1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

About Fx8350 and turbo

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by pigulici, Jan 25, 2013.

1. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I have a FX8350 cpu(with the hardware from specs), I read about turbo function/feature on net, I tested only for 1 hour, then I turned off(my feeling it was that it work bad with that on), I use the pc for photo editing, movie, internet, and some games(casual gamer), so my question it is for those who have 8320/8350 cpu, it is better with turbo on or off?
  2. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    If you don't plan to overclock your FX, leave turbo on.
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    No, I don't plan to OC...
  4. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    It is most definitely better with Turbo ON if you're not overclocking.
    Turbo is essential for this architechture because it will partially negate the one big downside of this CPU: singlethreaded performance.

If you turn turbo off you will be missing out on a part of the single threaded performance that this chip is supposed to deliver and you'll be essentially not getting all the performance you've paid for.
    pigulici and Daimus say thanks.
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Usually AMD won't include something on all of their processors if it gimps them. Turbo is fine, all it does it makes one or two cores run a bit faster than the others the speed up single threaded applications while keeping the CPU within its power envelope.

If you're not going to be over-clocking, most BIOS settings will be fine on their default.
    Daimus says thanks.
  6. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    Well, I am not question the quality of amd cpu, but of today software(paralelism), so I think I will put on for a couple of days to see how will work in real life...
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Leaving it on will never make your CPU run slower. It will only make it run faster. By default it is on, so leave it on. If you don't OC and your machine is working fine, don't mess with it unless you're planning on OCing.
  8. commission3r

commission3r

Thanks Received:
    although you state that you dont want to oc, i think you should
    with your combination of hardware it should be very easy
    go into bios disable turbo mode and up the multipliers to 23 to reach 4.6 on all cores and set the cpu volts to 1.35
    thats it...
    the reason i suggest this is because i have this cpu
    if you leave turbo on, the speed increase is only to 4.2 from default 4.0 but the core voltage runs close to 1.4 and the speed increase is only on a few cores
    but if you really want to stay at 4.0 then i'd still disable turbo
    i can run my cpu at 4.0 with 1.2volts on the core
    things may be a little different for you but its worth the gains you will make to experiment
  9. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    So , if I do that , CnQ and C1E will work?, I don't need always all that power, and I want a silent pc when not work(photo edit) or game on it...
  10. commission3r

commission3r

Thanks Received:
    that is the down side, you lose those power-saving tools
    but if you are happy running at 4.0 then you will save energy by dropping the volts to 1.2 -1.24 your core temperature is unlikely to exceed 50oc

i personally don't enable those power saving options
    the difference isn't much when you're browsing the web or doing other no taxing tasks
    the way it works is that the core voltage and multiplier bounce up and down
    the system is never really idle, and id prefer to have it locked to a value rather than have it fluctuate wildly as it does

install cpu-z and use it to see what i mean when you have cnc & c1e enabled
    for cnc & c1e to work, the cpu multiplier need to be on auto

the other option you have is to use turbo-v, its on the support disk
    you can use that to create a oc profile that you can enable and disable within windows
    that would probably work better for you
  11. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    I prefer to do OS independent, I have a linux on same pc(work sometimes in html/booh), and I reinstall Windows 3-4 times a year, so to remake the settings are too much trouble...I will read about oc, until then I will see how it will work with turbo on...
    Question if I up multipliers to 23 to reach 4.6 on all cores and set the cpu volts to 1.35, the memory will remain at 1866mhz with 1.5v?
  12. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    There is NO need to reinstall the OS 3-4 times a year. Why would you do this?

All CPU's are not the same and 1.35 volts may not work on yours. You have to find the proper stable voltage and yes, upping the multi does not change memory frequency or voltage.
  13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    For the same reason Microsoft put options to reset back to stock into Windows8. Helps keep things snappy, especially if, like me, you tend to install stuff, use it for a day or two, and then never again for like two years. :p
  14. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    I have no problems with my computer or OS being "snappy". LOL, no need to reinstall OS.
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You clearly aren't installing tonnes of stuff like I do.

Heck, even my wife's laptop...gets regular OS maintenance by myself, no OS re-install in 5 years.

Redo the OS, OMG, it's like a new machine.

Many uninstallers don't fully remove stuff from your HDD, OS re-install is the easiest way to fix that.

Take an ASUS board, install AI suite. Remove AI suite. Check error logs...AI suite didn't uninstall services it installed and they error since they cannot find the apps themselves. Many programs do this.
  16. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    I don't trust M$, and yes I instal/uninstall a lot of stuff(I use ccleaner and ntgreopt at 3-4weeks for cleaning),I use clonezilla to make a backup after first install, but after some time , new version of driver/software appear, and often the old version don't uninstall complet...
    cadaveca says thanks.
  17. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:

I install plenty and my system works great.....

If your reviewing and you just want the essentials to overclock, yes. I agree with you to reinstall occassionally to get all the registry files and other services out. I had a seperate drive for my testing as i am sure you do. Too bad your a Canuck Dave, I would like to do some extreme overclocking with someone.
  18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    My main rig gets the same treatment. New drivers are the biggest offenders. Sometimes it's best to just do re-install.

And that's after I have already saved drive image like pigulici above. Uninstallers just plain old suck. AMD released a new un-install app..OMG it fucked so much OS stuff up hardcore. System restore fixed that, but many users turn off system restore...they'd need OS re-install to fix things if they ran that app.

I also tend to have far less issues with software than most users I talk to regularly, and I can only attribute this to my OS re-installs. It's not like I really do anything special, really.
  19. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    Yes, nothing compare with a just clean instaled windows 7 with all driver/update uptodate, maybe a linux who work same speed like first day ,after a year of abuse him....
  20. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    So far, it is going better with turbo on, I will stick with that...