1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ABit IP35 mobo

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Waldoinsc, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Waldoinsc

Thanks Received:
    New build on a IP35...the board has a 4 pin Molex connector next to the PCIx-1 slot. Can this be used to connect a case fan if plugged into the PSU also (fan has male and female 4-pin...connect one to the PSU and the other to the mobo), or will the fan generate too much electrical noise for the mobo?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's for X-fire. If you're using X-fire...I would say use different molexs.

3. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    the molex connector onboard is for having your psu supply the pci bus with more power for x-fire, because the grafix cards are running out of power, and depend on the pci e cable + mobo power via the pci bus. and the pci bus requires the molex connector when doing crossfire because the bus starts running out of power.

4. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Its an extra power connector, and its not only for xfire as you will notice a IP35 only has 1 x16 slot..

Waldoinsc and kwchang007 say thanks.
  5. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    XD thank you niko. Forgot all P35's don't have X-fire

6. Waldoinsc

Thanks Received:
    Nope...using onboard sound for now....and no crossfire...this rig will be mainly for video editing...using it with E6600 Quad and 4GB G.Skill DDR2-800. Corsair's 520W modular PSU is swweeeet!

7. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, if you got an extra molex....go and plug it in, couldn't hurt. But unless you're running alot of the expansion slots, you shouldn't have any problems.

Waldoinsc says thanks.
  8. Waldoinsc

Thanks Received:
    I'm a noob

I didn't even think thru what you were saying...I saw X-fire, thought you meant X-Fi (sound card) not crossfire....been a long week.. thanks to all for that input.

So the extra power connector is to supply extra for the PCI-X bus as needed for crossfire support. Since my board doesn't have crossfire capability, does my original question stand? :wtf:Or will a fan send too much noise into the PCI-X bus?

9. Waldoinsc

Thanks Received:
    I'll give it a try...I have pleenty of connectors...just trying to keep to case tidy with minimal cabling

10. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Yup I have a IP35-E and I have it plugged in just for the heck of it, that makes sure I have even MORE power going to the board, especially being its in a machine with 2 12v rails.

I am certain I don't "need" the extra power, but its there might as well take it if it needs it.

11. largon

Thanks Received:
    Since nobody has actually answered his question:
    Yes.

You can power a fan using the on-board molex between "PCI1" and "PCIEXP2". You could use it to power a fan even without the y-splitter.
    It's not "meant" to be used as power output point but it would work since those pins are directly connected into the ATX24 connector.

12. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    my abit ab9 pro has teh same plug .. its to help stability of video cards, no u cant plug a casefan there ... btw how many fan headers does ur board have @ OP?

13. largon

Thanks Received:
    *sigh*

Yes he can...
    :rolleyes:

14. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Well I can't say much for the fan plugin itself didn't bother trying... But I have one of those silly bridge connectors on my fan molex, so I just put it between the board and my psu connection to the mainboard no issues..

Simple- Give it power because you can, can't ever have "too" many amps available. Then if you want sure put a fan on the same connector.