1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

??? about Mac OSX installation

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by MohawkAngel, Nov 30, 2010.

1. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want to install Mac Leopard OSX on an old Power Mac G4 will it fit? Also I wanna know if the mac installation CD contain all languages on one installation DVD or you have to get french dvd for french, english dvd for english installation ?

Thank you

2. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Leopard still supports the PPC, however a G4 wouldn't be the best CPU to run it on. I would suggest using Tiger (10.4.11 is the latest version).

3. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean by PPC ? Its the frst time I install a Mac Osx. Someone gave me that computer so. Also I have the .DMG unique file of the Leopard 10.6.3 in my computer using windows so how must I burn it to be sure that the dvd will be read properly by the mac computer ? Do I just burn the .DMG directly on a dvd and at startup mac computer will read it ?

4. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    PPC is PowerPC CPU. That PowerMac is a PowerPC G4 (i.e. 4th generation). Leopard was really designed to run on the PowerPC G5.

With regards to the DMG, download a program that supports DMGs and then burn it to a DVD (if your PowerMac has a DVD drive, that is!).

5. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a spare dvd reader i will plug on the power mac but the burner is on this windows 7 computer. Should i have to open the .dmg like Winrar or winzip do with windows or i take the .DMG and dump it right into the dvd ?

6. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    No, you have to burn it to the disc with a proper burning utility. Just dumping it on the disc won't work.

7. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used TransMac. 15 days free trial but even a newbie like me in Mac could do it with this program.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010