• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A8N-SLI Second card not detected

Hotpot

I've just bought another XFX 6800GT to pair up with my existing one in a sli setup on an A8N-SLI motherboard. I've connected the power connectors to both cards, the EZ power plug to motherboard, flipped the EZ selector card on mobo to dual card mode etc. Only the card in the blue slot is showing up in device manager so obviously there is no option for sli. The graphics card that is showing is running at PCI-e X8 so the channel is actually splitting.
I'm using bios 1014 for the motherboard and I have flashed identical bios onto each graphics card. Both graphics cards are working when used individually.
Oddly enough, when the mobo selector is in single card mode, the second graphics card is shown in device manager although obviously sli is not possible as the channel is not split.
In the motherboard bios under 'SLI configuration', I only have the option to enable/disable EZ plug warning and also to set 'SLI broadcast aperture' to auto/disabled. I have aperture on auto and ez warning enabled.
I have tried a range of different mobo bios, chipset drivers and graphics drivers and this second card is simply not detected WHEN IN DUAL CARD MODE. This is my 4th day at this now at about 8 hours per day. It's driving me crazy. I've contacted the graphics card manufacturer's support, the motherboard manufacturer's support and the place where I bought the mainboard almost 12 months ago. But you guys know how THAT story always goes.
Can anyone please help? I was considering reformatting and reinstalling windows xp but I don't think that it would solve anything. Cheers.

Hotpot

Just an update. Asus tech support asked me to clean the selector card connectors with a rubber and reseat it. This didn't work but I noticed that the selector card was designated rev 1.01 but the mainboard itself is 1.02. Relevant? I don't know, but I replied to tech support and informed them of this in the hope it is the problem.

mex

Just one check and i am sure you have done this, but you havnt said,

Have you either put on the SLI bridge or if relevant SLI Card Adapter?

Hotpot

Yeh I've put the bridge on that joins the cards together. I'm hoping now that the prob is an incompatible EZ selector card for the mobo. It strikes me that the revision number of the EZ selector card MUST be relevant if it is actually written on the little card itself. If it did not matter, then there would not have to be a separate revision number on the card as 'one size would fit all'. Here's hoping.

mex

I had heard there was a few problems some of the ASUS motherboards where they changed there Rev from 1.01 to Rev 1.02. I expect they will tell you to update the Bios and drivers and hope it works, as i cant imagine there is anything else you can do.

My friend was mumbling something to me about Asus replacing them, sorry i cant be much help but this is not really my strong point

Hotpot

I suspect that the EZ selector card is PHYSICALLY different. If it was just a bios issue, they would not need the rev number on the little selector card as it would fit all revisions of the mainboard. I think that they'll wind up sending me a new selector card of revision 1.02 to match the mainboard itself. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

newmodder

System Name Gamer
Processor amd phenom quad core 9950 black edition
Motherboard msi ms-7309
Cooling 120mm front,120mm rear
Memory 2gigs ddr2 800
Video Card(s) BFG gtx 260 maxcore
Storage wd 160gig sata2 hd
Display(s) LG 20in widescreen
Case USP 100
Audio Device(s) onboard Logitech x-530 5.1 spkrs
Power Supply Antec Neo 550watt
Software windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
reinstall drivers?

i had to uninstall all nvdia drivers and reinstall to get my second card to work properly.

Hotpot

Unfortunately, it's not even a matter of getting the second card to work properly. The second card is not being detected by Windows; it's not showing up. Because of this, I doubt that it's a software issue and I'm inclined to think hardware. I'm suspecting a faulty/incompatible EZ selector card. I'll see what the Asus tech says about it.