1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aaron Swartz ~ Anonymous ~ Sign the Petition

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Phusius, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Edit: Argument is the over reach of the Prosecutor giving nearly 35 years in prison to Aaron Swartz for being an idealist and not really harming anyone, where as a rapist or a murderer gets less years in prison.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/posthumously-pardon-aaron-swartz/DVpdmSBj

and

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...z-office-overreach-case-aaron-swartz/RQNrG1Ck

Anonymous has declared war on the United States, but before I join them and before you join them I hope the White House response will show some justice. If not, then the hacking Anonymous has already carried out in the name of Aaron Swartz (U.S. Government sites such as Dept. of Justice, etc) shall be carried out in full.

There are many videos on Youtube of Aaron Swartz giving interviews, here is one of them, showing his idealism, he also has some with big networks such as CNN: Aaron Swartz - We Can Change The World (10 min int...

Please sign the petitions. If you do not know about the Aaron Swartz case I will post some links below so you can catch up.

http://www.aaronsw.com/

http://www.economist.com/news/obitu...-committed-suicide-january-11th-aged-26-aaron

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/12/net-us-swartz-internet-idUSBRE90B0G320130112
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You forgot to add that he committed suicide because of this. It's really quite sad that a person of such promise and integrity gets broken down like this. As a programmer and a bit of an idealist, I can say that more people need to follow in his footsteps and not take no for an answer. People can be receptive to a strong message, it's just a matter of getting it out, but without the support you can't stand up to "the man."
    remixedcat and Phusius say thanks.
  3. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just assumed people knew he committed suicide because of this, but yes you are correct I should be more clear as a lot of people surprisingly have not read about this yet. It is indeed a shame.

I am about to turn 25, and as an idealist if I made some big mistake thinking I was bettering the people and someone sentenced me to 35 years even though I didn't harm anyone, or commit armed robbery... I don't think I would want to live anymore either.

If the prosecutor in this over reach case Carmen Ortiz does not get fired due to this petition or even reprimanded, I have no problem at all with Anonymous going all out. There is a time to be a sheep and a peacekeeper, but sometimes you have to stand up for your beliefs.
    Aquinus says thanks.
  4. syeef

Thanks Received:
    I just looked him up on Wikipedia... Sad...

Bloody Govt.
    Phusius says thanks.
  5. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I was going to include his Wiki link as well, but I wasn't sure if I would be made fun of for using a Wiki link or not, as most people don't agree on that site as a good source. Thanks for using it though, I read it over and it does seem to be accurate at the moment.
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    He should have faced it. Also, Anon can fuck themselves in several ways. Also, WTH is the GN section still alive here at TPU? This should be at generalnonsense.net.

Anyway I don't think the prosecution was wrong as such, as what he did was illegal. He was probably a genius though, and a troubled one at that. I'm not blaming anyone for his death.
    WhiteLotus says thanks.
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I'm not saying that he didn't do anything wrong. I'm saying that the 50 year sentence that they were pushing was absurd and wrong.
    Phusius says thanks.
  8. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is a project to get the petitions signed. No one is arguing he did not deserve prison time, but more time than a rapist and a murderer?

Learn to read good sir, the argument is the over reach of the prosecution not the fact he was being prosecuted. Even Anonymous has admitted to this, they are fighting against the over reach in this case by Carmen Ortiz, not the fact he should have served a few years in prison.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  9. Ryleh

Ryleh

Thanks Received:
    The Ars Technica posts about it are pretty interesting imo too.
    Phusius says thanks.
  10. syeef

Thanks Received:
    I don't think he did something illegal.

U.S Govt. has been breaking into people's online private information and email accounts without even Judge's approval. Just ask Google, they just published a report mentioning the number of times U.S Govt. requested access to personal email accounts and Google was forced to give it. U.S Govt. has been tracking, copying and downloading private information without permission or knowledge of the information owner, and if they are not doing anything illegal, then so was not Aaron Swartz.
  11. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    good idea, free bump for you sir
  12. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I had a friend in highschool named Aaron swartz that was getting into programming and had strong opinions on politics. I havn't seen or heard of him in few years. When I first heard about this I thought it was him. It is not, but it really easily could of been.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    I had read stuff on him in the past and knew of the suicide. It pisses me off daily to see the corrupting influence of big money especially in politics. It is so far stretched now I doubt it will ever change. People have become such sheep.
  14. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with this, I already know these petitions will not work, it seems they never really take them seriously. /shrug