with 14.4 as a test.

Please try updating the BIOS on your MoBo, and then reset the CMOS on the mobo. (remove MoBo battery, and reinstall)

5. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    That did not help. It is the same issue, but thanks for the recommendation

6. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Are you downloading APU CCC drivers or Radeon CCC drivers?

7. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    I downloaded the recommended driver. I just downloaded the gcard 14.4 driver and was able to get the 5770 working. That is a step in the correct direction, maybe I will get the APU working later, if not, I do at least have an old gcard I can give them.

8. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    My only thought at this time is that Asrock is wrong and some incompatibility exists. I installed an old 3870 I have. It works. I uninstalled all of the CCC, and reinstalled. Now the apu only shows as standard vga.